We try to kill SCP-682...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: We try to kill SCP-682...

Post by Ahriman238 »

Blink-bomb?

Ultimate Nullifier.

Gravitonic Implosion bomb.

Dr. Manhattan.

Teddy Roosevelt.

Children of the Lens.

Any of the more wanktastic Lensmen or Culture weapons. Including an E-Dust Assasin.

Strand it on a Necron Tomb World.

Omega Beams?

Wormhole Weapon.

Herr Thanas, supported by Otto von Bismarck and his 300 lbs Seal of Disapproval. Surely together they can oppress the beast.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

Pennance Stare.

Specifically the version presented in this clip: link

Following this experience, Galactus decided to let himself starve to death rather than deal with the guilt of his actions. He only came around again after a plan to send him off to feed on planets without intelligent life.

The target entity is intelligent and prone to murder. The forced empathy will either get it to reform or kill itself if it knows how to do so.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Chirios wrote:I think I've figured it out ladies and gents.

682 is based on Wolverine's healing ability right, that's why it survives everything. So what we need is the Muramasa sword from the marvel universe.
682 is only based on Wolverine in the "easy to hurt, hard to kill," idea of a character, although he is admittedly hard to hurt as well. As The Vortex Empire pointed out, no guarantee that it would work. The blade was forged with a piece of Wolverine's soul so it is likely the retardation of regenerative abilities is a special property that only applies to people with healing factors like Wolverine.

Also, you got it wrong, 682 isn't hard to kill because he can heal, he's hard to kill because he can adapt. The acid bath is enough to keep his healing capacity occupied, and fire has repeatedly shown itself useful in containing him (flamethrowers mind, anything stronger seems to trigger an adaptation reflex). Your best bet at killing/containing the thing is what the Foundation is already doing, finding a means of damaging him enough that all he can do is regenerate while not damaging him enough to trigger him adapting to whatever you're using an then breaking containment. Consider the termination attempt with SCP-536, SCP-682 is reduced to 1% of its normal mass, the only reason it survived is that it somehow managed to adapt to the changing conditions by taking on the form of some unknown type of matter that could endure the changes. It's possible that 682's regeneration would have eventually kicked in (and that would be a frightening possibility) and he would have returned to normal, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the adaptation ability that saved the day there.

That being said, there are still options available to them to off the lizard. I'm in favor of using SCP-294 again. It did actually produce something that could kill SCP-682, it's just that said substance ended up nuking the surrounding area. Next time rig the maching so that it drips the stuff directly onto 682, problem potentially solved. Another would be using SCP-034 again with a similar protocol, but try and keep 682 knocked out using indefinately using drugs or something. Another option might be to throw that transformed version of 682 into 536 and see if that would work, although the damage 682 would take might be considered destroying the surface layer of skin and thus rendering 034 useless again. I'd also be curious about using SCP-914 in conjunction with any weapon that has shown to be effective against 682 in the past. Just set it in there on Very Fine and then test on 682, reiterate the process until you finally develop a weapon that can off the thing.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So 682 is a slightly weaker version to Doomsday? :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Kinda sorta yeah. 682 doesn't get to keep its adaptations unlike Doomsday, but its adaptations are less one-trick-pony like too, not to mention 682 doesn't need to die in order to adapt. There is also the fact that 682 is intelligent while Doomsday is not*. Also fear only makes 682 stronger as opposed to its effect on Doomsday*.

*Doomsday did eventually develop intelligence and along with it the capacity to feel fear. This apparently hampered him and made it so Superman could beat him in a fight (since Doomsday now feared getting hurt and dying) without needing to power up Supes somehow. I believe current comics though (pre-reboot, but after this nonsense with Doomsday) made him a brute again, but found some other way to depower him enough for Superman to be able to fight him. :banghead:

Also I recently found this while spending some time on the SCP wiki. See SCP-682 vs SCP-076. FIGHT I knew I had seen something about those two going at it before, but when I checked the termination log, I couldn't find anything. Apparently if you actually kill 682, reality gets warped to immediately bring it back, incapacitated and severly injured, but its back all the same.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

quantum math manipulating garbage man from Dilbert...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear

Alternatly H.P. Lovecraft housecats, dream, dream, dream, what species....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I concentrate on targeting and destroying the mechanism it uses to adapt to dangers since that the one things it can't ever fundamentally change, making it its one true persistent vulnerability.
Organizer-G1 cells? I poison them. Invincibility gland? I irradiate it. Magical Gem of Immortality? I travel back in time and smash it before it's completed. Once that's done I shoot it in the head until it croaks. Then I phone my buddy Phoonzang, borrow his Cosmic Forge and write the beast out of the Book of Destiny for good measure.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Did they ever try turning SCP-682 into another Dr. Bright?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I know they tried 294 and that ended up destroying the facility but what would have happened if they put 682 in the same facility and then ask for a liquid that could kill 682 for good. :)

If not then try 242, 244, 280 or 314. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Yosemite Bear

adapt, hmmm, so it can regenerate from almost total destruction, by "adapting" well this isn't too hard. concrete, lots of concrete. doesn't matter, it can't eat if it can't move. try adapting to THAT

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

there are things that eat concrete you know. and if not it could excrete sulphur compounds (should have plenty internalized due to that sulphuric acid bath) and rot it's way out.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:adapt, hmmm, so it can regenerate from almost total destruction, by "adapting" well this isn't too hard. concrete, lots of concrete. doesn't matter, it can't eat if it can't move. try adapting to THAT
Good idea, but it doesn't need to eat and can be ridiculously strong sometimes- I'm not sure the concrete would hold it indefinitely. It definitely won't kill the thing.

Though, honestly, it's actually not the worst idea for containment of the beast.
The Yosemite Bear

well there's always using some to reduce it's temprature to 0*Kelvin....

The Yosemite Bear

also note that with proper electromagnetic manipulation one can crush or levetate organic materials

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:well there's always using some to reduce it's temprature to 0*Kelvin....
It can survive having physical constants twiddled, Bear. As far as we can tell, it's not even made of atoms, or at least its survival does not depend on being made of atoms. It can definitely handle something like having all the chemical processes in its body stopped 'until further notice.'