Station Of SD.Net

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Station Of SD.Net

Post by Demiurgas »

By the Powers That Be, we are stranded on a Space Station in a foreign universe, informed mentally that we must survive, and deal with the wide variety of threats that come from many different Sci Fi settings, including Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Star Gate, and others.

We all wake up in a Space Station equipped with holograms/droids/etcetera which teach us how to be competent in the tech and other aspects of our new society/Sci Fi setting. Something like the Force exists in this setting, and we are all immensely powerful latent users of this Cosmic power. However, depending on the personalities, and mental/other attributes of our members, these powers will take on different forms. A Fantasy Geek would be like Gandalf, a Sci Fi Geek would be like Obi Wan, etcetera. At the start of this thread, members will describe what their Cosmic abilities will be able to do. Google JRPGs, Dungeons and Dragons, games like Skyrim, Dragon Age, etcetera, and/or get creative in how they want to become Super Powered. Generally say what area of specialty you are advancing in per turn (One Turn is 1 week, or less), and I will tell you of your success rate in learning.

In the Star Destroyer Net Station, there will be no form of government or hierarchy at first, however, eventually some kind of order will be established, and different cliques will form.

Technology is comparable to some level of Babylon 5 First One level. We are more powerful than both Shadows and Vorlons, if we could only get our acts together and cooperate in a coherent manner. Nearby is the Ragun Sector, a collection of worlds that could be invaluable allies. However, despite our powerful technology, we have yet to begin how to learn how to operate it, and what's even worse, we are fractile and non-cooperative. At our present state, low level Sci Fi powers, maybe even as low as Battle Star Galactica type threats, can be a very real danger.

NOTE: Each turn is 6 months of game time.

Character Sheet:
Username:
Personality: (Required, in order to assign bonuses to your Cosmic powers.)
Real Life Experience: (Job experiences, or at least special attributes which are positive to contributing to the Station.)
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Station Of SD.Net

Post by Ahriman238 »

Turns? Are you running a RAR or a game here?

Could you, perhaps be a little more specific than "more powerful than B5 First Ones?"

So we're all powerful Wizards/Jedi depending on our personal inclinations (and I really doubt it will be as simple as dividing us into sci-fi geek or fantasy fan) so that makes us personally powerful and gives us a lot of options.

I'm really kind of at a loss as to the point here. You give us the ability to curbstomp most or all enemies and give us the single challenge of coming up with a workable Emergency GOvernment before we're attacked. Why?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Is there a list of terms for me to look up? What's a RAR? This is supposed to be a game, yeah.

What I mean by the First Ones comment is more how powerful the Station is, rather than how powerful we all are individually. We'd be equal to the Third Space Aliens, I suppose.

As far as powerful we all are, well, it's not so much that we begin as all powerful Anakin Skywalker. We all have to work our way up our own power ladder. Those interested in a Dungeons and Dragons style of mage would learn how to cast cantrips first, then first level spells, eventually learning up to 9th, after several years, for example.

The reason why we have all these abilities is to make it fun. We would need a government so we won't all kill or back stab eachother. At the moment, we are all kind of stuck in a comfortable but still restrictive Space Station with only eachother and no where else to go, we are fractile, and, despite having small arms from the Station, still like mewling kittens straight out of their momma's womb. Like I said, low level factions could stomp on in and wipe us clean.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

A RAR is when a board member posts a hypothetical scenario, basically like this, without specifying things like turns or asking for character sheets. There's usually at least one on the first page of fantasy.

Hmm. Well, If I had to pick I'd like to be a Light Other, such as in Lukayenko's Nightwatch books. The magic system is extremely practical, they can enter the magical realm that is the source of their powers, and the first things they learn to do are things like turn invisible, get around locked doors, and fuck with people's minds.

I agree we need a government very quickly, so the first thing we need to do is get together and make an emergency government, as well as hammer out the most obvious unwritten laws that now need to be written. Little htings like not killing or mind-controlling each other, enemies I'll assume for the moment to be fair game.

Then again, trying this didn't work out too well in the dragon thread not long ago.

Once we get organized, it's time to cram on our advanced technologies and new powers so we can defend ourselves.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

OK. Because I'm bored, I'll jump in. I want a Green Lantern ring.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Ahriman, the NightWatch Wiki is very sparse in information. I will allow NightWatch based magic for now, however.

As for Panzersharkcat. Hm... A Green Lantern Ring just seems so out of place.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Ahriman, you do realize that Others' powers are based directly on the number of people around them, and that they'd be nearly powerless off Earth, right?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Please note that the Government may become something of a Federation (For lack of a better word) due to NPC action and not a precise Government. However, members may vote on measures to be taken when the government is made.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

fgalkin wrote:Ahriman, you do realize that Others' powers are based directly on the number of people around them, and that they'd be nearly powerless off Earth, right?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Sure I do. But Anton was able to mooch off enough energy for a 2nd level spell just strolling down a street for a couple of blocks. I figure as long as I'm in a city, town, or a Space Station with a couple thousand people in it, I'll be fine. Besides, it makes it very easy for me if I ever think I'm losing control of my powers, I can just go be a hermit for a bit.

In the meantime, I have mobility down better than most, healing, remoralization, combat utility, and the ability to enter a magic realm where few, if any, of you or the ones outside the station can follow or hurt me. True, it comes with a compulsion to do good, but I like to think I'd do that anyways.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

You said a sci-fi geek would be like Obi-Wan, therefore as a comic geek, I pick Green Lantern. If I can't, then fine, give me my MEC Gauss Minigun and Advanced Power Armor.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

Hm, you know, I've always been fond of the Patryns from the Death Gate series. Language-based magic bound up in runes tatooed on the skin, spoken words, and drawn sigils.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Ahriman238 wrote:
fgalkin wrote:Ahriman, you do realize that Others' powers are based directly on the number of people around them, and that they'd be nearly powerless off Earth, right?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Sure I do. But Anton was able to mooch off enough energy for a 2nd level spell just strolling down a street for a couple of blocks. I figure as long as I'm in a city, town, or a Space Station with a couple thousand people in it, I'll be fine. Besides, it makes it very easy for me if I ever think I'm losing control of my powers, I can just go be a hermit for a bit.

In the meantime, I have mobility down better than most, healing, remoralization, combat utility, and the ability to enter a magic realm where few, if any, of you or the ones outside the station can follow or hurt me. True, it comes with a compulsion to do good, but I like to think I'd do that anyways.
Not quite. He needed to trek across the city for hours to get that power. And that was on top of the power he gets ordinarily in the background.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Cesario wrote:Hm, you know, I've always been fond of the Patryns from the Death Gate series. Language-based magic bound up in runes tatooed on the skin, spoken words, and drawn sigils.
Patryns are a non-human race.

New rule. From now on, provide Wikis or something like a Wiki when proposing your learning sets.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Cesario

Post by Cesario »

Demiurgas wrote:
Cesario wrote:Hm, you know, I've always been fond of the Patryns from the Death Gate series. Language-based magic bound up in runes tatooed on the skin, spoken words, and drawn sigils.
Patryns are a non-human race.
A human offshoot, yes, though humans in the series have been able to learn and utilize Patryn and Sartan runes. (Though was Gandalf technically human either?)
Demiurgas wrote: New rule. From now on, provide Wikis or something like a Wiki when proposing your learning sets.
Hm, surprisingly few of those for this series.

The magic system is described as probability manipulation on crack based on a lay-person's misunderstanding of quantum theory. Here is a link to the technical description:
link

In practice it's your basic wizard spell lists like teleportation, invisibility, paralysis, true shot, healing, physical enhancement, enchanting, object creation, and the like accomplished through speaking magic words and drawing glowing symbols in the air.

Patryns tatoo runes on themselves as an enhancement technique and to ensure basic utility spells are on hand at all times, but that seems to be a largely cultural thing. The standard kit for those results in them glowing and itching in the presence of danger, allows for the Patryn to enter into a regenerative coma and go into such a coma with others, and provides for a passive defense against most forms of attack. As a latent user, I imagine I would need to figure out how to put those defensive, warning, healing, and enhancement runes onto myself, and meanwhile would be stuck with just whatever instant runes I could manage.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

I"ll think about it.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

As a D&D gamer, I'd be an artificer. What's better than space tech? Magic space tech!

Now if somebody gets us some sort of practical nanoassemblers my job gets even easier as crafting time drops, we can make a wider range of cool stuff, and I can top it off with magic.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Demiurgas wrote:
I'll think about it.
OK. Just saying I'd be underpowered by the standards of everybody else.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

Panzersharkcat wrote:OK. Just saying I'd be underpowered by the standards of everybody else.
Universe raping magic is fine, armor and a gun is overkill... I get the feeling the OP hasn't thought this out.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Panzersharkcat wrote:
Demiurgas wrote:
I'll think about it.
OK. Just saying I'd be underpowered by the standards of everybody else.
Well ok.

S.Lacker. . . you're approved too. How do I multi-quote ?
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

I don't think this board has an automatic multiquote. Just open two quote reply windows at the same time and copy the text of one into the other window.
S.L.Acker
BANNED

Post by S.L.Acker »

Code: Select all

Or you can just [quote]Blah blah blah[/quote].

If you want to be fancy you can always [quote="name here"]Blah blah blah[/quote]
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

So, just checking up, we're on a very powerful space station, with holodeck instruction manuals, and magic/psionic powers, in a sort of polyglot galaxy containing the races/factions from Wars, Trek, Stargate, and B5. Possibly more. Which we will have to deal with. Most or all of these will be incapable of destroying or capturing the station if it is manned by competent and determined defenders (ergo, we must become competent, determined, and unified in a very short timeframe) but most or all of these factions will covet our advanced technology and powers. We have potential allies nearby in the form of the Rabun, but must figure out diplomacy with them. Assuming we are unable to make peaceful contact with the Federation, Rebel Alliance/New Republic, Earth Alliance, Minbari, SGC etc.
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

Do the hero factions of these respective universes actually exist in this universe, or are we dealing with just the villains of all these franchises with potential original character allies?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Cesario wrote:Do the hero factions of these respective universes actually exist in this universe, or are we dealing with just the villains of all these franchises with potential original character allies?
I would presume so, in the abscence of input from the OP. Otherwise we all get our geek on, give the heroes a leg up and priceless intelligence drawn from our vast knowledge of their worlds, history, possibly their futures.

With a couple of these (I'm mostly thinking of Star Wars, but also applies to the others to a lesser extent) it would be useful to know roughly what timeframe in their universe they're in. Normally when we do vs. debates we presume the Empire fomr the time of the original trilogy and the Federation from the "present" post DS9, post Voyager, post Nemesis. But that need not be fixed there. With B5 it'd be nice to know if the First Ones are still around (even if we have technical parity, I'm not looking forward to fending off a fleet of Battlecrabs) or if Clark is president etc. WIth Stargate it'd be nice just to know if they have pew-pew lasers yet.