Non BS ways of dealing with speedsters

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Non BS ways of dealing with speedsters

Post by Batman »

Or simply not be in the room?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
VarrusTheEthical
Padawan Learner

Post by VarrusTheEthical »

Batman wrote:Or simply not be in the room?
Eh, it's not the same if I have to gloat at my fallen enemy over an intercom.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Add this to the Gloat:

You are so low, you are not even worth the effort of being there to watch you die in person.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

Now, these Speed Attack Dogs/Wolves you're talking about. Are they canines modified to be speedsters, or canines on speed? :P

Similar effect, really, just to different degrees...
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Worse. They are canines on speed that modifies them to be speedsters.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Oh, that's much worse. Imagine the comedown from it! Not only would you be feeling the standard amphetamine aftereffects, but you would no longer be superhuman!

Hell, that could be the villian's shtick. They've managed to temporarily artificially induce superpowers - everything from a speedster's speed, to a metamorph's shapeshifting, to a flying brick's... flying... brickness. Unfortunately, as well as the innate addictiveness of being literally superhuman, the various flavours of superpower require various flavours of illegal drugs... or do they? Our hero(es) find out that something Is Not Right (perhaps when their friends try to become superpowered to help them)*, and attempt to find out more, leading the villian to move to step 2 of their (stupid) master plan, threatening the world with their superpowered animals and hopelessly addicted users, coercing those who aren't just getting a kick out of wrecking shit with superpowers while high with the threat of removing their access to their powerdrug of choice, and using entire warlord's/small ambitious countries' forces, all of which are superpowered (being the only supplier, of course).

Then you have the heroes (by this time, a team-up is inevitable) trying to get to the villian, fighting through all those people who wouldn't be supervillians if it wasn't for the drugs, blah blah blah, close with a Public Service Announcement about Just Say No to Drugs, kids!

* - Hell, in the build-up, you could have copycat heroes, long-time crooks that have lived in fear of being on a job when a hero drops in, people who want to ruin a heroes' life by pretending to be them publicly doing evil stuff, good people who want to help but end up causing even more collateral damage than the usual heroes - and then coming down from it at the worst possible time, people who don't think things through enough (especially when high) and coming down in mid-air or something, and people who have just plain gone mad with power.

(By the way, I was also thinking of the superpowered attack dogs that shoot superpowered killer bees out their mouths. Hell, with this setup, you could make the dogs have Banshee's sonic scream to be an additional threat, and to launch the bees out so the dogs don't immediately swallow them again - like a kickbooster for a missile!)

...Mang.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I like the cut of your jib, son. It's like the time Batman injected crystal meth into his cock because he wanted to get the Flash's powers.

The dogs are running at hypersonic speeds, and maybe we can equip them with variable geometry F-14 wings so they can fly, and when they make their sonic barks at hypersonic speeds - making their barks ultrasonic - this kickboosts the bees at, like, ridiculously impossible speeds. Possibly the beehives lodged in their abdomen contains the fuel tank/reservoir of crystal supermeth, possibly it's a mix of super diabetically sugary honey and meth that does it. Or something.

The supervillain with the supermeth could end up shacking up with the warlord, yeah. And after they run out of drug-infested people, they can resort to drug-infested animals. As the superheroes come to the fortress, they find themselves attacked by superpowered drug-animals. Wolves, hyenas, coyotes, rhinos, elephants, hippos, bears, bees, lions, crocodiles, sharks, walruses, sea slugs, whales, enchilada con carnes, yetis, gorillas, chimpanzees, possums, wallabies and all the other worst parts of the Bible.

It'll be glourious.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner

And, to really hammer home the PSA, you could even have street-cut versions of the drugs, that either give not enough power - which the poor shmuck only finds out when they try something super - or too much - as in, yay! You're invulnerable! Pity that extends to your lungs absorbing oxygen, and the effect lasts for a little under half an hour!

Or a would-be superhero, using the last dregs of their last hit of power to snatch some purses/vaults to pay for the next one, so they can stop purse-snatchers and bank robbers.

Or some non-powered heroes doing drugs just to keep up and falling prey to it, while others refuse and keep going the way they always have, which means they're in their right mind and don't accidentally hurt people.

Or soldiers Just Saying No to the drugs, even though not only is Everyone Else Doing It, but An Authority Figure Is Telling Them So.

As for the villain, they could, in desperation, take all the superdrugs they could find, and begin utterly destroying the heroes - until, thirty seconds or so later, the overdose hits and they spend the rest of their life a super-powered vegetable.

For the defences, you could have all the super-powered animals, but also experiments from when the Dastardly Villain was developing the drugs, both human and non-. And the villain could split up the team through some method or another, and trap them in rooms with things with either their own powers or those of teammates. Or other rooms could have aerosol versions of drugs that failed testing, and the heroes have to control the random powers and hallucinations with their SUPER-WILLS. Still other rooms could have deathtraps designed for specific power mixes, through testing people dosed with those combinations, and it's only the heroes' experience with their own powers/teammates that save them.

At the end of the Crisis of Infinite Powers, you could have people with various medical conditions taking prescribed, weaker, non-cut-with-crystal-meth versions of the drugs to alleviate the symptoms, showing kids that Drugs The Doctor Gives You Are Different.

...Okay, obviously I'm tired. I can't come up with anything too creative, all I can do is regurgitated PSAs.

Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

It comes down to luring them to a trap right? (as well as having the billions of lex luthor money)

Assuming it would be The flash (as everyone knows him) what kind of resources would you need to conjure up a decent non BS attempt to cature/kill him? I don't think Batman has anything in his stock that would stop the flash on a one and one encounter (though there possibly may be a comic where he has done it, it wouldn't surprise me...)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It depends on how smart the speedster is.

A really vicious and incredibly powerful speedster would be nigh-impossible to stop because they could just fuck with you indefinitely without ever coming close to the traps you've set for them. They'd race around the world destroying your multinational business empire/huge army/secret robot minions/whatever, and you could set elaborate traps in specific locations but there's no easy way to ensure they wander into the traps.

See Irredeemable for an example of why this is hard to solve. It would be more difficult in there if the Plutonian (a Superman-equivalent) were more consistent about using his super-speed.

If your speedster is not extremely powerful (so he's easier to trap) or not incredibly vicious and smart (so he's easier to lure into the trap in the first place), the scale of effort required drops off.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Barry/Wally/Bart at the height of their power would be impossible to stop even if we ignore their capability to go FTL (nevermind Clark or Kara). That's the reason they somehow never seem to use their powers to their full potential. The animated DTV 'Justice League: New Frontiers' is actually a good example for this-Captain Cold hides half a dozen bombs around Central City to keep the Flash occupied-and it takes the Flash under half a minute to find all of them and ruin Cold's day. DCU level speedsters are just that freaking fast.
About the only way you can challenge people who not only move but think that ludicrously fast is by turning them into complete morons.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

This pretty much kills the whole Jedi versus Flash thing, and shows us how obscene the Flash is.
Spoiler
scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/3399901.html?#cutid1 Is it kosher to link to this?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Solauren wrote:How about doing one of those 'optical illusion tricks', where objects are painted to blend into the background.
Sure, because that plan worked so well for Wile E. Coyote. :lol: