"Once Upon a Time" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: "Once Upon a Time" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

So, we were right.

Neil is Baelfire.

And worse, Henry now knows Emma lied about his father's fate.

The flashbacks were also interesting as it adds new context to Gold's past. The seer's warning, as pointed out, was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Gold's attempts to be there for his son instead ensured the chain of events that would lead to Baelfire being stranded in our world.

And while the Blue Fairy planted the idea of using a curse to find Baelfire in Gold's head last season, now we know some of the specific details came fro, the seer.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Holy shit.
She did it... she fuckin' did it...
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Oh shit, it's on now... :shock:
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, I'm thinking any chance of redeeming Regina is gone now.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, I'm thinking any chance of redeeming Regina is gone now.
Something I've liked about this season -- and it was there last year, but it's played up well here -- is the futility of revenge, of how its an endless cycle with no winners.

In this case, this cycle was set in motion decades ago by Cora and we've seen the long-term effects and pointlessness of it.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, saw the twist about Owen coming. I was kind of expecting a sort of Groundhog Day hijinks with Regina as she wanders into the ever repeating town.

So, the darkening of the heart, we haven't seen this on anyone else's heart, including Cora's. So, are all of these people pure of heart when they were killed or their hearts were taken? Graham, for instance?
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

I don't think they were pure......but I think they were mixed.

Somehow, despite ALL the BS we've seen of Snow in FTL, she remained "pure of heart". But killing Cora, who was going to kill her now "darkened" her heart somehow. Act of plot I'd wager. Not sure though.

Also, Henry? Kid. Seriously, I want to beat your head in with a fucking baseball bat. You and all the rest of the "Good Guys" in this show. None of them are sympathetic, I want to beat their heads in with the closest heavy objects in reach.

At the very least Henry needs to get the crap beat out of him - I don't think they boys ever had any true discipline in his life, and he still calls Regina "Mom" while going back to blondie while he whines she lied to him.

I wonder if the Writers realize how much of a ass Henry really is? He's like Wesley from TNG, only worse.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well...crap, I wasn't expecting that. :shock:

This is going to make the final stretch of Season 2 very interesting.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, the blue fairy was wrong. There was magic in our world after all. Which makes me wonder just how much is really out there.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, it's clear this is an unexpected wrinkle.

If August is right; then Storybrooke is the magical motherload. Its magical worth is far greater than anything here.

Which means, given that the Bue Fariy was wrong, it seems inevitable that it would attract attention from players like Tamara.

Good going, Regina and Gold. Your manipulations may have just sparked a cross-dimensional magical war.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Also, what exactly was the Dragon trying to do with his fancy smoke show? Was he about to do something to her or make a barrier for himself? It just seemed to do nothing but float him in the air and have red smoke emanate from him, leaving him an open target for Tamara to shock him to death with.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:Also, what exactly was the Dragon trying to do with his fancy smoke show? Was he about to do something to her or make a barrier for himself? It just seemed to do nothing but float him in the air and have red smoke emanate from him, leaving him an open target for Tamara to shock him to death with.
Could be a combination of bluffing while summoning a barrier.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

The line about not meeting his true form makes me think The Dragon isn't truly dead, maybe she just killed his flesh puppet or something.

Also, how the fuck do the writers justify a stun gun working against a man made out of wood?
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Series writer Jane Espenson is hinting that Tamara modified the taser.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

JME2 wrote:Series writer Jane Espenson is hinting that Tamara modified the taser pulling shit out of her ass.
Fixed that for you.

God damn, it's a sad indictment of how bad a show's writing truly is when the main antagonist is a heart ripping, mass murdering, kiddy snatching cold hearted bitch and I'm on her side!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, the writing has been sloppy into Season 2 despite some improvements.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

One episode to go and shit's gotten real again.
Spoiler
So who's Gold gonna kill for the loss of Baelfire? Emma? Greg and Tamara?

I've got a feeling all of the above, but especially Emma -- though he may try something worse. I have a feeling he may try to kill Henry, both because of the prophecy and to deprive Emma of her son just as he's now lost his.
I also liked learning that...
Spoiler
...Greg and Tamara aren't acting alone, that they're the vanguard of an even larger conspiracy. The Believers, as I'm dubbing them, have great potential as long-term antagonists depending on what happens in the finale and the start of Season Three.

If they've been active a while and have tried to purge magic on other occasions, it makes you wonder if the Believers have had a hands in stuff like the Salem Witch Trials. That could give them great scope and make them really interesting foes for our plucky heroes.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Well that seemed... underwhelming.

I like what they've done with the shadow, but it feels very contrived to have it been looking for Henry for centuries.
I also have a hard time believing Tamara and Gregg's actions. They religiously believe in ridding this world of magic but then use it to kidnap an innocent kid and jump to Neverland? :?
Children of the Ancients
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, it's not as big a game-changer as last year's finale, but it sets up several possibilities for Season 3.

I thought Gold was going to go into Dark One-mode after learning about Baelfire. Going into a Heroic BSOD was unexpected, but I like the direction they're setting for both him and Regina. I REALLY hope the writers stay this course and don't take the easy way out by making them villains again.

I view Greg and Tamara as willing to utilize their enemies' strengths and weapons against them. I also love the irony that they're out to destroy magic...and yet they're unknowingly taking orders from a magical being.

And given Henry is prophesied to kill the Dark One, that could be part of why Pan's searching for him. That he's got the blood of the Dark One and the Savior running through him probably gives him great magical potential.

Also, it looks like Aurora and Mulan managed to restore Phillip to life since we left them.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Also, I'll be interested to learn how the fuck Tamara and Gregg's "people" take one look at a magic crystal and instantly know exactly what it does and how it's activated.

About Gold... I'm guessing that Henry is the undoing of "The Dark One" but in a way that leaves Rumpelstiltskin alive.
Children of the Ancients
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Jaepheth wrote:About Gold... I'm guessing that Henry is the undoing of "The Dark One" but in a way that leaves Rumpelstiltskin alive.
It'd be a nice prophecy twist and would fit with magic not quite working out the way you planned.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, was the guy in the hood Peter Pan or just one of the Lost Boys?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, was the guy in the hood Peter Pan or just one of the Lost Boys?
My sister was wondering about that, too.

She thinks it was whereas I thought Pan was the Shadow and Mr. Hood was the lead enforcer.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Two episodes in, this season seems better than the last one.

Not sure I like the Wicked witch's green skin; especially with that hair color. Just... bleh.
Children of the Ancients
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Sadly, I've given up on the show.

They're going in circles and I've lost interest since the early part of Season 3.