"Snuff: A Novel of Discworld"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

"Snuff: A Novel of Discworld"

Post by Steve »

Just getting the thread started up for Tuesday. Amazon just e-mailed me fifteen minutes ago to say my pre-order was being filled and shipped and will arrive then.

In the last book, Vimes overpowered the Butcher, er, I mean, the Summoning Dark. :wink: 8) What awesomeness shall we see from Vimes and the Ankh-Morpork City Watch this time around? 8)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Re: "Snuff: A Novel of Discworld"

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

wait Vimes fought the level 2 diablo boss?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:wait Vimes fought the level 2 diablo boss?
Never played Diablo.... :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Unless I'm very much mistaken, that was three books ago anyway . I Shall Wear Midnight, Unseen Academicals and Making Money happened since then.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The other Butcher

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Got my preorder in as well. Should be good, from the snippets seen so far.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Hang on a second, the US is getting it on Tueday? Why on Disc am I having to wait until Thursday? :|

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Hmm, I'll have to see what the Canada release date is. Hope its Tuesday. :)

Though, from the title and what's been leaked about the book in advance, I have a bad feeling Vimes might finally bite it this time around. All I can see is if so, he better have one of the most awesome death scenes ever written.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I hope not. And I meant the last Watch book, Caped Crusader. :P

dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Hmm, I'll have to see what the Canada release date is. Hope its Tuesday. :)

Though, from the title and what's been leaked about the book in advance, I have a bad feeling Vimes might finally bite it this time around. All I can see is if so, he better have one of the most awesome death scenes ever written.
Death will be relieved. He was getting tired of all the near-Vimes experiences he had to go through.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Having to show up in near-Death experiences is a dime dozen for Death. If there's anybody he's really ticked at, it's Rincewind. At least for Vimes he knows when and how the guy's gonna croak. For the Discworld's Least Capable Wizard, he doesn't even know if the guy is going to.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Just relistening to Guards! Guards!, I look forward to Mr. Briggs reading of Snuff.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Saw someone reading the Ebook version on an E-reader earlier today. Anyone know where the Ebook is available? Amazon aren't allowing downloads yet.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'm about three quarters of the way through the book. It is freaking sweet.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

And I finished it. "Snuff" was certainly awesome, and a great addition to the Watch subseries.

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Archaic` wrote:Saw someone reading the Ebook version on an E-reader earlier today. Anyone know where the Ebook is available? Amazon aren't allowing downloads yet.
Just got releases this morning.

(Bah, my kindle's still not back from repairs :( )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Preordered from Amazon...I probably won't be getting it until the 17th at the earliest. Damn.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Aaaargh. I finished it and now I can't talk about it with anyone because nobody else has! :evil:

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I'm about a third of the way into it. Why did it take this long for the US to get the same art on the cover as the UK versions?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Just started on my own copy as well :) Pretty decent so far!

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I'm about an hour into it and it feels... Slow...
Theres no CRIME Yet, so I am itching for when the action starts.

That said What I have heard so far I like
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

On the whole, really good.

Maayyyybe the ending was a little too pat, but there was a lot of entertainment along the way.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

OK I am a bit miffed...

Is it me, or did Pratchett "Delete" buggy Squires the Gnome and merge him with Wee Mad Author??
because Buggy was not mentioned at ALL in the book, but Wee Mad, who we never even HEARD of in the watch, since he was first brought up in Feet of Clay, suddenly has taken over the gnome spots in the watch.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:OK I am a bit miffed...

Is it me, or did Pratchett "Delete" buggy Squires the Gnome and merge him with Wee Mad Author??
because Buggy was not mentioned at ALL in the book, but Wee Mad, who we never even HEARD of in the watch, since he was first brought up in Feet of Clay, suddenly has taken over the gnome spots in the watch.
As I recall, in I Shall Wear Midnight Buggy Squires found out he was a Nac Mac Feegle and decided he'd get back to his roots for a while.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Actually, that was Wee Mad Arthur.