Mistborn and Star Wars

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

keen320
Youngling

Mistborn and Star Wars

Post by keen320 »

Time: Episode 3, just after the rescue and return of Palpatine by Anakin and Obi-Wan

Scenario: Vin from the end of Mistborn: the Well of Ascension is in the Star Wars universe, and has been told who Palpatine is and what, in general, he is planning, and that she should kill him. She is on Coruscant and knows where he is. She has 3 vials of metals and 2 of duralumin. She also has 60 seconds worth of Atium

Obi-Wan has been warned about her trying to kill Palpatine, but doesn’t know what she is. So he will try to stop her on his own (and maybe with help from law enforcement). Also, since he assumes this is routine (it's probably not all that uncommon in a galaxy at war for people to say they want to kill the chancellor), Palpatine's staff and guards have had only a routine warning.

So:
1. Could he find her before she get’s to Palpatine?
2. Could he defeat her if he does?
3. If she gets past him, could Palpatine stop her without revealing his true nature? (Assuming some of the first responders are Jedi, who could be a bit suspicious if she has, say, obvious lightsaber burns, but Obi-Wan never caught her)

Brief Explanation of relevant Allomancy:

Steel
Coinshots have the ability to burn Steel, which allows them to "Push" on nearby metals. This can allow them to make metallic objects that weigh less than they do to fly through the air away from them (using coins, for instance, as weapons). For metallic objects which weigh more than they do, this can cause them to be pushed away from the object.

Iron
Lurchers have the ability to burn Iron, which allows them to Pull on nearby metals. This can allow them to make metallic objects that weigh less than they do to fly through the air toward them. For metallic objects which weigh more than they do, this can cause them to be pulled toward the object.

Tin
Tineyes have the ability to burn Tin, which allows them to enhance all five of their senses. Tineyes are often used as lookouts and scouts because they can see in near-darkness. A major flaw of burning is that if a sudden loud noise or bright light appears it can render a Tineye stunned for a short time.

Pewter
Pewterarms, or Thugs, have the ability to burn Pewter, which allows them to greatly enhance their physical capabilities. While burning pewter, a Thug can fight or perform physical labor longer than any normal person, and is also many times stronger than his or her normal self. This enhanced strength also allows a Thug to shrug off wounds that would kill or incapacitate a normal person. Pewter-burning also provides a Thug with an increased sense of balance and vastly increased speed and dexterity. A Thug performing a "pewter drag" can run for many hours at speeds up to approximately that of a galloping horse. This is extremely draining on the Allomancer's body and will require the Allomancer to burn pewter after completing the pewter drag itself, just to keep the person's body from collapsing in near-death exhaustion.

Zinc
Rioters have the ability to burn Zinc, which allows them to inflame the emotions of those nearby. This can be used to incite riots(hence the name) or to enhance any emotion of the target. A Rioter can affect a single person or all the individuals in a particular area.

Brass
Soothers have the ability to burn Brass, which allows them to soothe or guide emotions in a particular direction. A Soother can affect a single person or all the individuals in a particular area.

Duralumin
An alloy of Aluminum and Copper, reacts with other metals currently burning to create an exceptionally large flare of the metal, consuming the remaining supply.

Atium
This metal allows the Mistborn to see a few seconds into the future, thereby allowing them to anticipate the moves of an opponent. It also enhances the mind to cope with and understand these new insights, effectively turning a Mistborn invincible for a short time. Atium burns very quickly.
Initially, the only known counter to Atium was Atium itself, showing what the attacker will do. However, this in turn changes what defender will do, which changes what the attacker will do, creating a confusing "vortex" of Atium shadows.

Copied from http://mistborn.wikia.com/wiki/Allomancy, but I tried to remove spoilers.

Also, I'm declaring that since Vin hardly seems weak minded, she's immune to Jedi mind tricks, or at least 1 Jedi's mind trick. Otherwise I'm afraid this could turn into a debate about Jedi Mind Tricks and weather she could resist them.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Mistborn and Star Wars

Post by Mr Bean »

Your forgetting that Vin comes from the next thing to a third world shithole, even Windmills might be considered advanced technology in the Mistborn saga because of the deliberate suppression of technology by the power that was. Putting her on Courscant a planet wide city with mile deep falls?

Could she kill Pap? Maybe
Could she even know where to start to find him? Hell no (There's a difference between knowing he's in Building A and being able to get there)
Does she stand a chance of getting within a kilometer of him? Hell no
Things like "security fields" "Security Cams" "Bio-scans" all of these things are alien concepts to her, not to mention not exactly being able to blend in with the locals. She has exactly zero knowledge of high technology.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

True but Courscant is like New York city. Every sort of people and alien across the Galaxy come there. She could easily fit in. She won't be able to make heads or tails out of the high tech that surrounds her but at least she won't stick out amongst the population.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Sarevok wrote:True but Courscant is like New York city. Every sort of people and alien across the Galaxy come there. She could easily fit in. She won't be able to make heads or tails out of the high tech that surrounds her but at least she won't stick out amongst the population.
It's hard to blend in if you don't know how what we consider standard issue technology works. Not having access to any resources minus not being registered to anything she will find it impossible to do the basic thing.

Lets take your New York example, lets say I dump you in an alternative version of New York where you never existed but is otherwise identical, you have no ID cards, no drivers license, no money and nothing but the clothes on your back. How hard would it be for you to do the most basic things?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton