New Captain America trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Captain America trailer

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, and after we saw the movie the consensus seemed to be largely "It worked out just fine".
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Broomstick wrote:Yes, and after we saw the movie the consensus seemed to be largely "It worked out just fine".
Absolutely (and just for the record, I absolutely agree with you.) Nevertheless the very fact the discussion in question happened means that 'nobody blinked an eye' is at least locally inaccurate. :D
Which reminds me-has anybody besides us given a flying fuck over Heimdall being black?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, I've seen some nerdrage over it out on the internet... but it's mostly gone now. Oh, and a racist dickhead I know got pissed, but then, you should hear him go on about the PotUS, it's kinda what we expect from the asshole.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I suppose pointing out that 'Um-you DO know the guy isn't even human, right?' to those people would be moderately pointless.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Nick Fury has already said he knew Howard Stark. That said, he didn't specify when, but having Fury disguise himself as a black guy isn't really all that confusing, as he is already established as the leader of a secret organization.

I would be curious to see who they would get to play white Fury though. The Hoff? :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Simon_Jester wrote:My point is that I doubt they will use the name "Howling Commandos" because it'll sound silly to the movie audience, and I doubt they will use a character named "Nick Fury" because that will create strange questions.
Is that such a bad thing though, to create strange questions? I would actually think that including Nick Fury in Captain America wouldn't so much confuse audiences as make them curious. They'd wonder about it, they'd ask around about it, and others would explain it to them. It would be an intriguing mystery, and that's buzz for The Avengers right there.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Broomstick wrote:Yes, I've seen some nerdrage over it out on the internet... but it's mostly gone now. Oh, and a racist dickhead I know got pissed, but then, you should hear him go on about the PotUS, it's kinda what we expect from the asshole.
To note it was the Council of Conservative Citizens complying about Thor. The story was posted here to the forums and a good laugh was had by all. The Nerd-rage you refer to never existed, in both the original discussion and the other forums frequent the only "rage" was of the White Power variety and a few comparisons to other works of fiction with Hollywood and others have swapped races around for better (Independence Day) or worse (Avatar:TLAB)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

It's already been publicly out for a while that the Howling Commandos are in the movie, and there's at least 1 black and 1 Asian already cast as commandos in the team.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Yes, it does look excellent, and while the list of things I would normally like Chris Evans to do to me is "yes", Chris Evans with an extra thirty kilos of muscle induces the "just take me now" reaction. I dont expect I will be doing much other than drooling in the theater.
I think you need to work on your muscle mass/gain estimation skills. :lol:

At most, since he played Lucas Lee, he's gained 20 or so lbs of muscle mass, roughly 10 kilos. 30 kilos? No, I don't think so.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Mr Bean wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Yes, I've seen some nerdrage over it out on the internet... but it's mostly gone now. Oh, and a racist dickhead I know got pissed, but then, you should hear him go on about the PotUS, it's kinda what we expect from the asshole.
To note it was the Council of Conservative Citizens complying about Thor. The story was posted here to the forums and a good laugh was had by all. The Nerd-rage you refer to never existed, in both the original discussion and the other forums frequent the only "rage" was of the White Power variety and a few comparisons to other works of fiction with Hollywood and others have swapped races around for better (Independence Day) or worse (Avatar:TLAB)
So... you are intimately familiar with every on-line forum I frequent, that you can categorically state that without exception I could not possibly have seen the nerdrage I witnessed? I had no idea you were either 1) tracking my every move and/or 2) psychic.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Broomstick wrote: So... you are intimately familiar with every on-line forum I frequent, that you can categorically state that without exception I could not possibly have seen the nerdrage I witnessed? I had no idea you were either 1) tracking my every move and/or 2) psychic.
I will claim that 2 is the correct choice. If you confront me I will weasel out with special pleadings about my amazing psychic powers not working when Skeptics are harshing me with negative vibes or I saw a past that could have been. Later when you write a respond demanding proof of my Psychic powers I will respond with demands that you prove I'm not Psychic.

Que a spot on the Montel Williams show, and soon I'll be rolling in cash donates from my loyal believes all the while saying in small print I'm only providing a "entertainment service" in order to shield me from people legally going after me when my PSYCHIC STOCK TIPS!(tm) don't pan out and costs them thousands on thousands of dollars.

So yes Broomstick I know for a fact (Psychic!) that there was no real nerd rage anywhere in the entire world, it was all 100% White Supremacists Rage, and those claiming to be Nerds who are enraged are in fact secret White Supremacists!

All this I know again via my amazing Psychic powers.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

*eyes Mr Bean* You are so full of it. :lol:

OT: I was already wondering if SHIELD was for Cap's shield, possibly after his "death" at the hands of the Red Skull. In the comic, Cap and Bucky were attempting to disarm a Nazi "Long-ranged bomber" aimed at the US. At the time, it was drawn as a special prop-engine. But that was before the "Nazi Flying Wing" plans were released, and decades before our own long-range Flying Wing Bomber was revealed to the public.

So, I'm going out on a limb here and predicting the Flying Wing is going to be aimed at the US, and that Cap and Bucky(?) will be on the plane trying to stop it. When it goes down, Cap will wind up in suspended animation.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I will claim that 2 is the correct choice. If you confront me I will weasel out with special pleadings about my amazing psychic powers not working when Skeptics are harshing me with negative vibes or I saw a past that could have been. Later when you write a respond demanding proof of my Psychic powers I will respond with demands that you prove I'm not Psychic.

Que a spot on the Montel Williams show, and soon I'll be rolling in cash donates from my loyal believes all the while saying in small print I'm only providing a "entertainment service" in order to shield me from people legally going after me when my PSYCHIC STOCK TIPS!(tm) don't pan out and costs them thousands on thousands of dollars.

So yes Broomstick I know for a fact (Psychic!) that there was no real nerd rage anywhere in the entire world, it was all 100% White Supremacists Rage, and those claiming to be Nerds who are enraged are in fact secret White Supremacists!

All this I know again via my amazing Psychic powers.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So tell us, O Great Swami, how is the flick going to make out at the box office? Will Weaving do alright as the Skull (not much of him in the trailer, and that's my biggest worry about this movie, it will be hard to do the villain right.) and will they cut that godawful line from the first trailer about how "only a weak man knows the value of strength?"
So, I'm going out on a limb here and predicting the Flying Wing is going to be aimed at the US, and that Cap and Bucky(?) will be on the plane trying to stop it. When it goes down, Cap will wind up in suspended animation.
I'm thinking yes for the bomber, no for Bucky. Killing the kid sidekick would really be a downer ending, no matter what you did with the last few minutes of the movie, and it's really not all that essential to the character and motivations. Yes, he lost his young friend, but he'd have lost him just as much if they thaw him from the ice and Bucky is eighty now.

Also, it would create too many problems to explain why a kid is involved in a top-secret project and why the (alledgedly responsible) adults are letting him run around in a warzone in tights. Way more problems than having a white Nick Fury would.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ahriman238 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So tell us, O Great Swami, how is the flick going to make out at the box office? Will Weaving do alright as the Skull (not much of him in the trailer, and that's my biggest worry about this movie, it will be hard to do the villain right.) and will they cut that godawful line from the first trailer about how "only a weak man knows the value of strength?"
The spirits have spoken! This movie shall make the Superman movie look like chump change! It shall break at least two (non-specific) records! Also the Spirits are telling me to tell you to buy Iridium!

As for that line I'm guessing that is cut from the scene it's in and will be in the scene where the Scientist explains to the government guys why they should experiment on the 90 pound asthmatic first.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The doctor wants to try Steve Rogers first for simple reasons. He KNOWS that his procedure is going to work, and that whoever they give the treatment to is going to become an amazing physical specimen (as the ladies in this thread will attest to). He's going for intangible 'character', and I think its a good line. At his heart, Steve Rogers was a hero BEFORE he became Captain America.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

What do you mean? In a previous trailer Erskine said that they tried five times in five different cities before they got to Rogers.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

neoolong wrote:What do you mean? In a previous trailer Erskine said that they tried five times in five different cities before they got to Rogers.
No, I'm pretty sure that was Rogers trying to sign up for the military five times in five different cities.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Hmm, I suppose.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

The doctor wants to try Steve Rogers first for simple reasons. He KNOWS that his procedure is going to work, and that whoever they give the treatment to is going to become an amazing physical specimen (as the ladies in this thread will attest to). He's going for intangible 'character', and I think its a good line. At his heart, Steve Rogers was a hero BEFORE he became Captain America.
I agree. But I also think his character is something completly independant of his physical abilities. He was a hero at heart as a nintety-pound shrimp, He's a hero as a
"perfect athlete," he would have been just as much a hero if Erskine's formula had made him Superman. It's because he is the sort of person who bends whateve power he has to helping others, not because there is any nobility in his physical shortcomings.

Which, by the way, the grenade scene shows perfectly. Where other men try to leap away and survive, Steve's reflex is to save his comrades even at the expense of his own life.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Spoiler
Not sure how canon this is, but in the Ultimate Avengers story where they brought out the Ultimates version of Red Skull, we find out that Nick Fury actually was alive during WWII. Turns out he was one of the first subjects of the Super-Soldier formula, a test run to make sure it'd work for Steve Rogers.
I did note a black guy in the conference-table scene; didn't look like SLJ, though I only saw him for a second. The Howling Commandos are definitely involved here though if Dum Dum Dugan's bowler hat is any indication. I don't see it being improbable that they have just the Howling Commandos backing up Cap, without Nick Fury leading them (maybe an offhanded "Good job, Private Fury" to the black guy?).

Regarding SHIELD, if they're involved in this it'll probably be something along the lines of "the President is starting a new department and we want you to be part of it...", and at the end of the movie, they're thawing out Cap and Nick's standing there by him with Tony watching.

All in all, I like this, and I hope it'll turn out well... looks like it's going to be a great movie.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Broomstick wrote:Possible resolutions to the Nick Fury "problem":

- As noted, make the WWII "Howling Commandos" (whether called that or not) black (yes ALL military units were segregated back then, that didn't change until the Korean War and the 1950's. Nonetheless, some black units, such as the Tuskegee Airmen, were well regarded).
The logical role of the Commandos is as the guys backing Cap, and all the ones we've seen so far were white. In particular, we've got the white guy with the bowler hat and the machine gun/shotgun/whatever, who other people assure me is the guy who was second in command of the Commandos... and he's white. So I don't think they're doing that.

One possibility you didn't mention: "Nick Fury" could be a code name. When you get right down to it that's actually pretty likely- he's the head of a secret agency that fights supervillains and huge terrorist organizations. It'd put him at a disadvantage if his identity were well known.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

K, did some more watching and pausing.

There are two separate black guys, one Asian guy and I'm guessing by the beret, a french guy. With Dugan rounding it out as the Irish guy IIRC, I'm guessing they are going the international
commando squad route.

I'm also pretty sure that I see Nick Fury, or at least a guy with the Fury features, minus the patch. He is on Cap's right when they kick the door in shooting, and again on his left when they are walking very determinedly in slow motion together.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Derek Luke is playing Gabe Jones in the movie.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Who the hell is Gabe Jones?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh that is the black dude's name in the Howling Commandos isn't it.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)