Just saw Thor (Some Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Shannon
Padawan Learner

Just saw Thor (Some Spoilers)

Post by Shannon »

I actually expected someone else to get in first, given that Thor opened in Oz on 21 April (I'm in NZ). Anyway, I saw it tonight and thought that overall it was very good.

Spoliers below, but one thing you must do is hang around for the obligatory extra scene following the credits, because
Spoiler
it features Nick Fury (of course), Stellan Skarsgard's character presumably possessed by Loki (who you always knew was going to be the big bad for The Avengers) and what looked and sounded to me like a Cosmic Cube!!

Anyway, more specific first reactions:

The Asgard scenes had, I think, the right amount of Majesty. Anthony Hopkins is awesome as Odin, Rene Russo gets to kill a Frost Giant as Frigga, the Warriors Three and Sif are as they should be (with just a hint of Sif's pining after Thor) and Heimdall is just awesome. In fact, the heroes could never have triumphed without Heimdall; he was key. I would've liked to see Balder too, but there didn't really seem to be any place for him.

One thing that got me about the Warriors Three and Sif, though, was that while they looked perfectly at home in Asgard and Jotunheim, they looked like the Masters of the Universe on Earth.

Chris Hemsworth made Thor his own. I liked Stellan Skarsgard's character the most out of the humans, apart from Agent Coulson (Son of Coul!), who just has the best job ever, and isn't stupid. Nice cameo by Hawkeye too. If I have one gripe about the acting, it was re Natalie Portman. She just didn't look comfortable in the role, to me. It was a nice twist having Jane Foster as an astrophysicist studying what turned out to be Bifrost (with an ex named Donald Blake), but it felt to me like she just phoned it in. Even the minor female assistant character had more actual 'character'; it was priceless when she tasered the depowered Thor.

Interesting to see that J.M. Straczynski was one of the writers; the writing seemed to mesh well with Kenneth Branagh's direction, which I thought played very well in the neo-Shakespearean semi-tragedy of the Asgard scenes, of which there were plenty. Some of it was pretty unsubtle, like the irony of Loki's actions and lies leading to Thor's gaining humility, but it worked in context.

The back story with Loki was nicely handled in the time available. He was the tragic character, his jealousy and outrage leading to eventual evil, but all understandable. Also, I got the feeling that Loki, wielding what I'm assuming was Gungnir (Odin's spear) was really the only match for Thor with Mjolnir, who really seemed an order of magnitude more powerful than anyone except Odin. He completely mowed down the Frost Giants. Even the Destroyer, who literally incinerated Frost Giants with a glance, literally took everything the Warriors Three and Sif could throw at it, but didn't last long against a fully powered Thor.

Overall, it's not a complex movie, but it is a well-told story. You know the good guys will win, but there are a few nice moments that keep you guessing how it'll happen. The use of Bifrost as an actual weapon was novel.

Finally, I'd love to see what the rest of the weapons (besides the Casket of Ancient Winters) were in Odin's vault.
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age".
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
Lokwar
Redshirt

Re: Just saw Thor (Some Spoilers)

Post by Lokwar »

How would you rate it in compairison to either Iron Man? I know Stan Lee was compairing it to Iron Man in earlier interviews so I am curious since I loved both Iron Mans.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

What I really want to know is thls:
Spoiler
Is there any particular reason the Asgardians themselves could not rebuild the bifrost?
Other than that, yes this was the funniest Marvel movie since Iron Man, I daresay it's more rewatchable than them.
Spoiler
The scene where the warriors three and sif walk into town is particularly hilarious. Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood indeed....
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Two things about your comments jump out to me:

- I actually think it wasn't a matter of Portman being uncomfortable in her role, but more of Jane Foster being kind of an awkward person to begin with, especially with her dorky crush on Thor. She was just playing her part there.

- I was very impressed by how subtle Loki's manipulations were. I mean... Spoiler
At no point in the beginning of the film did Loki come across as overtly villainous. He used very fine reverse psychology to get Thor to go to Jotunheim; you could only see what he was doing if you were expecting him to be evil based on the comics or his reputation from mythology. And even when he outed himself as a bad guy, he still managed to surprise the viewer with his real motives. It was very appropriate for a trickster.
On my part, I thought the film was great. I was very pleased with it and I hope it makes a lot of money. However, I do think the script was a little sloppy at times. Spoiler
I think it was a mistake to hinge the climax on the safety of not Earth or Asgard, but Jotunheim. I mean, genocide is bad at all, but I didn't really see any reason to particularly care about the Frost Giants. It would have been really easy to include a line about all the Nine Realms having to be in an equilibrium or something. And for that matter, I don't really see why Thor particularly cared either. His character development was somewhat rushed, and this concern for the Frost Giants seemed a bit inexplicable.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I saw it last week, and I thoroughly enjoyed it - superior to IM2, by a country mile. It has an interesting FotR direction initially and it works well for this, remarkably.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

How would you rate it in compairison to either Iron Man? I know Stan Lee was compairing it to Iron Man in earlier interviews so I am curious since I loved both Iron Mans.
I haven't seen Stan Lee's interviews so I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

What I will say is this: It's a different kind of movie. They're both fun, but in different ways.

Iron Man is about redemption while still partying hard with cool toys. Stark discovers his conscience and decides to do something about the trouble he's at least partly reponsible for. It has a wow factor, but more along the lines of 'wow, imagine if I had toys like that'. Stark is a flawed man; he's constantly battling his weaknesses. Arguably, if he didn't have so many external challenges, he'd completely self-destruct. The movies play this very well.

Thor is cosmic fun. Asgard engenders a sense of wonder on top of the wow factor of Iron Man. Thor is flawed too, and also learns his lesson the hard way, but it remains to be seen if the qualities that got him in trouble in the first place will resurface as they do with Stark, since his immediate sequel is in The Avengers, not Thor 2. I don't mean that to sound like I think Thor is a one-note hero because I think there is more there to be explored, and it'll be interesting to see how they do it. I get the feeling that Thor's hubris (that comes at least partially from his sheer power) will come back to bite him in The Avengers if he meets something bigger than him. It could be interesting (without giving anything away) if what we see in the post-credits scene of Thor results in this. When Stark screws up, it might have national/maybe international consequences; when Thor screws up, it has at least interplanetary consequences.

They are both about heroes' journeys', but they are very different kinds of heroes, so a direct 'rating' comparison is difficult.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

What I really want to know is thls:

I'd say:
Spoiler
I don't see why they couldn't, though I imagine it might take considerable effort on Odin's part, given how hard Thor had to work to break it. Given what was explicitly said about magic = science in Asgard, perhaps you'd have teams of craftsmen creating a structure to be empowered by Odin? Thor has to get back to earth somehow - perhaps by Odin further empowering Mjolnir? Unless Loki uses the Cube to get him there . . .
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

Two things about your comments jump out to me:

- I actually think it wasn't a matter of Portman being uncomfortable in her role, but more of Jane Foster being kind of an awkward person to begin with, especially with her dorky crush on Thor. She was just playing her part there.
Yeah, maybe. She certainly looked uncomfortable enough.
- I was very impressed by how subtle Loki's manipulations were. I mean...
Oh hell yes. I actually found myself wishing I wasn't so familiar with the character because then it would've actually been more enjoyable to have the subtlety of his manipulations revealed as they were. His tricks to begin with were malicious mischief; later they turned into full-blown evil, at least some of which seemed to be Spoiler
based on hatred of his origins and a desire to destroy them in order to be accepted and revered.
On my part, I thought the film was great. I was very pleased with it and I hope it makes a lot of money. However, I do think the script was a little sloppy at times.
Yeah. Spoiler
When I saw Loki switch the Bifrost to full power (knowing as we did what would happen cos they'd told us earlier :D ) and the 'ice sculpture' tree shape formed in the centre of the sphere, I thought it represented Yggdrasil and I expected to hear Thor says something along the lines of "You'll wreck the whole of the Nine Worlds by destroying Jotunheim!" Perhaps they felt that wasn't quite noble enough and they had to have Thor show compassion for his enemies? Loki was certainly surprised at Thor's attitude.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

So...was I the only one who thought that using the Death Star set to 'flashlight' as a mode of interstellar transport was...dubious? I dunno, the whole Bifrost = Death Star thing felt forced to me. And for pity's sake, people, it's a spoiler thread, you don't need to run around spoiler-tagging everything. :lol:

Overall, though, I concur, that was just plain, good fun. I do have to disagree about Loki's manipulations being subtle, though. The sequence went 'Loki does something the camera focuses on, something bad happens in short order' over and over again. It would have been nice to see more of the Loki-as-prankster first, so that Loki causing mischief would fall into the background and mask his true manipulations.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Some people read these threads to read reviews and find out if the movie is worth seeing, so there actually is a good reason to keep spoilers in spoiler tags.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

White Haven wrote:Overall, though, I concur, that was just plain, good fun. I do have to disagree about Loki's manipulations being subtle, though. The sequence went 'Loki does something the camera focuses on, something bad happens in short order' over and over again. It would have been nice to see more of the Loki-as-prankster first, so that Loki causing mischief would fall into the background and mask his true manipulations.
Loki commented on his inviting the Frost Giants in as a prank for Thor's crowning day (Loki invited in the Frost Giants that tried to steal the blue chest from Asgard). Something to completely divert attention away from Thor. Of course, his humor involved the guards getting killed in the process, so Loki's mischief is dangerous.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Just saw and... :shock:

That was beautiful. I could seriously believe I was seeing Thor. The writing was good, the costumes, visual effects, sets, music it all worked magnificently.

I remember there being some stink about getting a black guy to play Heimdall, but he nailed it. Ditto for the asian who was Hogun. I had zero difficulty believing they were the characters they played.

I wasn't doing a ton of analysis, but when the Jotuns entered the hall with the Cask of Ancient Winters, i swear I saw the Eye of Agamotto among the relics. It was the only one I was definitly able to identify, but I only had a moment.

The Destroyer went down awful easy, compared to the comics version. I agree with the decision to have Thor end it once his powers were restored, it had fulfilled it's role in the story and it only would have dragged down the film to have Thor hare off in search of the Destroyer's typical weakness. Still... The Destroyer is the Asgardian's ultimate weapon, meant to take down foes who can shrug off the combined might and sorceries of every Asgardian, and here Thor lifts it in the air and one-shots it.

Umm, Mjolnir can open portals between Asgard and Earth. Any other realm too. It's the usual backup plan whenever the Bifrost is destroyed in the comics. To say nothing of Odin, Loki and Amora all having the power to teleport between realms with as many passengers as they please. It does make the 'forced seperation' ending feel a touch contrived.
Is there any particular reason the Asgardians themselves could not rebuild the bifrost?
Don't worry about the Bifrost. Ever since the Thor comics started they've broken the rainbow bridge, on average, roughly once every three or four years. It never sticks.
I think it was a mistake to hinge the climax on the safety of not Earth or Asgard, but Jotunheim. I mean, genocide is bad at all, but I didn't really see any reason to particularly care about the Frost Giants. It would have been really easy to include a line about all the Nine Realms having to be in an equilibrium or something. And for that matter, I don't really see why Thor particularly cared either. His character development was somewhat rushed, and this concern for the Frost Giants seemed a bit inexplicable.
The whole point was Thor coming to respect the value of life, all life. The Jotuns may come across as monsters, and they'd gladly conquer the universe if given the chance, but they're people too, and many of them are innocent of any wrong-doing. I think it did a lot for the story to have the difference between Thor, who sees the Jotuns as People and Loki, who sees them only as monsters despite being one, and can't understand why his brother suddenly cares.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

Umm, Mjolnir can open portals between Asgard and Earth. Any other realm too. It's the usual backup plan whenever the Bifrost is destroyed in the comics. To say nothing of Odin, Loki and Amora all having the power to teleport between realms with as many passengers as they please. It does make the 'forced seperation' ending feel a touch contrived.
Apparently not, at least not yet, in-universe. Yes, I'm well aware that Mjolnir is usually believed to have this ability, hence my earlier remark about Odin further empowering Mjolnir in later instalments of the franchise. IIRC, Mjolnir 'always had' the worthiness caveat on it too (Whosoever holds this hammer, etc), but we clearly see Odin adding it to Mjolnir after banishing Thor.

If Mjolnir could do it, why would Thor & co have needed the Bifrost to get home? That was the whole point of them standing there saying, "Heimdall, open the Bifrost" while Heimdall is struggling with being a popsicle. It's not like Thor was portrayed as an idiot either. And we don't see Odin smacking Thor upside the head, saying "Idiot, Mjolnir could've brought you home."

While it may seem contrived, I suggest that it only seems that way because (like many of us) you're familiar with the usual capabilities of the characters. This movie seemed as much pitched at those new to the franchise as anything else, hence the slow reveal of Loki's true motive/actions. It's kind of a "Thor:Year One."
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

The Destroyer went down awful easy, compared to the comics version. I agree with the decision to have Thor end it once his powers were restored, it had fulfilled it's role in the story and it only would have dragged down the film to have Thor hare off in search of the Destroyer's typical weakness. Still... The Destroyer is the Asgardian's ultimate weapon, meant to take down foes who can shrug off the combined might and sorceries of every Asgardian, and here Thor lifts it in the air and one-shots it.
I think you're right re. it being for story reasons. I expected the Destroyer to be much tougher too; in fact, I expected Loki to be using it to protect himself. But to be fair, it did stand up to everything else, and Thor didn't "one-shot" it - IIRC he hit it several times after Sif drove her spear right through it and seemed to seriously damage it, albeit briefly. And again, we are referring to the Destroyer as we know it in the comics; that's almost like saying that Iron Man's armour should be able to do xyz in the movies because it can in the comics. But in the movies, he's still developing his armour. This is an earlier point of progression in the overall story.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Still, it didn't sound like they could actually rebuild it. "There's always hope" etccomes of as more "it's gone, but we'll find another way", not "we'll need to persuade the treasury to release the funding for bifrost 2.0". Is it like a lost tech or something, and asgard,where "science and magic are one and the same" in a state of decline?

Then again Thor seemed to have a fair grasp of the pseudoscience behind the bifrost, so...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Ahriman238 wrote:The whole point was Thor coming to respect the value of life, all life. The Jotuns may come across as monsters, and they'd gladly conquer the universe if given the chance, but they're people too, and many of them are innocent of any wrong-doing. I think it did a lot for the story to have the difference between Thor, who sees the Jotuns as People and Loki, who sees them only as monsters despite being one, and can't understand why his brother suddenly cares.
I didn't really see it like that. I mean, even though he was a pompous, combative jerk to begin with, I never didn't think he was a noble guy underneath it all. I'm sure he would have sacrificed himself for innocent people if the situation called for it even before he was humbled by not being able to pick up Mjolnir. Nothing in his experiences on Earth over those few days seemed to deal with learning to respect life.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I enjoyed it a lot and am really looking forward to the next lot.
My biggest question is from the beginning may have a bearing on the future. How the hell did Odin fit his army into that tiny dome?

As for the cube at the end, my knowledge of the comics is limited but when I saw my thoughts were of the alien power sources from the Ultimate Avenger Cartoons.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Ahriman238 wrote:Umm, Mjolnir can open portals between Asgard and Earth. Any other realm too. It's the usual backup plan whenever the Bifrost is destroyed in the comics. To say nothing of Odin, Loki and Amora all having the power to teleport between realms with as many passengers as they please. It does make the 'forced seperation' ending feel a touch contrived.
I'd expect Thor to make that a modification to Mjolnir after this movie. He knows that he made a promise to people on Eart to return, and without the Bifrost he can't. So he takes another powerful artifact (Mjolnir) and adds a feature. He then pops back later, with a comment or two about him being Asgard's taxi for a while. Add a few CGI effects of the Rainbow bridge being repaired so people know that Asgard isn't a dying realm, merely calm and centered.

He did make nice with SHIELD rather quickly after the Destroyer was taken down.

I did wonder about the logic of riding horses across the Rainbow Bridge to Heimdall's station. It looked like a giant waste of time (though pretty). You get on a horse, ride across the bridge, then get off at the Bifrost.
AniThyng wrote:Still, it didn't sound like they could actually rebuild it. "There's always hope" etc comes of as more "it's gone, but we'll find another way", not "we'll need to persuade the treasury to release the funding for bifrost 2.0". Is it like a lost tech or something, and asgard,where "science and magic are one and the same" in a state of decline?

Then again Thor seemed to have a fair grasp of the pseudoscience behind the bifrost, so...
What would have been nice in the end is Thor in the feasting hall getting ready to throw one of the mugs on the floor, then pausing. He then looks at the mug, and wonders who gave their time to make it, and what they dream of for their children. Something that he actually learned from his time on Earth.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Lost Soal wrote:I enjoyed it a lot and am really looking forward to the next lot.
My biggest question is from the beginning may have a bearing on the future. How the hell did Odin fit his army into that tiny dome?
I imagine that Odin just opened up a more powerful portal that lasted for a while and they all just rode or ran through after lining up on the Bifrost.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

So, was this movie successfully able to fit the god of thunder into context of The Avengers universe? Um, yeah … for the most part. Instead of trying to explain how these two worlds can exist together, they kind just put two worlds together and you have no choice but to accept it. One minute you’re watching a few scenes on earth, and then you’re watching a few scenes on Asgard. “Deal with it” seems to be their take on it.

So yeah, Thor is a pretty solid picture and a nice way to start the summer off. It’s been a while since the first movie to start the summer didn’t suck.

In the beginning you have super cocky Thor about to be crowned king winking at the ladies and twirling his hammer up in the air. The ceremony ends up being interrupted by The Frost Giants (yes, my reaction was also ‘eh’ the first time they were mentioned) who attempted to steal from them and Thor takes it really personally and goes to their world to break some ice against his father’s wishes. The father gets pissed and sends him to earth stripping him of his power and then the story goes on from there.

Chris Hemsworth is great as Thor. And the movie also benefits from a great supporting cast. I loved all of Darcy’s (Kat Dennings ) wisecracks. I was wondering what the giant stink about Idris Elba being cast as Heimdall, considering for the first half of the movie he simply let’s people go through a gate (his presence was felt, but I just wanted to know where they were going with this), but in the second half the role actually got interesting, and needless to say he was awesome. Most impressive was Tom Hiddleston’s take on Loki. And of course we still love Clark Cregg as Agent Coulson. Everyone was great, but those were the standouts. Though I have to admit Thor’s friends felt like cardboard cutouts from a MMORPG, it worked for great comic relief in the second half once they arrived on earth (they’re hilariously described as Xena, Jackie Chan, and Robin Hood), but before then, I couldn’t take them seriously.

The action was pretty solid, but my gripe is that there aren’t really any “oh my god” moments during the fights. Even if they are between gods, they still feel a bit standard. My favorite moment was simple slow motion drop kick that came from a powerless Thor, and that was in the trailer. And maybe I’m just nitpicking, but that spinny hammer thing he did felt so cartoony.

Another issue is that while they did a great job fitting Thor into the Marvel universe they’re establishing for The Avengers, I can’t really picture him fighting side-by-side Iron Man, Hulk, and Captain America.

I’ll also point out that SHEILD has a strong presence in the middle of the movie, but it is a sideplot that is actually relevant to the main plot. So it definitely holds that over Iron Man 2 and works well for the movie.

I’ll admit that I had some trouble keeping up with the names of things in the movie. The Bifrost, whatever the hammer was called, and where it was that Frost Giants lived. At one point the Bifrost was mentioned and I thought to myself “so that’s where the Frost Giants live?”. I’ll be sure to keep a notepad handy next time I watch this movie. The reason I’m pointing this out as a flaw is because it made it hard for me to keep track of the villain’s intentions since he was the type to say one thing and do another.

Despite a few mild hiccups, Thor is one of the better Marvel picture and definitely one of the funniest (I guess there’s still some life in the fish out of water comedy genre). A note for the screenwriter though, avoid using phrases like “This is madness” and “Unlimited power”, it just comes off as silly considering they’re pretty famous in those other two movies. It’s definitely worth checking out though. Be on the lookout for Stan Lee’s ‘blink or you’ll miss it’ cameo, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye (he’ll be the one holding a cross bow), and you should already know to stay after the credits.

On another note, I didn’t bother seeing it in 3D so I can’t say if it worked well or not.

3/4
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Just saw the movie. I thought it was good, but it didn't blow me away. Then again I probably went in with very high expectations, and would probably enjoy the movie more on a second viewing.
Spoiler
What was good:
1. The casting, acting, and characterization was spot on. Everybody played their roles very well. The way they handled Thor in the beginning was great; it really balanced his flaws with the noble and heroic features that a superhero needs. Anthony Hopkins played a very good Odin, who really seemed like a wise king who is totally devoted to his responsibilities.

2. Sif and The Warriors Three were fun supporting characters. It was great seeing them kick butt, and stand up for Thor.

3. The visuals were beautiful. Asgard looked majestic.

4.The humor was very well done. Kat Dennings was great as comedy relief.

5. The first battle was just awesome. Really liked how everyone got to shine, and show off their powers.

6. This movie did a great job of handling its fantastical elements. Nothing came across as campy or cheesy at all.

What wasn't that good:
1. The romance was pretty shallow, IMO. Romance has been forced into quite a few superhero movies, but usually we at least see the hero pining for a girl for a long time or connecting with her for some reason. In this movie, Jane just seemed to be smitten with Thor because he was studly and hawt.

2. Some of the action scenes could've been better. I was all ready to see Thor and The Destroyer throw it down, once he got his hammer back. But then he just lifted it into the air and killed it with one shot?

3. I didn't think the location was very interesting. The Iron Man movies had glamorous locations or the dangers of Afghanistan. Hulk had a wonderful chase through a densely built Brazilian city, as well as a big fight in New York City. Thor had...a sleepy, barely populated New Mexico town? The setting wasn't big enough for the hero and the story, IMO.
edit: format
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Saw Thor today, of Iron Man and Hulk it was the funniest of the three movies leading into Avengers as by my count the theater had nine separate laugh off ass off lines Spoiler
The second time she runs over Thor, both of the You can not stop the Might Thor(Taser/Knockout Juice), Get me one of those I can ride, The whole scene after the bar scene where what's his name and Thor go drinking. Xena/Jacky Chan and Robin Hood indeed, Plus Hamdall's two of Hamdall's scene's one I forget the second is where he's berating the four companions about Treason and the like and then says good when they admit their goal plus one more I'm forgetting
So Spoil me, who's left for the Avengers Initiative since I never really followed comic book plots we've seen Hulk's movie, we've seen two Iron Man movies now Thor and soon we will be seeing Captain America's movie, who's left of the big Avengers (Since I know they have had like 1000 members during their run) if I'm guessing right it's Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor with possible add on Hawkeye?
Spoiler
And someone explain to me the after credits thing which aside from the fact that Loki was talking to the head of Shield by posing some human I totally did not get

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Mr Bean wrote: So Spoil me, who's left for the Avengers Initiative since I never really followed comic book plots we've seen Hulk's movie, we've seen two Iron Man movies now Thor and soon we will be seeing Captain America's movie, who's left of the big Avengers (Since I know they have had like 1000 members during their run) if I'm guessing right it's Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor with possible add on Hawkeye?
And the Black Widow, isn't it?
Mr Bean wrote:Spoiler
And someone explain to me the after credits thing which aside from the fact that Loki was talking to the head of Shield by posing some human I totally did not get
Spoiler
Wasn't that the researcher from earlier in the movie, the one working with Foster?
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

The after credits scene:
Spoiler
It's Erik Selvig, the same guy who was with Jane Foster the whole movie. Earlier in the film, he mentioned working with a scientist involved in "gamma radiation" (I'm guess it's a Bruce Banner reference), and he seemed to be clued in to what SHIELD was. At the end of the movie, Nick Fury invites him into SHIELD to work on some artifact that could potentially release "unlimited power." Selvig accepts the offer, however he did it under Loki's possession which implies lots of bad things that will probably come up in the Avengers movie. I was confused about whether that artifact was the Frost Giants' casket. I've also heard that it's the Cosmic Cube, which will appear in Captain America.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Mr Bean wrote:So Spoil me, who's left for the Avengers Initiative since I never really followed comic book plots we've seen Hulk's movie, we've seen two Iron Man movies now Thor and soon we will be seeing Captain America's movie, who's left of the big Avengers (Since I know they have had like 1000 members during their run) if I'm guessing right it's Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor with possible add on Hawkeye?
The main cast for the Avengers movie was announced at the last Comic Con. It's going to be:

Iron Man
Hulk
Thor
Captain America
Black Widow
Hawkeye (already appeared in Thor, he's the guy providing oversight with the bow while Thor was breaking into the SHIELD camp)

Well-known Avengers that will not be appearing are Ant-Man/Giant Man/Hank Pym and Wasp (who have their own movie planned, even though I think it's stuck in developmental hell with the two of them not even being the main characters of the script they have right now), and Scarlet Witch (who's connected to the X-Men franchise, the rights to which are still owned by FOX).