My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Re: My Little Pony

Post by evilsoup »

I just found it through EqD... to get it working you have to get a 'clean' link to the page, ie without all that &playerembedded stuff - so click through to the video on youtube and copy-paste the URL there.

By my 'work' I assume you mean friendship is heresy... the next chapter is partly-written. Probably be up some time next week (no promises though). I may just have to incorporate time travel :P

So. I just watched this episode. Hell confirmed as canon, and Celestia rules over it (since she sent out a 'missing dog' flyer for Cerberus, which I think implies she's the owner..). Also 'happy tuesday, nice hair' - more evidence for trollestia? (Yes.)

I was expecting (more hoping really) that spike would start belching up fire from his stomach ache, and that's what twilight would go back in time to warn herself about. But what they did works fine too. It's still nice to see continuity references (starswirl the bearded, pinkie sense).

Good episode overall.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

"Epic pony war in the future"-further proof!
Damn interesting episode
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Is it just me or are some of the characters voices different? specifically Pinkies and Celestia.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I loved the Guard and Celestia being totally nonchalant about Twilight being the library. Like when Twilight was assuming Celestia would be harsh with fluttershy over the pet incident, she has this habit of assuming doom and gloom when she really should know better.

Also those night guards were all wearing Luna's Guard Armour which was a nice touch.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

lordofchange13 wrote:Is it just me or are some of the characters voices different? specifically Pinkies and Celestia.
RD's voice in the scene where Twilight decided she needs to not move a muscle to prevent something from happening.
Also those night guards were all wearing Luna's Guard Armour which was a nice touch.
Nightshift. :P
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Zixinus wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:Is it just me or are some of the characters voices different? specifically Pinkies and Celestia.
RD's voice in the scene where Twilight decided she needs to not move a muscle to prevent something from happening.
Why did they change hers and others voices?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

as an ad for Legend of Korra, Celestia defeats Azula jk

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

I find it interesting that Equestria has Cerberus guarding a bunch of ancient imprisoned evils and he can wander away from his post. Twilight even treated it so casually like ancient world-destroying evils were no big deal and she could prevent the pony apocalypse by just leading a dog back to his place with a rubber ball.

Its funny because the whole episode had her worried about a fake disaster caused by a stable time loop, but during the loop she was on guard enough to solve a genuine disaster like it was nothing.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Rossum wrote:I find it interesting that Equestria has Cerberus guarding a bunch of ancient imprisoned evils and he can wander away from his post. Twilight even treated it so casually like ancient world-destroying evils were no big deal and she could prevent the pony apocalypse by just leading a dog back to his place with a rubber ball.
I figured that was an indication that there were other safeguards in place. The situation with Cerberus was like a prison guard leaving to go on a break - just because they're gone doesn't mean the prisoners can get out of their cell.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

TWILIGHT: ...But if he's here, then all the ancient evil creatures can escape and destroy Equestria!

SPIKE: Destroy Equestria?!?

TWILIGHT: Yeah!! Isn't it great?

SOLD
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

*Support your Local Cerberus*

Braeburn runs up to Sheriff Silverstar.

Braeburn: Sheriff, come quick! That new cavern to Tarterus hasn't been finished yet and the three-headed guard dog has gone missing!

Silverstar: Aw shoot, send a message to the Princess and I'll see what I can do.

One dragon message later and the two ponies head to the gates of Tarterus only to find that Cerberus is missing and there aren't even any bars to the gate!

Braeburn: See, we don't even have bars for the gate. Regulations say they gotta be adamantium bars etched with sacred runes and electroplated with cold iron. Won't even be finished for a week an ol' Smithy won't even be able to have regular iron bars made for three days. We were counting on that three-headed pup.

Silverstar: Oh no use worrying, we'll just have to make do till somepony bring Cerberus back.

Silverstar looks around and picks up a bit of chalk and a bucket of red paint. He then draws a chalk line where the bars would be and dribbles a puddle of red paint on the outside of the line.

Silverstar: That ought to hold until the bars get here.

Just then a group of unspeakable horrors emerge from the depths of Tarterus, ready wreck havok upon the land of Equestria.

Harry Kim: Ugh, oh thank God! I thought I'd never be able to see the surface again.

Chakotay: Indeed, once we get clear of all that fire and brimstone the transporters should be able to get a lock on our biosigns and beam us away.

Neelix: Oh, I don't know. Maybe we could get Voyager to send down us some buckets to scoop up from those rivers of blood, maggots, and festering offal. Why, I know and old Talaxian recipe tha...

The gibbering horror is interrupted when Sheriff Silverstar throws a big rock right into its face, knocking it out cold. The other two stand paralyzed, either in fear or relief until Braeburn promptly kicks them both in the groin and bucks them back into Tarterus where they fall down an endless pit into a plane of serpents.

Braeburn: Oh man... that was a close one.

Silverstar: Yeah... whooee... I'm starting to think we might need some more chalk. Ot pies.

A brown stallion with an hour glass cutie-mark walks up, hauling a cart with stone pegasus statues. A derp-eyed mare flies close behind, keeping an eye on the statues.

Whooves: Why hello there, Sheriff! Mind if I dispose of some ancient evils in your pit?

Silverstar: Go right ahead, that's what its there for. Though if you feel like helping to keep watch, I'd much appreciate it.

Whooves: Oh, I see. Well, I'd be glad to help out. Though, for now...

Whooves turns the cart around and promptly releases it with a kick, sending the cart and its cargo hurtling into the Tarturus pit where it is swept up in a screaming vortex of leering eyes and disembodied, probing fingers.

Whooves: See you in HELL, BITCHES!! HAhaHAhAhAhAHAHAAA!! *cough* Sorry bout that, always wanted to say it but it never seemed appropriate.

Silverstar: Aw, that's alright Son.

They all wait for a while, keeping watch.

Braeburn: I'll go get us some chairs and drinks.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

I haven't seen the episode yet (downloading it so I can watch it on my PS3 as my laptop is old and crappy), but has anyone noticed the plot synopsis for the season finale yet?
Spoiler
Twilight Sparkle's brother, Shining Armor, is getting married. However, things are not all they seem when she discovers something shocking about the marriage. This episode is displayed as a two parter.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Wing Commander MAD wrote:I meant cannon in the sense that she considered it a possibility, not that it was actually the reason. You can't very well have Epic Pony War as a potential explanation without the concept of war existing in the first place.
Tanks, bullets, and HazMat suits (with nuke cutie mark) are canon, too.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Skgoa wrote:
Wing Commander MAD wrote:I meant cannon in the sense that she considered it a possibility, not that it was actually the reason. You can't very well have Epic Pony War as a potential explanation without the concept of war existing in the first place.
Tanks, bullets, and HazMat suits (with nuke cutie mark) are canon, too.
Plus you know, an actual Pegasus Military in the Christmas episode.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Crazedwraith wrote:Plus you know, an actual Pegasus Military in the Christmas episode.
Well of course, how else are they going to keep down the periodic earth pony helot revolts?
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Considering the fact that there seemed to be a multitude of ancient horrors and eldritch evils running amok on a weekly basis in Equestria, there could (or should) be some sort of secret organization ala Men in Black, SCP Foundation or even and WH40K style Inquisition running around with even more advanced tools (magic, technology, something like that) and weapons to deal with these things.

I mean, even the Mane Six possessing the Elements of Harmony cannot hope to keep up with fighting evils that regularly.

If so, there should probably be somepony guarding Tartarus when Cerberus ran off. Who knows, maybe they call themselves the Dark Colts?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Seeing Equestria seems to to be a Matriarchy, wouldn't it be more fitting to call them the Mane in Black ? :v
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I think one of the most amazing aspects of this ep was that we discover that, Evidently... Twilight knows High Level Mathematics Regarding time dilation and Time expansion.

I don't know what is more impressive. That In-universe Twil could be that smart, or that Out of universe the creators bothered to add in REAL math Equations regarding "time travel"

Other highlights are that evidently Ponyville is less then a days journey from one (of several presumably) Gates to Tartarus, which is full of "All manor of evil beasts"

Score for world building!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Saturday morning cartoons are teaching kids mechanics equations!
If Cerberus along with Tartarus exists in Equestria does that mean the Greek pantheon could also exists?
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Rabid wrote:Seeing Equestria seems to to be a Matriarchy, wouldn't it be more fitting to call them the Mane in Black ? :v
Shameless self plug, but I actually put that in my fanfic, because I had a UFE (Unidentified Flying Equine) and crop circle plot line. Pinkie got abducted and woke up in a crop circle, and the CIA (Canterlot Intelligence Agency) showed up to investigate and take her to their Grooming Lake facility for study. Ponies in black suits and sunglasses, the lot. They were the first, last and only line of defence against the worst scum in the ponyverse.

... I should really post that story here in the fiction section. It was good fun.

I loved this episode. I always love it when you get wacky hijinks involving time travel and someone meeting their future self. Tbh if something like that happened to me I'd probably react just like Twilight did. And come on, a whole bunch of time spells in the Starswirl the Bearded wing? We just have to have the pony himself show up in person at some point. I imagine Twilight would fangirl like crazy over him while everypony else just shrugs and goes "Who's this old geezer?"
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Found an interesting note on EQD today about Bronies in Japan, and how the fandom differs from cultural differances and such. An interesting read to be sure.
Let us say that you are a cosmopolitan Pony fan. You have browsed the YouTubes, found the Russian version of Winter Wrap Up, and thought it was pretty good. Maybe you have run across the French version of Flutterguy, singing Evil Enchantress like a boss. Digging further, you might of even found the Italian version of the opening theme, which is complete awesomesauce. However, when looking about, you notice the complete lack of Japanese Ponies.

Short of the fan-dubs done by the very talented Ogatamon, the Japanese Brony movement appears strangely absent. Given the anime-inspired elements of “Friendship is Magic”, you might think that they would be all over this sort of show; the wonderful stylistic art, slice of life plot settings, and vividly colorful characters absolutely pop! What’s going on? Why have our friends in the East been so quiet?

Well, there are lots of reasons, but fear not. There exists a small community of Japanese pony fans…you just need to know where to look.

Japanese TV
My Little Pony has it pretty rough in Japan. First and foremost, foreign television shows are rarely syndicated there. The US is similar; Americans would rather remake a show than show it’s original version, even if it’s in English (ie: “The Office”). Since the Japanese animation market is already saturated, it is nearly impossible to get anything non-anime broadcast there.

There are are cultural barriers as well. The most glaring example is that Japanese audiences generally perceive cartoons with talking animal protagonists as preschool-aged entertainment. You think defending your love of a cartoon aimed at the 6-12 age group is bad? Try justifying one marketed to 3 to 6 year olds!

Yes, there are classic anime shows such as Kimba the White Lion, but that was made in 1965. Things have changed over the last five decades. Topping this off, the My Little Pony franchise is handled exclusively by a single company called Takara/Tomy, which is Hasbro’s only real, limited interface with the market.

That’s not to say there hasn’t been a success story or two. Powerpuff Girls proved to be really popular via satellite. However, the broadcast version was the widely panned Powerpuff Girls Z remake.

On the Internet
In the wilds of the Internet, a small Japanese MLP fanbase does exist. The first place you can look is a website called “ReadMe!Girls! Diary“. This blog appears to have started as a Powerpuff Girls site, and expanded into one about American cartoons in general. At current count, there are about 60 “Friendship is Magic” entries. Mostly, it explains the odd culture that has sprung from the show, along with explaining things such as what a “Brony” is and the Derpy phenomenon.

For those who want to catch an episode, the entire series and some fan content is fansubbed on NicoNico Douga (literally, “Smile Video”). NicoNico has a very unique way of showing content, where comments are scrolled on the screen. It almost has a livestream feel to it. Sadly, access to the content requires you to register on the website, which is a little difficult for people who can’t read Japanese.

Do you have an itching for Japanese fanart? You can find a good deal of it on Pixiv, which is something akin to deviantART. Of particular note, there is a fan-manga about Luna currently being published there called “Lunatic” that’s pretty cool.

Over at 2ch.net, you can find a brisk thread about MLP under the cartoon category. Many of the conversations eerily mirror what the fans talk about in English, but once a while you will run into a unique Japanese perspective on the show. Most of the fan memes translated over fairly well. You will find comments about Trollestia, Derpy, and the dreaded “Cupcakes” that someone took the time to translate. (Why!? Why would you do that!?)

One example of the odder discussions theorizes about the Equestrian train system, prompting this little gem which postulats where Equestria is located based on American geography.

メーンハッタンの元は当然マンハッタン
フィリデルフィアの元はニューヨークの南西にあるフィラデルフィア
この付近にある山はアパラチア山脈なのでエクエストリアはこの近郊。
この付近のアパラチア山脈で大規模な森林地帯はデラウェア近郊なのでポニービルはこの付近。
だから大体元になってるエクエストリア近郊地域はペンシルヴァニア州。
汽車で向かう砂漠地帯は1860年頃の西部開拓時代が元なのでネブラスカやカンザスといったアメリカ中西部。

Manehatten is really supposed to be “Manhattan”.
Phillydelphia is actually real city southwest of New York called “Philadelphia”.
The mountain range close to Equestria is actually the “Appalachians”.
The large forests around the Appalachians is close to Delaware. This area is Ponyville.
This places Equestria within the state of Pennsylvania.
The train was heading towards the desert areas going though Midwest such as Kansas and Nebraska. This was set in the 1860s, or the “Wild West” era.

Cultural Differences

From time to time there are clear cultural disconnects. One of the more glaring ones was when Twilight got sprayed by a skunk in “Winter Wrap Up.” There are no skunks in Japan, and Twi was sprayed off screen. The now-befuddled audience sees her follow some badger-like animals, and then suddenly she’s taking a bath in what’s translated as “ketchup.” There is no apparent connection between the two. They understand something was revolting, but the “clothespin on the nose” clue doesn’t translate. (Japanese commonly hold their nose, hold a cloth over the face, or wear a facemask).

Another example of this disconnect are the spa scenes. In Japan, the imagery of girls in bathhouses is seen as a shade on the steamier side. It’s jarring them to watch a cartoon about multicolored ponies feature a “bath scene.”

On the flip side, there are some scenes and situations that work much better in Japanese. Luna’s archaic speech is one instance. In Japan, people of authority say things in different ways when talking down to others. What made Luna work so well in Japanese was that she was obviously in a social situation, and didn’t need to talk down to others. It wasn’t that she was being authoritative, it was much more obvious through her formal language that she simply didn’t know.

The “Heart and Hooves” plot where Big Mac and Cheerlee baby-talked to each other also resonated. Public displays of affection in Japan are actually shunned because they’re seen as attention-seeking. Consequently, the awkward reactions of the Ponyville citizenry made perfect sense in that context.

Memes and Regional Attitudes
Are there Japanese MLP Memes? Eeyup! The most obvious one is that Big Macintosh has his very own nickname. He’s almost universally called “Aniki” (兄貴) which translates to “big brother.” He is in the top three of “best pony” in Japan. The other two are Fluttershy, and, oddly enough, Cheerilee-Sensei. In the case of Fluttershy, she has been promoted to “Honorary Japanese” because of how she behaves. Rainbow Dash is almost always subbed using male speech, making her a “Bokunoko” (僕の子), and Applejack speaks with a thick Osaka accent.

Those, in a very tiny nutshell, are the Japanese fans. They are not many in number, but are slowly growing. Feel free to poke around. Be careful though. Posting English in a Japanese comment section is really seen as poor form. Spamming text that others can’t read doesn’t help much with starting a dialog.

As you can see, there is a lot of potential for some really awesome cross-cultural MLP love. In part two of this series, I’ll show that the wonderfully odd fandom that has spring from these curious little ponies is not new. In fact, it has manifested twice in Japan over the strangest of things.

Stay Tuned!
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

New ep up!
Spike ep this week. First thoughts on it?

"Hurry we want to catch the Great Dragon Migration! Wow there are hundreds of them!"
<later>
"I'm sorry Spike, but there doesn't seem to be any books on Dragons! they are just too rare and we don't know anything about them!"

But aside from obvious nitpicks, good solid ep this week, And a bit more world building.
Also, we may have anew Meme... DERPY DRAGON
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Interesting episode. Too bad Spike apparently found a group of juvenile deliquents to hang out with.

I think it's safe to say that no matter the species (or universe) your average teenagers, when left to their own devices, are little shits.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

It seems that in Equestria, dragons loose the ability or will to speak when they get older.