My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Serafina »

lordofchange13 wrote:Zap-apples aren't an example of earth pony magic. they are a naturally occurring fruit found in the Everfree Forest.
True, but successfully cultivating is clearly special and likely due to Earth Pony magic.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Serafina wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:Zap-apples aren't an example of earth pony magic. they are a naturally occurring fruit found in the Everfree Forest.
True, but successfully cultivating is clearly special and likely due to Earth Pony magic.
Cultivating the apples successively seems to be more do to a girls light year outside of the box mind then from Earth Pony magic. Just looked at the Earth pony article on MLP:FIM Wiki where it states: "The Earth ponies' connection to the land and animals manifests in various ways. Chiefly, it's expressed in the episode Hearth's Warming Eve where it's stated in a holiday pageant that food can only be grown by Earth ponies. The pageant describes the Earth pony tribe's role in the founding of Equestria." Can someone please confirm this information for me, I have no access to YouTube at the moment.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

^^...especially since the weird steps taken to do so resemble pinkie's actions, for example with using those instruments to get rid of the parasprites. 'Being wacky' seems like it might be a large part of how earth pony magic works (this is possibly also backed up by how the earth ponies present themselves in Hearth's Warming Eve; while the other tribes use big impressive trumpets, the earth ponies use kazoos..).
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

evilsoup wrote:^^...especially since the weird steps taken to do so resemble pinkie's actions, for example with using those instruments to get rid of the parasprites. 'Being wacky' seems like it might be a large part of how earth pony magic works (this is possibly also backed up by how the earth ponies present themselves in Hearth's Warming Eve; while the other tribes use big impressive trumpets, the earth ponies use kazoos..).
I think you might be on to something. The Kazoo part could be a reference to their history with hunting, probably not though. But Applejack the only farmer in the show seems pretty well adjusted, so does she not have access to Earth magic?
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

I think this is the only episode I actively hate.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

oh wow.. ok so finished with new ep...And...

Every theory about Pony Genetics is SHATTERED. Prepare for the wailing cry of thousands of Bronys going WTF!?!?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Why is it that poundcake was able to fly so well and be a baby. but the only other winged fillys that come to mind :Scooteloo and Fluttershy couldn't fly for most of their lives?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Theories:

From the opening Carrot is cake is NOT real father... Just watch his shifty eyes!
Also all of the "Super powered" stuff that happened was Pinkie Begin delusional and over exaggerating.

Thats my new head canon and I'm sticking too it!!!
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Every theory about Pony Genetics is SHATTERED. Prepare for the wailing cry of thousands of Bronys going WTF!?!?
Oh indeed.

Carrot Cake: "My great-great-great-great grandfather was a unicorn. And Cup Cake's great-aunt twice-removed was a pegasus. That makes sense, right?"

Fandom = trolled. That was pretty much my very first thought when I heard that. Good game, producers. :D
General Schatten wrote:I think this is the only episode I actively hate.
I can actually understand that. I like Pinkie, I really do, but a little of her can go a long way.

Personally, I was half expecting to see Twilight there at the end, as it would seem to have gone well with the letter Pinkie was writing when she mentioned sometimes it can be beyond one pony's ability. But alas, they didn't.

Still, the ending was just a big ol' dawwwwww moment with "Pinkie" "Pie".
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Yes! Ponies can have different kinds of children than themselves! That has all sorts of possibilities!

Though the "And that makes sense, RIGHT?!" line was hilarious, especially as to how it was delivered.

Pinkie Pie playing with the babies is incredibly adorable.

Poor Spike XD

Why are the Cakes asking ponies who did not (officially at least) have babies on their own? Wouldn't it be far more logical to give the babies to someone who has been (or is) a mother before? Like Granny Smith?

No Pinkie, it'd Diane, not "responsibility".

There will not be enough flour in the shop by the end of the episode. XD

Ponies age faster apparently, as the babies are very active and seem to have developed mentally fairly well. They can see things, able to move on their own and even understand somewhat of being spoken to.

Huh, for only a baby running lose, the show can turn surprisingly creepy.

Not quite flying, but that is a surprising way to use wings.

Huh, it appears that some magic is natively learned.

Wow, a one-month baby able to lift an adult mare. I know that its only for comedy, but that is certainly impressive. Dash may be right, Poundcake may have talent.

Wow, going trough walls. That is impressive. I wonder whether we will ever see Twilight do that?

Oh my, the babies trying to cheer up Pinkie Pie. That is so adorable.

Oh wow, their first words! Oh my.

Conclusion: I love it. It is funny, adorable and just heartwarming. Usually I detest shows dealing with babies or children, but this one worked perfectly and fitten into the show quite well. Especially with Pinkie Pie somehow.

EDIT: Rewatching the episode. I just noticed that Mrs.Cake gave bottled milk instead of hers. Not really a criticisms, but still makes you wonder about the thinking regarding breastfeeding.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Pony genetics shattered? They just proved that the three phenotypes are the same species and have recessive allels. Pony genetics is now canon. :)

Zixinus wrote:EDIT: Rewatching the episode. I just noticed that Mrs.Cake gave bottled milk instead of hers. Not really a criticisms, but still makes you wonder about the thinking regarding breastfeeding.
They don't have breast. It's a kid's show. *MSTKmantra*
Last edited by Skgoa on 2012-01-14 11:50am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

General Schatten wrote:I think this is the only episode I actively hate.
This episode was in no way my favorite, but it was still cute enough to watch.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

lordofchange13 wrote:Why is it that poundcake was able to fly so well and be a baby. but the only other winged fillys that come to mind :Scooteloo and Fluttershy couldn't fly for most of their lives?
Because pegasi learn how to fly at different times - something that was already implicit based on the really small flying ponies in episode 2? Individuals just develop at different rates. I don't see the problem with this explanation.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Bright wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:Why is it that poundcake was able to fly so well and be a baby. but the only other winged fillys that come to mind :Scooteloo and Fluttershy couldn't fly for most of their lives?
Because pegasi learn how to fly at different times - something that was already implicit based on the really small flying ponies in episode 2? Individuals just develop at different rates. I don't see the problem with this explanation.
I also like this theory I got off Ponygoons:
Grue from Ponygoons wrote:Re: flying and magic in baby ponies, I think the line Rarity says at the beginning is definitely foreshadowing for what's about to happen, and I think Pumpkin Cake's magic burst caused Pound Cake to fly really well, and normally pegasi ponies don't fly until they are older (than Scootaloo). It's pretty rare for pegasus and unicorn to be twins (how does that even work?!! ), so what happened in this episode usually doesn't happen. Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
This actually makes a good bit of sense, and can also be used to explain Pumpkin's levitating ability as some of that 'pegasus magic' going back into her.

This is my new head canon. :)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

RogueIce wrote:
Grue from Ponygoons wrote:Re: flying and magic in baby ponies, I think the line Rarity says at the beginning is definitely foreshadowing for what's about to happen, and I think Pumpkin Cake's magic burst caused Pound Cake to fly really well, and normally pegasi ponies don't fly until they are older (than Scootaloo). It's pretty rare for pegasus and unicorn to be twins (how does that even work?!! ), so what happened in this episode usually doesn't happen. Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
This actually makes a good bit of sense, and can also be used to explain Pumpkin's levitating ability as some of that 'pegasus magic' going back into her.
For a land of magical talking horses that has good enough logic to it, is now head canon.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Bright wrote:
It's wasn't so much that he could fly it was that Poundcake had no trouble keeping in the air for so long. I cool with it now from the explanation of outside factors leading to his ability.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Do not remember this scene. *Argument withdrawn*
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

The Cakes are the Kents of Ponyville. They found the twins next to a meteorite in their back yard, and the twins are the the Superman and Supergirl. (Supercolt and Superfilly?) That's my theory on their various feats of strength. It makes sense, right? :wink:
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

You know, they are obviously not identical twins, since one is male and the other female.
So they can of course have different alleles, since they are for all intents and purposes just siblings born at the same time.

Loved the episode.
I explain both the flying and the advanced magic with them being babies - they are instinctive actions, parts of bursts of hyperactivity. Ponies have to learn to use their skills consciously later on. That actually happens (although obviously with other things) with human babies as well.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

The little unicorn one was doing types of magic we haven't seen Twilight, the god-princess' apprentice, do. I'm not saying she couldn't do it, but we've never seen her walking through solid objects using her magic. It's possible that they're both prodigies, or as Serafina wrote it could be the same type of thing as how human babies know how to swim instinctively, but forget as they get older.

Now we know that the ponies develop at a different (faster) rate than human children... apart from not speaking and not being toilet trained, at one month old they were ahead of a human toddler of one and a half years... walking around, running around, opening doors, hiding effectively, communicating quite well with each other... and seriously, they spoke their first words on the evening of their first month of existence.

Also, Pinkie mentioned and 'old-time fort', yet more evidence of violence in Equestria's history..
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I have just realized this...

1-Word of Faust is that they reproduce like any other mammal, they just leave out the details of which for obvious reasons
2-The Newborn Unicorns at the ward had horns.

Ouch...

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I think I saw someone comparing baby unicorns' use of magic to human babies instinctually being able to swim at a young age but unlearning that "skill" as they get a bit older. I think that's a great explanation for what we saw here.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Narkis wrote:The Cakes are the Kents of Ponyville. They found the twins next to a meteorite in their back yard, and the twins are the the Superman and Supergirl. (Supercolt and Superfilly?) That's my theory on their various feats of strength. It makes sense, right? :wink:
That... WOULD ROCK.

Except... The whole hospital scene seems to leave that out and heavily implies pregnancy and what not:P
Still nifty idea
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I don't doubt that Twilight could use such magic if she wanted to. However, teleporting would work just as well. It might also be that that spell only works on transparent objects, and thickness might play a role as well

Really, the feats of the babies don't seem odd to me. Twilight and Rarity mentioned that Unicorn-babies have odd outbursts of magic. Since we know that all types of ponies have their own innate magic, Poundcakes flying skills are easily explained by it being an outburst of Pegasus-magic (since Pegasi-flight is clearly magically assisted). He also wasn't flying when his parents were around, who are probably dampening their children's outbursts of magic.

Also, their fast development fits quite well with real-world horses, who can walk within hours after birth.