My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wooo! Filly Fluttershy!

I quite like Rainbow Dash's characterisation in this. At first she seemed to be only caring about the record and only wanted Fluttershy there to make that happen but later portions of the episode really elevated her to truly caring about her friend and the job.

Considering they thought they'd reach 1000 wing power with the pegasi averaging 10 wp that means cloudsdale has an adult pegasus population of about 100.

Interestingly, RD seemed to be coaching them during the tornado attempts and thus not using a full wing power. So maybe they didn't really need fluttershy and RD just wanted to motivate her?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Crazedwraith wrote: Considering they thought they'd reach 1000 wing power with the pegasi averaging 10 wp that means cloudsdale has an adult pegasus population of about 100.
I was thinking about this early, that this gives us a good approximation of Pegasi Population for Ponyville.
If we ever knew what fraction Pegasi were, it would give us an idea of the over all total population for Ponyville, which would then give us an idea of what a more "populated" city would be like in Equestria.

From what we see, I'd be surprised if there was a 1000 or more Ponies total for Ponyville.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Fluttershy IS a tree.

It had to be said.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I loved this episode. I think it was one of the best in the season. The montage of Fluttershy training was also great.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

You guys are not going to believe this:

:| ...
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

That has been out for a while, and it looks AWESOME!
I mean seeing them fight an army of evil clones? Whats not to like?

Or are you talking about the wedding itself?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:That has been out for a while, and it looks AWESOME!
I mean seeing them fight an army of evil clones? Whats not to like?

Or are you talking about the wedding itself?
I'd be more enthusiastic about it, if Luna actually shows up for once...
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Here here... For a ROYAL Wedding, they better have Luna.

The producers have shown time and again how they tip their hat to the fans.
Derpy, Lyra, even the new Fluttershy is Tree meme. They do a lot for the fans, one would think, would HOPE they would indluge us here and put in Luna.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Maybe the clones are actually the result of OTT time travel, ala the Kennedy Assassination from Red Dwarf. As in the Mane Six travel back in time to prevent the wedding.

Cadence is Celestia's niece? Ah dammit. The OC I made for my fanfic was Celestia's niece, though obviously not Cadence. D'oh.

Either way, that episode looks plain weird.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

It has been hinted that the "Dark Secret" that may ruin the wedding is that Cadence is in fact not a pure alicorn. And either her wings or horn is false or non usable. That would allow Hasbro to still sell all the toys they want, while still keeping Celestia and Luna as "Real' Alicorns.

As for the evil clones. Some rumors say Dischord may be back, others say some big spell goes wrogn and it splits them up.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So its that an episode? or the finale? or an extra long special? Seeing as its not on for a month...
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:others say some big spell goes wrogn and it splits them up.
My Little Pony does their version of Star Trek's The Enemy Within? Meh. We already had evil mane six when Discord did his thing. And I doubt they'd bring Discord back.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:It has been hinted that the "Dark Secret" that may ruin the wedding is that Cadence is in fact not a pure alicorn. And either her wings or horn is false or non usable. That would allow Hasbro to still sell all the toys they want, while still keeping Celestia and Luna as "Real' Alicorns.
I'd like to believe that, but it doesn't seem plausible. Faust has commented that she was involved in the plotting of this story, but Cadence ultimately being a winged unicorn came as a total surprise to her once production had begun. I don't see how this bit could have been added in by Hasbro without changing the core story at all. Faust also seemed a bit nonplussed about there being more than two alicorns (as am I).

It's more likely that the Cadence in the two-parter actually turns out to be an evil clone of the real Cadence and Twilight and co. will have to rescue her.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Why was Luna not in any of the scenes?!
Crazedwraith wrote:So its that an episode? or the finale? or an extra long special? Seeing as its not on for a month...
It is going to be a two-part finale.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

It's also possible that Twilight tries some kind of clone spell. Like the wedding is going along and then problems come up where the Mane cast have to literally be in more than one place at a time for things to work. Then crazy stuff happens.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:It has been hinted that the "Dark Secret" that may ruin the wedding is that Cadence is in fact not a pure alicorn. And either her wings or horn is false or non usable. That would allow Hasbro to still sell all the toys they want, while still keeping Celestia and Luna as "Real' Alicorns.

As for the evil clones. Some rumors say Dischord may be back, others say some big spell goes wrogn and it splits them up.
My prediction? It will be a send up of Cinderella. Cadence will have originally been an ordinary earth pony. She will have been in love with Shining Armor (Twilight’s brother) but not have the confidence to approach him. She will then have met Discord (playing a very strange fairy godmother) who will grant her a wish, turning her in to a winged unicorn, making her a princess and writing the universe a bit so no one notices anything odd. Discord will have done this because of all the chaos it will inevitably cause. In the end her ‘dark secret’ will be found out but Shining Armor will love her all the same and the two marry anyway.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Cadence is Celestia's niece, huh? So how does Prince Blueblood fit in, he's her nephew and doesn't even have wings!
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

He is a unicorn though. There's a writeup of pony genetics somewhere.

Anyways, back to Hurricane Fluttershy, my comments as I was watching:

Wow, that dark pegasus colt with the awesome color pattern
Fluttershy is a tree!
Awesome, 50s informational video!
Spitfire's gonna be back?
YEAHHHH STEROIDS!!
Oh Fluttershy, stop horsing around!
Ooh, Rainbow Dash learned to be more considerate. Character development!
Oh Twilight, you so
Wait, coughing? I can see the plot happening.

Ouch RD, that cracking sounds like it hurts...
Oh Spike, looks like you still have some learning to do
Wow, creepy eyes, I'd be scared too if that's what it looked like
Angel is helping? Really?
Those ponies weren't laughing at you Fluttershy...
Armbands, wow, did she borrow from Pinkie?
THROUGH a tree? Damn.
Training montage yeah!
Fluttershy rolling in with her crew, yeah!

...and then I stopped typing and just watched. A wonderful episode, one of my new favorites!

The thing with population, those 8 pegasi with the feather flu dropped wingpower down from over 1000 to under 800. That would suggest each pony with a wingpower of 25, which is unreasonable considering RD was at 16 or so. More likely is that total wingpower grows exponentially with number of ponies making the tornado. Rainbow Dash thought that they could easily break the 1000 wingpower needed, so let's round up to say 1100 wingpower produced total by every pegasi working together. So doing some math, with p^w=1100 and (p-8)^w=800 where p is the number of pegasi and w is the wingpower exponential term, you get a minimum Ponyville pegasus population of about 50, and a wingpower term of 1.8.

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it though, because when I do it in terms of wingpower (10*p^w=1100, 10*(p-8)^w=800), with every pegasus producing 10 wingpower, I get a Ponyville pegasus population of about 37.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

i thought rainbow dash was at 60 not 16?

but i agree that it seems to be a cumulative factor to reconcile the everyone needs 10 at the start of the episode and the 8 ponies = 200 at the end.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It was definitely 16 and that nearly pushed Fluttershy away.

I don't think wingpower is so simply linear. But yay, let's overthink cartoon physics!
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Maybe some of the ponies who were there were affected by the flu (just not enough to prevent them from attending), and that could also have lowered the score?

also
TWILIGHT: Oh no, we need one more flyer to get over the limit
SPITFIRE: *doesn't give a damn*
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

TWILIGHT: Oh no, we need one more flyer to get over the limit
SPITFIRE: *doesn't give a damn*
Good point.
I don't think wingpower is so simply linear. But yay, let's overthink cartoon physics!
Now that you mention it, one of my first thoughts regarding the epidsode is that we need someone to run some calculations to give us a Wingpower(Wp) to Newton ratio. I doubt we'd get anything accurate, but at least we could get a rough idea. We know 800 Wp is needed to create a vortex powerful enough to lift the reservoir's water.* Best bet would be to try to scale the reservoir to figure out its rough capacity as I believe the reservoir was drained completely, then using the density of water figure out the mass moved. We should then be able to get an idea of the force needed lift the water. Then it'd simply be a matter of finding the force needed to create a vortex that generates a force with enough vertical component to lift the water...

Did I just do what I think I did? I belong here, there is no reason for a sane or normal person to see a scene in a cartoon and then have that line of thought be the first thing that comes to mind. :lol:

Note: Based on the PSA film I'm guessing reservoirs in Equestria are standardized to some extent, in that they all hold at a minimum the amount needed by Cloudsdale to generate the precipitation, and 800 Wp is what is needed to lift that minimum amount.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Maybe not all reservoirs; they could just select from bodies of water with enough capacity..
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

It's just disturbing to a degree that even the simplest/commonest of natural phenomena are shepherded and regulated by the ponies in Equestria. Everfree is the only place that I felt was actually natural. Discord must had really did a number on the world, huh?

Why did you guys think Lauren Faust would want to depict a world where everything from bird migrations and rainfall to autumn leaves dropping and such had to be run by ponies and not run naturally by itself? Other than that it looks fantastical when shown on TV?

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ok here is a question...

This may sound silly, but does anyone know how the REAL target audiance likes the show?
As in, kids/young girls aged 5 to 7. With so much now being tips to the older fans and to bronies.. How do younger kids actually find watching the show?

I don't know if I ever really saw a survey or review asking young girls about this ":P
Read "One Wrong Turn"!