My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rossum
Padawan Learner

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Rossum »

You know, after seeing this (in particular Lunas grand entrance) I get the impression that Celestia and Luna had a sort of "Good Cop, Bad Cop" thing going on in the time before Lunas 1,000 year banishment. Mainly that all the griffins and dragons and diamond dogs would respect Equestria either for Celestias diplomacy and sunny disposition or Lunas ability to scare the crap out of everyone in a ten mile radius.

I mean she can apparently turn day into night whenever she wants (or whenever Celestia lets her or whatever), can summon stormclouds, make lightning strike when she talks, has this extra loud Voice of the Legion thing going on, and has all sorts of scary pony guards and chariots and stuff.

I can just imagine some army of monsters or griffins getting close to Equestrias boarders and thinking they can rough up the weak little ponies, then scoff at Celestias attempts to reason with them... then Celestia calls up her "little sister" and the invaders are treated to the sky darkening and a super powered demon mare arriving with her vampire pegasus guards to "discuss things". Even if Luna just sits across the table from you and talks about tax laws or boarder treaties, having the very sky itself reverberate with her words and having those monster guard ponies behind her (in comparison to all the sugary cute ponies you see elsewhere) its going to add some intimidation value to her case.

So pre-banishment everyone saw Celestia as this big smiling nice leader (who might have trollish tendancies because nobody can be perfect) while the mysterious Luna was some horrible monster that eats your soul if you cause trouble. Ones the carrot and the other is the stick that keeps things working. The Nightmare Moon incident could have come about both from people not appreciating her night sky and also being afraid to get near her due to her reputation.

On the plus side, in modern Equestria she might be able to find plenty of ponies who enjoy heavy metal, gothic art, and doing stuff at night.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Um, yeah... Who is to say that 1000 years ago Celestia wasn't just as bad?
The way Luna acted, feeling that this was so "normal" makes one think that it wasn't just how SHE was supposed to act, it was simply how the Princess where supposed to act.
So yeah, I'm betting 1000 years ago, Sweetie kind gentle Celestia was just as LOUD AS LUNA WAS!!!!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Wow, when choosing a personality for Luna, they decided to go for one none of the fans thought of. :lol: I guess the producers decided Twilight or Fluttershy 2.0 was silly.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Samuel wrote:Wow, when choosing a personality for Luna, they decided to go for one none of the fans thought of. :lol: I guess the producers decided Twilight or Fluttershy 2.0 was silly.
I'm guessing she represents another female personality type.

Twilight - bookish introvert
Rarity - fashonista
Applejack - tomboyish work oriented
Fluttershy - sensitive quite one
Rainbow Dash - tomboyish athlete
Pinkie Pie - extroverted party animal

Celestia - grown up mother/teacher figure

Luna - teenager. Wanting to be grown up and respected while dealing with other people. Seems to like heavy metal and goth clothes.

Or something like that. When Luna was talking with Twilight and started speaking in her normal voice (instead of the authoritative TRADITIONAL CANTERLOT WAY OF SPEAKING) she looked to me like someone who is just a little older than Twilight (like a big sister or something) who was speaking loudly because she wants to be grown up, authoritative, and official. Kind of like the quote "When I grew up I left behind childish things, like the desire to act grown up." except she's still has to leave behind the desire to grow up thing or whatever.

Its like the normal ponies of Equestria represent young girls or children and the alicorns represent adults. Celestia is all grown up but Luna still has a ways to go. There may be something else to it but it looks like the main characters of the show are meant to represent a wide variety of personality types, and of course having two bookworms or two quite types doesn't add as much as bringing in a new type of personality to work with.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Zixinus wrote:Nah, I am guessing that it would be something more tame and complementary to her stlye. Look at Pinky Pie's Gummy: it (I have no idea what gender it is nor how can it be toothless) is a very placid, slow creature in contrast to Pinky Pie's tremendus amount of energy and constant seek of fun. Fluttershy's Angel is bossy and even a little mean. Opalescence is quite aloof.

I'm betting on a bat. Just because I find the mental image of a bat cluchting on to Dash for its dear life adorable.
I would enjoy a bat a bit more too, just said eagle because she needs something that can fly.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:While Celestia was not actually in this episode, this may be one of her worst Trolls ever. Why?
Because Luna has been free for Months, Possibly more then a YEAR, and in all that time Celestia never bothered to explain how things have changed a little bit, and instead sends her off in a way sure to freak out the ponies. Wicked Troll.
Agreed.

Even worse, every other instance where people accuse Celestia of trolling I can see the start of an argument to defend her. But not this.

How are the Brony websites reacting to Luna being nothing like what they expected ?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Am i the only one who is not that surprised by it?
First of all, the show has so far lacked a teenager-archetype and a goth-archetype, so it's not surprise that we get one. Second of all, Luna IS the younger sister of Celestia - but given Celestias age, that easily puts Luna into the perfect age category (relative to Celestia at least) to be a teenager.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Serafina wrote:Am i the only one who is not that surprised by it?
First of all, the show has so far lacked a teenager-archetype and a goth-archetype, so it's not surprise that we get one. Second of all, Luna IS the younger sister of Celestia - but given Celestias age, that easily puts Luna into the perfect age category (relative to Celestia at least) to be a teenager.
I was under the impression that Rainbow Dash filled that stereotype pretty well, being the more agressive (angry?) teenager in the group.

But then, I say that to my girlfriend and she points out, perhaps rightly so, that Rainbow Dash is more of a "bitchy but popular head cheerleader" type...and frankly, I kind of see it. The term she used was She-Jock, which I found hilarious.

At any rate I just found this whole episode hilarious. Luna's running gag should be that she HAS TROUBLE PROPERLY GAUGING VOLUME!!!! That's easily the funniest part of this whole episode, and I'm calling it early, a new meme.
Kanye West Saves.

Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:At any rate I just found this whole episode hilarious. Luna's running gag should be that she HAS TROUBLE PROPERLY GAUGING VOLUME!!!! That's easily the funniest part of this whole episode, and I'm calling it early, a new meme.
Not quite early. This fandom seems to work awfully fast. Check this (admittedly very little) sample of what I found yesterday on Ponibooru :

3 MB animated GIF - From here.

Or this one :

And in other news, at least one Tumblr has been started about Pipsqueak, the adorable pirate. Good new : it is not a grimdark one. Stay tuned.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Aw horseapples, now I have to go through my fanfic and change all of Luna's lines.

Egads!
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Oh goddamn, I see it now and it's hilarious:

And she's the devil! The DEVIL!
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

evilsoup wrote:Aw horseapples, now I have to go through my fanfic and change all of Luna's lines.
Me, I'm sticking to the characterization I came up with. Trying to retcon her into canon Luna would completely toss out the character arc I have planned for her.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

I'll just leave this here...

(<80 KB JPEG image, safe for work)
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Princess Luna - Konrad Curze the Night Haunter in pony form.
JADAFETWA
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

the way she speaks is was awesome and thought out! Though i am still a little confused on her caps lock problem.

Some much needed clarification on how dragons breed.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Because I enjoy a well played Pun, posting this from EQ Daily:
Someone on Ponygoons came up with this one:

Starswirl the bearded.
father of the amniomorphic spell.
amnio=bowl.
morphic=morph
a bearded wizard that shapes bowls
a hairy potter"

Oh Twilight Sparkle, you so silly.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Bright wrote:
evilsoup wrote:Aw horseapples, now I have to go through my fanfic and change all of Luna's lines.
Me, I'm sticking to the characterization I came up with. Trying to retcon her into canon Luna would completely toss out the character arc I have planned for her.
Well, it would just mean replacing all the (singular) 'you's with 'thou', and so on ... but on the other hand, eh, fuck it.

ALSO: Luna, Princess of the Night Vs. Voltan, Prince of the Hawk-men - who wins?

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Because I enjoy a well played Pun, posting this from EQ Daily:
Someone on Ponygoons came up with this one:

Starswirl the bearded.
father of the amniomorphic spell.
amnio=bowl.
morphic=morph
a bearded wizard that shapes bowls
a hairy potter"

Oh Twilight Sparkle, you so silly.
...wow. Just...wow. If that really is intentional, it's gotta be the best-hidden stealth pun I've seen in ages!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

evilsoup wrote:
Bright wrote:
Well, it would just mean replacing all the (singular) 'you's with 'thou', and so on ... but on the other hand, eh, fuck it.

ALSO: Luna, Princess of the Night Vs. Voltan, Prince of the Hawk-men - who wins?
It's hard to say, their both have lungs of steel. Luna has a scarier voice so i will side iwth her.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

IDK, I mean Voltan has a heartier laugh. Voltan's VOICE OF POWER also lets him lead the hawk-men into battle, whereas Luna's TRADITIONAL CANTERLOT ROYAL VOICE just seems to scare everypony off.

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

evilsoup wrote:IDK, I mean Voltan has a heartier laugh. Voltan's VOICE OF POWER also lets him lead the hawk-men into battle, whereas Luna's TRADITIONAL CANTERLOT ROYAL VOICE just seems to scare everypony off.
Yeah, it would be a really bad ass contest, but I am bias to Luna because...she's LUNA!! the god-empresses sister, princess of the night, the Alicorn who commands vampire servants; but the power of commanding hawk-men is a gives a lot of points to Voltan, also Voltan dies while pranks defenseless children for the lolz. the only one who can determinate the out come would be to call in Black Canary.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Considering this is SDN here, the home of VS debates and quantitative analysis based on on-screen evidence, I thought it would interest some people to see an analysis of a Pony "real" size. Especially for fics that put them against humans.

Here it is. (<1 MB JPG image, safe for work)

(=> original PB thread)
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

I've personally been relying on the Apple scale, which comes to about the same conclusion (it pegs AJ at about 3"4'). It's nice to see corroborating evidence, though.

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

evilsoup wrote:I've personally been relying on the Apple scale, which comes to about the same conclusion (it pegs AJ at about 3"4'). It's nice to see corroborating evidence, though.
Rabid's pic comes out to about the same height. But the average human is not `6 feet tall, and when comparing proportions of 2 species you should try the average.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

So yeah, these are pretty much the best "humanized pony" fan pictures I've seen:

http://french-teapot.deviantart.com/gal ... 4#/d3h6s67

http://french-teapot.deviantart.com/gal ... 4#/d3hdj52

I mean, damn, look at them!