Dresden Files TV Series - Worth It?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Dresden Files TV Series - Worth It?

Post by Crazedwraith »

Well, I'm thinking about getting the single season of the Dresden Files TV show and since I'm totally incapable of making decisions without internet input I though I'd ask you guys how good it was? It's less than a tenner on amazon, so it have to pretty godawful to not be worth it.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Dresden Files TV Series - Worth It?

Post by Majin Gojira »

It's...not that great, really. Watchable, certainly.

It's available on Hulu currently, so you can watch it for yourself and make a decision based on that.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

*Points at location* Not so much.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

It's not as good as the books, obviously. We watched it once and haven't really had the urge to watch it again, but it's not terrible. It just feels more like Angel or some other supernatural series. It was also cut short, so you don't really get to see things develop at all.

One positive is Bob, who was changed for TV, but in an interesting way. I found him to be very entertaining.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There are some changes made for the TV series - but I thought they fit well. Bob is probably the biggest alteration, but their version of Bob works well. Dresden drives a jeep rather than a bug, but Butcher later said it's because they tried using a bug and it was just impossible to make filming scenes work with it, so they used another old, banged up, kinda-small old-tech vehicle. If I recall Murphy isn't blond, and on TV Morgan is black, but ya know, that's cosmetic stuff that isn't integral to the story line. They don't follow novel plotlines exactly, but it's recognizably Dresden.

I enjoyed it on broadcast. I watched it again on Hulu. For less than 10 bucks I'd buy it (if I had ten bucks, which I don't right now).
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Their actor for Dresden is forever stuck in my head whenever I read the books.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nit and I loved it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Gaidin wrote:Their actor for Dresden is forever stuck in my head whenever I read the books.
Yea, Paul Blackthorne was a good fit.

I enjoyed it and it certainly could've used some work. Would have been great to see a second season.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It depends: as supernatural shows go, it isn't bad. There was a good legend behind it, certainly. If you like urban fantasy, go ahead with it.

The fault of its failure, aside airing the pilot/series start during the Superbowl, was that it's pilot hinted that it would be an accurate reproduction of the Dresden universe... and then turned heels when the real series started for the director to go his own way.

Which isn't bad per say.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Crazedwraith wrote:*Points at location* Not so much.
points at watch-series.com
used this to watch shows when I was in Germany it's somewhat similar to hulu but no restrictions on location.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

it is also on the watch instantly list for netflix, I enjoyed it. I was disappointed to learn it was cancelled like Firefly after only a dozen episodes.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Psychic_Sandwich
Padawan Learner

Post by Psychic_Sandwich »

I think it depends on just how much you like the books. The show is definitely okay on it's own merits, even good. Dresden works perfectly, the plots are mostly decent, and there are some really good quirks that fit the world perfectly, like Dresden's hocky stick staff. However, it's also not the Dresden Files books on telly, and if you go into it expecting that, like I did, you will be deeply disappointed.