Let's Talk About Watchmen

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Re: Let's Talk About Watchmen

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm pretty sure it was cannon that Manhattan could 'only' intercept 95% of a soviet nuclear response. He's not omnipotent, just nearly so.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

It's 99% in the book excerpt, and that's as a result of computer modelling, not Jon's opinion. Also the word is 'canon'.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
LionElJonson
Padawan Learner

Post by LionElJonson »

Rorschach is fucking awesome. Psychologically damaged, but still awesome.

Also, I've never read the graphic novels or watched the whole movie, but didn't V die from the dozens of gunshot wounds he took in that last fight scene?
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

LionElJonson wrote:Rorschach is fucking awesome. Psychologically damaged, but still awesome.

Also, I've never read the graphic novels or watched the whole movie, but didn't V die from the dozens of gunshot wounds he took in that last fight scene?
Yes, in the movie he died from multiple gunshot wounds... although he was still strong enough to kill everyone else in the room. I'm pretty sure if you get shot that many times the shock will kill you instantly (it was about 10 guys unloading an entire pistol magazine at the range of a couple meters).
Freefall
Youngling

Post by Freefall »

The excuse there was he was wearing an iron plate under his shirt to absorb some of the damage. Lucky thing none of them shot him in the head, legs, or arms.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Freefall wrote:The excuse there was he was wearing an iron plate under his shirt to absorb some of the damage. Lucky thing none of them shot him in the head, legs, or arms.
They tried that in world war one. I have a whole book about all the inventive body armor they used to protect themselves. It wasn't very useful. Especially if multiple bullets are impacting the same site and metal shards from the plating are ripping up your insides.

It might keep you alive, but I somehow doubt you'd be able to do anything while your lungs are filling with blood. It is a neat way to make V look awesome along with a mildly reasonable explanation, but it falls apart when he kills them before they can reload.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Samuel wrote:
Freefall wrote:The excuse there was he was wearing an iron plate under his shirt to absorb some of the damage. Lucky thing none of them shot him in the head, legs, or arms.
They tried that in world war one. I have a whole book about all the inventive body armor they used to protect themselves. It wasn't very useful. Especially if multiple bullets are impacting the same site and metal shards from the plating are ripping up your insides.

It might keep you alive, but I somehow doubt you'd be able to do anything while your lungs are filling with blood. It is a neat way to make V look awesome along with a mildly reasonable explanation, but it falls apart when he kills them before they can reload.
It's not that bad when you consider some of the things people have been capable of. Plus, it's not like we know exactly what had been done to V at Larkhill, beyond the fact it messed with his mind and made him a peak human. Certainly within the confines of the story, it's not that beyond the realms of possibility.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Freefall
Youngling

Post by Freefall »

Samuel wrote:They tried that in world war one. I have a whole book about all the inventive body armor they used to protect themselves. It wasn't very useful. Especially if multiple bullets are impacting the same site and metal shards from the plating are ripping up your insides.

Hey, I said it was an excuse, not that it was believable. Although V is certainly strong enough to wear a much thicker chunk of metal than a normal person could (I forget what it actually looked like; maybe he pulled a Marty McFly and just shoved a boiler plate under his clothes).

And at least he still died afterwards.

It still seems like all those gunmen would have had exceptionally good aim to hit him only in the torso and nowhere else with automatic weapons.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Samuel wrote:
LionElJonson wrote:Rorschach is fucking awesome. Psychologically damaged, but still awesome.

Yes, in the movie he died from multiple gunshot wounds... although he was still strong enough to kill everyone else in the room. I'm pretty sure if you get shot that many times the shock will kill you instantly (it was about 10 guys unloading an entire pistol magazine at the range of a couple meters).
Yes, the shock would kill you. Not V however. There are drugs like PCP that will make you effectively immune to the PAIN that a bullet can do. Getting shot in the stomach or lung doesn't mean your legs and arms stop working. It is a matter of pain. It is the pain that makes you fall down. If you can overcome the pain, which it is very clear that movie V can do, there is no reason that, even multiple bullet wounds, would stop you unless they are instantly fatal, such as heart shots, brain, spinal cord.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"