What if John Henry was around for the recent mine disasters?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

What if John Henry was around for the recent mine disasters?

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

say John Henry was available as an additional rescue volunteer for the WV coal mine incident warlier this year, as well as the incidents in Chilie and New Zealand. Would the old steam drill beating hammer swinger be able to help out in any way?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Re: What if John Henry was around for the recent mine disast

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

Not unless you want him to kill himself rescuing miners.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

and on a subnote what would be the media's response to a 10' tall black guy with superhhuman strength that's apparently been around for over a hundred and fifty years...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I take it we're not talking DC's John Henry Irons here, as that would be pretty trivial (if potentially complicated) tasks for him with little in the way of personal risk.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'd say he's more of a risk than helpful. Swinging away at a mountain would probably cause more rocks to fall on top of the trapped miners.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:I take it we're not talking DC's John Henry Irons here, as that would be pretty trivial (if potentially complicated) tasks for him with little in the way of personal risk.
Funny enough, that was my first thought, too.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

JME2 wrote:
Batman wrote:I take it we're not talking DC's John Henry Irons here, as that would be pretty trivial (if potentially complicated) tasks for him with little in the way of personal risk.
Great minds obviously think alike :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:
JME2 wrote:
Great minds obviously think alike :D
Heh. :mrgreen:
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

He might be able to do some good near the surface, but I think he'd run out of slack in that cable in the back of his head before he got close to the miners, even if they somehow managed to get the Turk to the mine site.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Not if he's inside Robot River's bodies! Then she can tell the miners not to worry about losing air, since they'll freeze to death first. :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Stark wrote:who cares he'd just die failing to 'beat' a machine for no reason
Screw you buddy, John Henry won.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Not if he's inside Robot River's bodies! Then she can tell the miners not to worry about losing air, since they'll freeze to death first. :P
Don't be daft Shroom, that's only IN SPAACE. They'll likely die of asphyxiation from all the methane and CO released as he gets closer to digging them out.