The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

:-D Nale maybe the de jure Leader of the Guild. But dammed if he's actually in control of it. He's getting more and more like Roy and the Order.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Tarquin just gets more and more awesome, first with the mask gag, now by talking down Malack.

If Nale were smarter/less ego driven, he'd be taking notes.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Crazedwraith wrote::-D Nale maybe the de jure Leader of the Guild. But dammed if he's actually in control of it. He's getting more and more like Roy and the Order.
Not really. Roy can't control the Order in terms of the little stuff, but they take his orders in a fight without hesitating. And when he says "we're going to do X," they usually do X like he says- except for comic effect, which you have to allow for in this comic.

Nale isn't even managing that with the Linear Guild: his characters ignore him tactically, if they think it appropriate. Because he's basically got zero authority over Tarquin and Malack- less than zero, in Malack's case, and even Tarquin is blatantly only listening to Nale because he feels like it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

This comic is now "Tarquin and Friends, with special guest stars Redcloak and Xykon." And I'm fine with that. :D
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

The nope gag was a good one. Nice little poke at the end about people being reasonable.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

855 up; "And They Got Extra Credit For It, Too".
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Can't they send a sending to V and realizes he's probably unconcious or dead? The wizard being missing in an high level encounter is kinda a bad thing. If you were playing as Roy what would you do?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Blayne wrote:Can't they send a sending to V and realizes he's probably unconcious or dead? The wizard being missing in an high level encounter is kinda a bad thing. If you were playing as Roy what would you do?
Actually... pretty much the same thing.

If I were being herded into an unknown dungeon by powerful villain characters with my wizard missing, I couldn't gamble on being able to pass through whatever traps or monsters are there fast enough to avoid being caught up. So find an advantageous site and ambush them is going to be the best option.

Question is, do Tarquin and Malack (being far more experienced adventurers than the Order or Guild) know that?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Lord of the Abyss wrote:855 up; "And They Got Extra Credit For It, Too".
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Actual link to OOTS #855.
:oops: Sorry about that.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ahriman238 wrote:
Blayne wrote:Can't they send a sending to V and realizes he's probably unconcious or dead? The wizard being missing in an high level encounter is kinda a bad thing. If you were playing as Roy what would you do?
Actually... pretty much the same thing.

If I were being herded into an unknown dungeon by powerful villain characters with my wizard missing, I couldn't gamble on being able to pass through whatever traps or monsters are there fast enough to avoid being caught up. So find an advantageous site and ambush them is going to be the best option.

Question is, do Tarquin and Malack (being far more experienced adventurers than the Order or Guild) know that?
They don't know V is out of commission.

EDIT: Though they can make a pretty good guess...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Not really what I meant. Yes, they can probably figure the Wizard isn't throwing around fireballs and lightning pretty quick. The question is, will Tarquin and Malack follow the same train of thought and decide that the Order's best play is to turn and ambush their pursuers.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

And here's 856.

That Imp is quite amused. And for good reason.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Oh man, Imp is loving it.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Why not? He's the only one besides V, Blackwing and the Fiends who gets the joke. V has already done a lot to sabotage the Order's quest to defend the Gates, and the fiends haven't even collected on their bargain yet.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

857 Up!

Why are the undead Drakentooths repeating words?
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Spekio wrote:857 Up!

Why are the undead Drakentooths repeating words?
Something to do with how Malack pulled them up, I suppose. They were doing it earlier as well.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Expeditious Retreat, indeed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

New one up!

Wasn't that gag in the Avengers? Perhaps Tarquin has a level of monk, I don't remember anyone else being able to catch arrows.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

It's a matter of the having the right feat. He could also have an obscure magic item that allows him to do so.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ahriman238 wrote:New one up!

Wasn't that gag in the Avengers? Perhaps Tarquin has a level of monk, I don't remember anyone else being able to catch arrows.
Yes it was. I expect Burlew had this gag in mind long before he saw it though.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

or being old school enough T. probably has Gloves of Missile Snaring....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Arrow Snatching is a feat. Monks just have an easier time getting it. Anyone can qualify, if they're willing to spend the feats to do so.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:or being old school enough T. probably has Gloves of Missile Snaring....
Actually, 2nd edition 'advanced' Dungeons and Dragons allowed arrow-catching with the use of the JUGGLING nonweapon proficiency.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage