The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Serafina »

PLEASE let this be an epic fight - Elan needs more of those, and his last one was brilliant!
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Serafina wrote:PLEASE let this be an epic fight - Elan needs more of those, and his last one was brilliant!
Considering last time they fought Tarquin held off Elan with a single finger... Perhaps not.

I think I prefer either of Elan's epic confrontations with Nale to this thing with his father. Durkon's right, these storylines always drag on too long.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Bedlam wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:I have a feeling Elan is going to lose this battle rather badly. His father has years of experience behind him... and is probably not above calling in guards to handle his 'unruly son'.
However, remember that this is an RPG universe, Tarquin's level is dependent on his sons level in the same way that Crystal will level up whenever Hayley does. It comes down to have big a nemesis the father is suposed to be to the Son. Unless Tarquin's a PC as he was part of another adventuring group, then all bets are off.
No, Elan's Nemesis is Nale, so that's right out.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Werrf
Youngling

Post by Werrf »

Also, only two strips to go before Durkon's entry papers expire (he said "thirty strips" in 732). Can we wrap up this storyline in two strips? Seems unlikely...
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

I believe it meant 30 strips beginning 733... but hey, Durkon is a guest for the de facto second-in-comand, so no, it won't resolve.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Now, would Elan have a better chance on taking his Dad one on one for any bonuses because of any modifiers due to quips, drama, charisma, etc.? After all, if its a duel between a PC and his father, then depending on the GM, it calls for some rule bending in order to have the fight go well. Either that, or Turquin just brushes Elan aside and does something else.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Odds are, Tarquin is still higher level then Elan.

Odds are, he and his priest friend would be a match for the OOTS.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Werrf
Youngling

Post by Werrf »

FaxModem1 wrote:Either that, or Turquin just brushes Elan aside and does something else.
Unlikely. He's demonstrated far too keen an understanding of the rules of drama to even try something like that, he has to know that brushing aside a protagonist is a one-way trip to defeat city.

I'm wondering, based on the Ominous Foreshadowing in 751, whether he's planning to lose the fight to get Elan set up as the Empire's next figurehead. The Empress's catering budget must be breaking the bank by now.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Fast update! #761 up; "Advanced (S)wordplay"
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ah man. Tarqin has the same prestige class from obscure third party source books?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Lonestar wrote:Ah man. Tarqin has the same prestige class from obscure third party source books?
Or he just likes puns.
Come on - could YOU fight someone who throws SO....MANY.....PUNS! at you?
Elan can probably only do it because he is a bard :wink:
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Every fiber of my being is calling to re-install "The Curse of Monkey Island".
Insult Swordfighting much? :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

I remember when the Dashing Swordsman first showed up, and Burlew said the paralels to CoTMI were unintentional. I still don' t believe it.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Did he just own Elan using a Dagger?

A DAGGER?

By the Deities themselves, that is bad-ass.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Looks to me like Tarquin is a fighter (at least mostly), but he's a Dexterity/Intelligence build instead of a Strength build. Feats like Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise, and Improved Disarm. I suspect his use of puns is more to show off, be dramatically appropriate, and obey the "rule of funny" than to show that he has the Dashing Swordsman prestige class himself.

He could be multi-classed of course, but Bard seems unlikely as a second core class, since he taught Nale that "bards are underpowered". On the other hand, he may have had a change of heart since then, now that he prefers manipulating governments to straight-up conquest.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ted C wrote:Looks to me like Tarquin is a fighter (at least mostly), but he's a Dexterity/Intelligence build instead of a Strength build. Feats like Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise, and Improved Disarm. I suspect his use of puns is more to show off, be dramatically appropriate, and obey the "rule of funny" than to show that he has the Dashing Swordsman prestige class himself.

He could be multi-classed of course, but Bard seems unlikely as a second core class, since he taught Nale that "bards are underpowered". On the other hand, he may have had a change of heart since then, now that he prefers manipulating governments to straight-up conquest.
I'm thinking he's probably a Fighter/Rogue/Blackguard combo

Possibly with levels of ex-Paladin.

Nothing changes a marriage like your Paladin husband becoming a Blackguard!

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Oddly enough, I find myself still hoping that they don't wind up fighting the priest whose name currently escapes me. I like the idea of Durkon having a friend and colleague.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Molyneux wrote:Oddly enough, I find myself still hoping that they don't wind up fighting the priest whose name currently escapes me. I like the idea of Durkon having a friend and colleague.
Malack. And I agree.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

[url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0762.html]

To paraphrase Miko. Tarquin's evil not stupid.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

OK I take back everthing I said about him being another "obviously evil villian"
Having someone "evil" who is still smart enough to see the big picture like that is immensly refreshing!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:OK I take back everthing I said about him being another "obviously evil villian"
Having someone "evil" who is still smart enough to see the big picture like that is immensly refreshing!
That's...indeed refreshing, but I find it quite puzzling that he can be that intelligent and capable of enlightened self-interest where his son is concerned while still having absolutely no regard for the well-being of his subjects.

Also, "sole remaining son"? This may lead to bad places.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, what exactly is a Ring of Regeneration?

Also, good on Tarquin for recognizing that the world comes before alignment class, something other characters don't realize.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

A Ring of Regeneration is exactly what you'd think based on the name. Lets you heal at an accelerated rate and even allows for the regeneration of lost limbs. A handy ring indeed.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:A Ring of Regeneration is exactly what you'd think based on the name. Lets you heal at an accelerated rate and even allows for the regeneration of lost limbs. A handy ring indeed.
From the AD&D 2nd edition "Complete Book of Elves" (TSR #2131 PHBR8 p42), it is great for revenge as well. Essentially a dwarf killed the father to an elven family. The kids were away when it happened and came back later. They swore to develop the necessary skills and find the dwarf that did it. Several decades later, they re-met, tracked down the dwarf, and kidnapped the retired adventurer.

They cut limbs off him, one every couple years, and leave them on the doorstep of the house. So far they have left seventeen arms and eleven legs.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Tarquin is my new hero. Not "Stupid Evil" at all.