The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Crazedwraith »

Tarquin continues to out awesome everyone.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Crazedwraith wrote:763

Tarquin continues to out awesome everyone.
Indeed, the villain is always cooler. It reminds me of a D&D book that I can't find on amazon, only on Ebay. The tagline reads: "While heroes are busy dreaming, we're conquering nations". Sounds like pure win.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Interestingly why he'd want Elan to succeed him. His plan falls flat if a more ruthless progeny takes over and makes an even larger legend that overshadows Tarquin's.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Ghost Rider wrote:Interestingly why he'd want Elan to succeed him. His plan falls flat if a more ruthless progeny takes over and makes an even larger legend that overshadows Tarquin's.
Or takes over and screws it up. Tarquin doesn't seem terribly impressed with Nale's ability to pull off organized evil successfully. It would be awfully embarassing for Tarquin if he succeeded in his evil schemes only to have his inept kid take over and screw it up for him, whether by violent revolution or simple inheritance.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

This is the greatest character ever. I wonder how long Rich has had him in mind.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Tarquin is awesome, although, now I can see him in an evil vs evil scenario against Xykon. These kind of things happen to make the villain seem mroe threatening and show that he means business.

Did the Dragon queen collide with the castle?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

And wouldn't getting overthrown suit Tarquin even better? He rules for 20 or 30 years, then is killed by his son who rules the lands not as a tyrant, but as a benevolent ruler beloved by the people. That would give him absolutely EVERYTHING he wants.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:And wouldn't getting overthrown suit Tarquin even better? He rules for 20 or 30 years, then is killed by his son who rules the lands not as a tyrant, but as a benevolent ruler beloved by the people. That would give him absolutely EVERYTHING he wants.
Everything, including a Legend as the Evil Ruler of the lands in every song about the hero's deeds.

no wonder Elan ran away in distress.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

FaxModem1 wrote:Tarquin is awesome, although, now I can see him in an evil vs evil scenario against Xykon. These kind of things happen to make the villain seem mroe threatening and show that he means business.

Did the Dragon queen collide with the castle?
I think she's sitting on the roof and that's why the wall is cracking.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

I'm...really not liking Tarquin as much as I did before, actually.
Evil for the sake of being known as an evil empire? It's just...petty. He appears to have the skills to be a Vetinari, but he's choosing to be a Skeletor instead.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Molyneux wrote:I'm...really not liking Tarquin as much as I did before, actually.
Evil for the sake of being known as an evil empire? It's just...petty. He appears to have the skills to be a Vetinari, but he's choosing to be a Skeletor instead.
Personally, I see it more as evil for the sake of, as he puts it, "living like a god." He just considers being infamous after his death to be a bonus. Wealth, power, and eternal fame (or at least infamy) -- as well as the possibility of inspiring other conquerors to follow in his footsteps. What self-respecting villain would pass up such an opportunity?

For that matter, I'm sure many real-world conquerors who never considered themselves villains like Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar were pretty much motivated by the same things. Tarquin just doesn't offer excuses like the "will of the Gods" or the "glory of Rome" or "bringing civilization to the savages."
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Actually, Tarquin did say that one ruler for the contient would be better for the citizens. He's just not claiming that as his motivation.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Yeah. He does indeed believe that his scheme will be better for everyone living on the continent, and there's even some reasonable logic behind that belief. It's just that this is completely incidental to his plan to live in luxury and be remembered as a legend.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

More albino Lizardman cleric.

They gotta keep this guy. Or at least give him an awesome exit.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Clever lampshading there.

'No one wants to hear the same thing twice.'
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

FaxModem1 wrote:Clever lampshading there.

'No one wants to hear the same thing twice.'
Oh man, I can't believe I had to read this to get the joke with that.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Carinthium
BANNED

Post by Carinthium »

What was the joke?
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Carinthium wrote:What was the joke?
Spoiler
We didn't actually hear what Elan was saying to Haley in the background; but since we'd already heard it all before we didn't miss anything.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Carinthium wrote:What was the joke?
Elan is explaining everything that happened to Haley in the background. No speech is shown.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Crazedwraith wrote:More albino Lizardman cleric.

They gotta keep this guy. Or at least give him an awesome exit.
I quite agree. He may be evil, but that doesn't mean he's not a great character - and I still think he can be a great friend to Durkon, and a doorway to further character development.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

765 up!

Ha! It took me a little to get "three fingered discount".
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Is it beacuse they are reptiles?
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

or stick people with only three digits :D
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Sinewmire wrote:
or stick people with only three digits :D
Bingo! She's even got one hand held out as she runs while saying that.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Oh. I feel stupid now.