Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt..... (NSFW)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Re: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt..... (NSFW)

Post by Shinova »

The industry's reliance on otaku who live and breathe moeblobbery is one reason. Hence the downslide in quantity of shows that can appeal to mainstream audiences in favor of more K-On or Endless Eight.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Majin Gojira wrote:Also, do remember, to the Japanse, Christianity is effectively Voodoo as seen by Hollywood. In japan, you're more likely to see a vampire wear a cross than be repelled by it.
Hmm.

Yeah, take Le Chevalier D'Eon -- a kick-ass series, blending historical fiction with mysticism and Christian elements. But over here, there's no way in hell it would have ever gone off the ground.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Swindle1984 wrote:
Zixinus wrote:Well, for one, the Japenese really need to be told: an upside-down cross represents satanism!
To paraphrase Inigo Montoya: "I do not think that means what you think it means."

It's the Cross of St. Peter and has been for centuries. If satanists adopted it as some sort of anti-cross, then that's just more hilarious ignorance than they already typically display.
Indeed, in the case of the Cross of Saint Peter it is actually more sacred then the right side up version of the cross. And for anyone claiming that the satanists use an upside down crucifix, what do you think the Cross of Saint Peter is? You see Peter was executed by crucifixion but insisted they he be hung upside down so he wouldn't be executed the same as Jesus was(had the advantage of dying faster too).

Satanists are indeed hacks who made many of there supposed symbols not understanding what many of them actually mean.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Isolder74 wrote:Indeed, in the case of the Cross of Saint Peter it is actually more sacred then the right side up version of the cross. And for anyone claiming that the satanists use an upside down crucifix, what do you think the Cross of Saint Peter is? You see Peter was executed by crucifixion but insisted they he be hung upside down so he wouldn't be executed the same as Jesus was(had the advantage of dying faster too).

Satanists are indeed hacks who made many of there supposed symbols not understanding what many of them actually mean.
The cross predates Christianity by ages, so that means all Christians are hacks, who made many of their supposed symbols not understanding what many of them "actually mean". Of course, I love the idea that symbols apparently now have some innate meaning and are not merely a shared interpretation of a given squiggle.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

So. Episode 3. Wow. The second half was basically one drawn out semen joke; I'm pretty sure that was a Watchmen reference I spotted, too.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What I find actually more disturbing is that Garterbelt seemed so eager to take Geek Boy away...
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

JME2 wrote:See, this is why I stopped watching Gainax productions after EVA -- with Nadia being the one exception.
...but Nadia was made like five years before Evangelion. What?
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:
JME2 wrote:See, this is why I stopped watching Gainax productions after EVA -- with Nadia being the one exception.
...but Nadia was made like five years before Evangelion. What?
I saw EVA in 1999 when it premiered on KTEH here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I didn't see Nadia until 2004.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

The only Gainax production I found entertaining after the whole Eva thing was Gurren Lagann, FLCL was just too pointless random for my taste...
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I thought pointless and random was the purpose of FLCL, ok and the ongoing "joke" of what the fuck the title was...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Gainax DID make Gunbuster as well, some of thier best work IMHO
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I thought pointless and random was the purpose of FLCL, ok and the ongoing "joke" of what the fuck the title was...
I thought it was about a transition period in a young boys life as he comes into adolescence.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Just saw the first part of the fourth episode. It was hilarious. Seriously, I don't think I saw something as stomach-convulsing as this since Flying Circus.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Quick question: Panty was whining about foreskin and how Brief must have it, he must be such a loser. Erm, why? How did Japan get into the whole fetish of cutting boy's penis's off?

Oh, and Garterbelt is getting more scary every time he goes near boys...
Credo!
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

To my knowledge Japan's tradition of circumcision is independent of the west's, and they do not practice routine infant circumcision, instead usually having it done in adolescence or adulthood.
「かかっ―」
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zixinus wrote:Quick question: Panty was whining about foreskin and how Brief must have it, he must be such a loser. Erm, why? How did Japan get into the whole fetish of cutting boy's penis's off?

I'm more concerned that they seem to be getting plot devices from Shroomy, with the whole cream that's being fired from the multiple breasts of an evil spirit.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

They're not bleeding.

Still, great minds think alike.
Credo!
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Zixinus wrote:Quick question: Panty was whining about foreskin and how Brief must have it, he must be such a loser. Erm, why? How did Japan get into the whole fetish of cutting boy's penis's off?

The exact quote is "foreskin still attached", which I had assumed was just a way of saying "hasn't finished puberty". That said, it could mean "still has the foreskin"; from what I've read, circumcision in Japan is rare (<1%) but is recently fashionable to have it done to yourself in the late teen years.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:The exact quote is "foreskin still attached", which I had assumed was just a way of saying "hasn't finished puberty". That said, it could mean "still has the foreskin"; from what I've read, circumcision in Japan is rare (<1%) but is recently fashionable to have it done to yourself in the late teen years.
They cut people's foreskins' off... out of fashion?

I hope they do it with rusty and blunt scissors at least...
Credo!
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Blame the current Japanese obsession with Phimosis and what they call "false phimosis".
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

This episode actually managed to top over the weirdness, especially with the change of art stlyle. It was pretty glaring too.
Credo!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zixinus wrote:This episode actually managed to top over the weirdness, especially with the change of art stlyle. It was pretty glaring too.
I think they're shooting for making each episode themed around a bodily fluid. They're going to run out sooner or later.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

By the way, what's the deal with the turtle? Why was it a bad gift?
Credo!
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

The Demon Sisters have arrived and gives Panty & Stocking a run for their money.... :D

My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Am I the only one that actually found them to be a bit more likable than the two main characters? After all, aside the business in the basement (and the "loser class" thing, although I suspect that may not be their doing) all they did is to get everyone uniforms and make people eat healthy stuff. When challenged, their request was a non-violent confrontation.

Still, at least we see the story progressing.
Credo!