Nolan's Superman Has Director and Script

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Nolan's Superman Has Director and Script

Post by Jim Raynor »

It's Zack Snyder, and the main villain is rumored to be General Zod.

Link
Zack Snyder (Watchmen, 300) has been officially confirmed as the director of the upcoming Superman reboot, reports Heat Vision.

Snyder's name recently appeared as a rumored candidate for the position and one of several directors on the Warner Bros. short list. Snyder himself revealed in 2008 that he was originally in line to direct Superman Returns, but that he was not interested in taking the job.

"They asked me to direct a Superman movie, and I said no," was Snyder's response more than two years ago, "He's a tricky one nowadays, isn't he? He's the king daddy of all comic-book heroes, but I'm just not sure how you sell that kind of earnestness to a sophisticated audience anymore."

Whether it is Snyder's view of the project or the new tone itself that has changed remains to be seen, but what is known is that the film will move forward with a script from David Goyer and Jonathan Nolan. Christopher Nolan will "godfather" the production, aiming for a late 2012 release.

Snyder's Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is currently playing in theaters and his next film, Sucker Punch, opens March 25th.

UPDATE: Deadline has just spoken with Snyder, who both confirmed his involvement and made the following statement:

"I've been a big fan of the character for a long time, he's definitely the king of all superheroes, he's the one. It's early yet, but I can tell you that what David [Goyer] and Chris [Nolan] have done with the story so far definitely has given me a great insight into a way to make him feel modern. I've always felt he was kind of awesome. I'll finish 'Sucker Punch' and get right at it."

UPDATE #2: Heat Vision is reporting that General Zod is rumored to the film's main villain. Zod was played by Terrence Stamp in Superman and Superman II.
He was quite frankly one of the last guys I thought they'd pick. I've disliked Snyder's frequent use of slow motion in both 300 and Watchmen. And his stuff has been far darker than what Superman needs. But I didn't know he did that current kids movie with the owls, so maybe he can handle lighter fare. Nolan has been unbelievably successful over the last few years, so I guess we should trust in his decision?
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Rye
To Mega Therion

Re: Nolan's Superman Has Director and Script

Post by Rye »

Nolan hasn't fucked up yet, and his brother works does good screenplays. I trust him.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I like the idea. Snyder is very much an action director, so this pick seems to indicate that someone's finally caught on that Superman can be applied to some really awesome fight scenes.
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Are they bringing back any of the cast from Returns, or is this a from the ground up reboot? Because I certainly didn't care much for some of the casting choices from Returns.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I'm actually looking forward to this, as long as they don't change Supes into an asshole or emo.

And Kevin Spacey was kinda cool as Lex Luthor, I thought.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

It's a full reboot, although I'm not sure if they'll do the origin (I think they should but who knows). From what I hear the new script's influenced by The Man of Steel reboot in the comics during the 1980s. Superman Returns was basically Singer's semi-sequel to Richard Donner's movies, which preceded that. Brandon Routh is gone. His contract expired a while back without being renewed.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Srelex wrote:I'm actually looking forward to this, as long as they don't change Supes into an asshole or emo.

And Kevin Spacey was kinda cool as Lex Luthor, I thought.
I thought he was an awesome Lex, despite the stupid real estate conman direction that they went with. Despite being a newcomer at the time (and not having done anything of note since), Routh really fit his role. I actually think that Returns is very underrated despite its flaws. It's too bad, because they had a great cast (outside of Kate Bosworth) and a talented director, but that director was granted too much freedom to do whatever he wanted. If some big shot at the WB had just vetoed some of Singer's questionable ideas, such as semi-sequeling Donner's movies, giving Lois a superpowered 5 year old, and not giving Superman a single fist fight, the movie could've been huge.

Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Jim Raynor wrote:It's a full reboot, although I'm not sure if they'll do the origin (I think they should but who knows). From what I hear the new script's influenced by The Man of Steel reboot in the comics during the 1980s. Superman Returns was basically Singer's semi-sequel to Richard Donner's movies, which preceded that. Brandon Routh is gone. His contract expired a while back without being renewed.
They can pull a 'The Incredible Hulk'.

I honestly have no idea what to think of this seeings how I just don't see Superman coming from anything of these talents, I suppose I'll just wait for a trailer. I laughed my ass off at the idea of Transformers (I laughed even harder when I saw the cast), but it ended up working, for at least one movie.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Last thing I heard was that they're rushing this out to avoid possible lawsuits from the character's creators' heirs...and that it's supposed to have Clark traveling the world as a reporter, trying to decide whether or not to become Superman in the first place.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

On the one hand, it can't be much worse than Superman Returns . . . such a boring movie. On the other hand I really hope it's not an origin story. Doing a Superman origin movie is like beating a dead horse by now.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

I've always said just do some sort of origins montage during the beginning credits ala Superman II. Create a few scenes from scratch and/or crib some scenes from the other movies/TV shows which could also serve as kind of homage.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Cautiously optimistic about this.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

General Zod wrote:On the one hand, it can't be much worse than Superman Returns . . . such a boring movie.
There's plenty worse than Returns. Superman IV, anybody?
I do agree Superman Returns wasn't a particularly good movie, and a pretty sorry excuse for a Superman movie. Superman The Movie was saddled with having to tell the origin story, introducing Lex Luthor and still managed to have lots more Superman action than Returns did.
I'm not watching a Superman movie to see how Clark Kent deals with Lois Lane having moved on and married somebody else and having a kid. I'm watching it to see Kal-El do unbelievable things.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Batman wrote:
General Zod wrote:On the one hand, it can't be much worse than Superman Returns . . . such a boring movie.
There's plenty worse than Returns. Superman IV, anybody?
I do agree Superman Returns wasn't a particularly good movie, and a pretty sorry excuse for a Superman movie. Superman The Movie was saddled with having to tell the origin story, introducing Lex Luthor and still managed to have lots more Superman action than Returns did.
I'm not watching a Superman movie to see how Clark Kent deals with Lois Lane having moved on and married somebody else and having a kid. I'm watching it to see Kal-El do unbelievable things.
Yeah, turning Superman into a stalker and making him a father was a not a great move. There are two good things that did come out of that movie though, Spacey as Lex and Routh was a pretty good Superman. Before the movie came out, I thought Routh was a terrible choice for Superman, and he pleasantly surprised me and did a much better job than I expected (but I guess it was not real hard to do as my expectations were low).
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

How is anyone else supposed to live up to the scenery-chewing insanity of Terrance Stamp's Zod? Nonetheless, I approve this idea. We need Superman in a good modern super fight.

He's probably too old now, but for my money the best Superman ever was... Dean Cain. Yes for real, I really mean that. He was cool.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

EW's been saying that Nolan and Snyder have begun looking for the next actor to portray Superman and one of their criteria is that the actor has to be between 28 and 32 years of age.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

This has promise but please god, no origin story. I actually enjoyed how they handled it in Returns with a very good flashback scene with Clark as a kid. We all know the damn origin story by now and I don't know if you can beat, or should even try to beat, Marlon Brando as JorEl and the whole Krypton sequence in Superman the Movie.

Superman should be in Media Res, get on with the story and this time more action. I go to see Superman movie for heroic feats of strength not fucking stalker Superman or him looking all dooey eyed at Lois wondering why she's fucking Cyclops instead of him. And for me the single most creepy moment was his listening in on the family in the house. Jesus Superman get out there and stomp villains, go punch a hole in time, do something.

I am holding out hope that some of the magic of the new Batman rubs off on this movie. My main complaint about the director is his sense of pacing. Watchmen was wretchedly slow and 300 before we get to the actual battle is also pretty damn slow. Superman should not be paced that way.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Stravo wrote:This has promise but please god, no origin story. I actually enjoyed how they handled it in Returns with a very good flashback scene with Clark as a kid. We all know the damn origin story by now and I don't know if you can beat, or should even try to beat, Marlon Brando as JorEl and the whole Krypton sequence in Superman the Movie.
The recent Superman: Secret Origin mini-series made a similiar move. It deliberately skipped over Krypton's destruction and started with a young Clark in Smallville who was mystified by his abilities until his parents told him. Krypton was only seen in holographic recordings included in the rocket, ala the STAS pilot.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I actually think that the lack of a proper origin story was one of the mistakes of Superman Returns. We may have seen the origin numerous times, but kids haven't. People under 20 haven't seen the Donner films. Bruce Timm's animated series from the mid-late 90s is before the time of teenagers today. Smallville is old too by now, and is watched by the CW's tiny audience. Imagine being a kid in 2006 waiting to see your first Superman movie. Then the movie starts with some boring text telling you that you already missed everything that made him Superman. Superman Returns was a movie made for the shrinking demographic of Donner fans. That was no way to relaunch a blockbuster franchise.

I think Batman Begins should be the model they use for the reboot. That movie is proof that an old origin can be successfully done in a fresh and exciting way.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Snyder fucking nailed it with Watchmen. I don't care what anyone says about that, so I have absolute faith that he will nail Supes. Nolan overseeing the project is just icing on the cake.

However I disagree with his assessment that Supes is a hard sell to today's "sophisticated" audience. Not because this is the same audience that watches 10 different versions of 2 shows or can't get enough America's Top Idol Model Chef, it is because people want to be sold Superman. They want to believe in something good and just and heroic to a fault. They want Superman's earnestness. They want truth, justice and the American way. They want faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

No fucking origin story please. Is there anyone that doesn't know it? If they don't a friend can explain it to them in about 30 seconds.

I think the best way to go is Kingdom Come-ish. Show a Superman that has lost his way, lost his own faith. Show a Superman that has taken on the most insidious human quality: fear. Then show him reclaim his title as Superman and that earnestness and I guarantee that audiences will stand up and cheer.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Havok wrote:Snyder fucking nailed it with Watchmen. I don't care what anyone says about that, so I have absolute faith that he will nail Supes. Nolan overseeing the project is just icing on the cake.

However I disagree with his assessment that Supes is a hard sell to today's "sophisticated" audience. Not because this is the same audience that watches 10 different versions of 2 shows or can't get enough America's Top Idol Model Chef, it is because people want to be sold Superman. They want to believe in something good and just and heroic to a fault. They want Superman's earnestness. They want truth, justice and the American way. They want faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

No fucking origin story please. Is there anyone that doesn't know it? If they don't a friend can explain it to them in about 30 seconds.

I think the best way to go is Kingdom Come-ish. Show a Superman that has lost his way, lost his own faith. Show a Superman that has taken on the most insidious human quality: fear. Then show him reclaim his title as Superman and that earnestness and I guarantee that audiences will stand up and cheer.
I must admit that I would enjoy that - but it would have to handle the initial loss of faith very well, or it'd probably sour me on the movie right there.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Didn't they do that movie already with "HANCOCK" ?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Didn't they do that movie already with "HANCOCK" ?
I can't say, I've never seen it. Heard there was some ludicrously stupid twist where he lost his powers if he ever got near his girlfriend, though.
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

Molyneux wrote:
I can't say, I've never seen it. Heard there was some ludicrously stupid twist where he lost his powers if he ever got near his girlfriend, though.
That's pretty much it. The movie was great up until that dumbass twist. It's like the first and second half are two different films. To it's credit, towards the very end it picks up some of the charm of the first half but doesn't really hold together.

As for Superman, this is excellent news. After seeing the Directors Cut of Watchmen, Tales of the Black Freighter, and the "Under the Hood" special, my fondness of Watchmen grew immensely. Legend of the Guardians proved that the man does excellent action film adaptations. The man can use a camera, and if Nolan can keep him in line script-wise, we should have an excellent Superman film on our hands.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Davis 51 wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
That's pretty much it. The movie was great up until that dumbass twist. It's like the first and second half are two different films. To it's credit, towards the very end it picks up some of the charm of the first half but doesn't really hold together.

As for Superman, this is excellent news. After seeing the Directors Cut of Watchmen, Tales of the Black Freighter, and the "Under the Hood" special, my fondness of Watchmen grew immensely. Legend of the Guardians proved that the man does excellent action film adaptations. The man can use a camera, and if Nolan can keep him in line script-wise, we should have an excellent Superman film on our hands.
I hope so; I'm excited for Green Lantern and hope that will provide the necessary push for this and the Flash film currently in its early stages.