Captain America Filming Pictures (SPOILERS)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Captain America Filming Pictures (SPOILERS)

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Stunt double on a bike, anyway:
Roaring through the English countryside... it's Captain America: Motorbike scenes for comic book film shooting in London

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:08 AM on 9th September 2010

As a comic book star of the Forties of, Captain America was as patriotic emblem for his country, often depicted fighting the Nazi powers of World War II.

But it seems the Captain America in the forthcoming movie based on the iconic cartoon character is going to be bringing his powers to Britain as well.

Today motorbike scenes for Captain America: The First Avenger were being shot in the London countryside.

American actor Chris Evans, who also starred in the Fantastic Four comic book films, is playing the title role in the film.

And today his stunt double was snapped in a leafy London location, dressed in full regalia, riding a US Army Indian motorcycle.

True to the original character, the costume comprised the colours of the American flag, complete with a huge star on the chest, helmet and cape.

There was also a magnificent Forties-style car on set, which was seen being driven through a woodland location, as well as some more futuristic looking motorcycles.

The film started shooting in June, when Tommy Lee Jones was confirmed as playing US Army Colonel Chester Phillips.

Dominic Cooper will also play a role as the younger version of Howard Stark, the character which John Slattery portrayed in Iron Man 2.

One of the first filming locations earlier in the summer was near the University of Manchester in the Northern Quarter, centred around Dale Street, chosen after a search for a location best fitting 1940's Lower East Side Manhattan, New York.

More filming is scheduled there for later this month. But in the meantime production will continue in London, with a number of key landmarks expected to be taken in during filming.

The movie, directed by Joe Johnston and scheduled for release in July next year, will also star Lord of the Rings actor Hugo Weaving as Johann Schmidt / Red Skull, Captain America's nemesis and head of the Nazis' terrorist activities.

The futuristic-looking bikes on set today appeared to be carrying riders bearing the Red Skull symbol as a chase scene was filmed.

Scenes will also be shot in Liverpool in the autumn at locations including the city's Albert Dock. It is being filmed with 2-D cameras, but will be converted into a 3D movie during post production.

Johnston did a one-day test shoot with a 3-D rig as opposed to shooting in 2-D and converting but called it 'a nightmare' due to bulky gear and restricted filmmaking options.

He said he's a firm believer in the conversion approach if done right, telling the Los Angeles Times recently: 'It's a new challenge and it's exciting.'

There appear to be some decidedly non-standard parts on Cap's bike. See if you can spot them!

Note the skull on the bad guy bikes.

3D conversion... hope they do it right. :roll:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Captain America Filming Pictures (SPOILERS)

Post by Vympel »

One of them looks nothing like Chris Evans - the others, I'm not so sure. Currently looks retarded though. As I noted on SB, maybe they plan to enhance it in post.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Vympel wrote:One of them looks nothing like Chris Evans - the others, I'm not so sure. Currently looks retarded though. As I noted on SB, maybe they plan to enhance it in post.
probably a stunt driver lets just hope the difference isn't that obvious in the final film.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

FSTargetDrone wrote: Note the skull on the bad guy bikes.
And on the front of the car. It's the HYDRA logo.
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

Lord Revan wrote:
Vympel wrote:One of them looks nothing like Chris Evans - the others, I'm not so sure. Currently looks retarded though. As I noted on SB, maybe they plan to enhance it in post.
probably a stunt driver lets just hope the difference isn't that obvious in the final film.
Yeah, I've read that it's a stunt driver in a stunt version of the costume, meaning it's probably got extra padding and not as form fitting as the "real" costume meant for extended shots and close-ups. And I'm sure even the stunt shots will look better on real film under proper lighting and after post-production work.

Cautiously optimistic! Love the look of the Nazi bikes and the inclusion of Hydra... Also glad to see the painted-on wings on Cap's helmet. Physical, 3-D wings would've looked odd, but the movie costume felt lacking without the printed option ala the Ultimate version of Cap's costume.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Yes, it's just a stunt double in those pictures. There is no mention of Chris Evans being on that location, at least not in costume.

I'm optimistic that Johnston can get the look right, if nothing else. He (or at least the people he hired for the job) did fine with the pre-WW2 period stuff in The Rocketeer.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Is the entire Cap movie going to take place in the WW2 era, or is he going to get frozen part way through?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Darksider wrote:Is the entire Cap movie going to take place in the WW2 era, or is he going to get frozen part way through?
From what I've heard, the first Captain America film will take place during WW2. They're planning on a second one set in the modern day if the first does well.

Also:
Dominic Cooper will also play a role as the younger version of Howard Stark, the character which John Slattery portrayed in Iron Man 2.
Let's hear it for continuity! :D
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Well, perhaps it could end with Cap awakening in the modern day, or perhaps he makes the transition halfway through, which could happen based on the rumors that I myself have heard.

Anyway, like the pics. Aesthetic's quite nice.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Molyneux wrote:
Darksider wrote:Is the entire Cap movie going to take place in the WW2 era, or is he going to get frozen part way through?
From what I've heard, the first Captain America film will take place during WW2. They're planning on a second one set in the modern day if the first does well.
I thought he was getting thawed out in/for the avengers?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

lance wrote:
Molyneux wrote: From what I've heard, the first Captain America film will take place during WW2. They're planning on a second one set in the modern day if the first does well.
I thought he was getting thawed out in/for the avengers?
I believe that was the outline they are leaning towards. Now whether that happens remains to be seen.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The shield in the above looks different from the one seen in Iron Man 2. I'm not talking about the exposed section of the shield in IM2, but the star sizes are different, as is the width of the red/white/blue areas. Perhaps it is a different shield, or a modification.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

FSTargetDrone wrote:The shield in the above looks different from the one seen in Iron Man 2. I'm not talking about the exposed section of the shield in IM2, but the star sizes are different, as is the width of the red/white/blue areas. Perhaps it is a different shield, or a modification.
I would think that the one in IM2 was a prototype, or similar.

It would explain why it was in a box in Stark's place.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Gandalf wrote:I would think that the one in IM2 was a prototype, or similar.

It would explain why it was in a box in Stark's place.
Certainly possible, though Colson was (momentarily) concerned that Stark had it. He said something like, "Where did you get that?"
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Certainly possible, though Colson was (momentarily) concerned that Stark had it. He said something like, "Where did you get that?"
A prototype of Cap's shield is something that the US government wants sitting around in the home of a drunken billionaire.

From what I recall, didn't it only look like half of the shield was there, exposing the innards of it?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Yeah, there are some pictures of the IM2 shield here.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

My personal theory for Stark's shield - it's a failed attempt on part of Stark Industries to replicate the original, which was lost along with Rogers.

Anyway, I really hate the reaction to these photos. Nobody seems to grasp that a stunt double might need to wear protective padding, and that it's quite likely a wide range shot. No, no, the costume is horrible, the movie is ruined! God damn...
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

So is this version of captain america going to use guns ? Or wear full body armor so tough it can ignore machine gun bullets ? Because otherwise it does not fit in with movie Ironman themes and continuity. Tony Starks combat feats were believable because of the powerful battlesuit he had. If you can fly supersonic, ignore tank shells and have repulsor beam weapons you can definitely do what he did. it is believable. But some guy is a blue costume beating up legions of soldiers is not believable.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

In that picture, he has a holster with a gun in it.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:In that picture, he has a holster with a gun in it.
Yes, his sidearm, the holstered Tommy gun on the bike, plus what I hinted at earlier--the twin "guns" mounted above the front fender of his bike. At least they look like guns, or gun housings (cooling holes, though no actual guns are visible). Whatever they are, they are not standard equipment. :)

The bike also has what appear to be boxes (with toggle switches?) near each end of the handlebars. I can't find pictures of similar bikes with that installed.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Another:

Compared to the shield in Iron Man 2:

Edit: They are clearly different-looking shields.

EDIT:

Cap fans, does his shield ever exhibit visible damage in the comics? Just curious, I don't especially care (looks like the coloring is merely rubbed off from impact hits--the shield itself seems intact).
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Cap fans, does his shield ever exhibit visible damage in the comics? Just curious, I don't especially care (looks like the coloring is merely rubbed off from impact hits--the shield itself seems intact).
Sometimes but rare. They only do it to add drama and impact to a particular fight.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Sarevok wrote:So is this version of captain america going to use guns ? Or wear full body armor so tough it can ignore machine gun bullets ? Because otherwise it does not fit in with movie Ironman themes and continuity. Tony Starks combat feats were believable because of the powerful battlesuit he had. If you can fly supersonic, ignore tank shells and have repulsor beam weapons you can definitely do what he did. it is believable. But some guy is a blue costume beating up legions of soldiers is not believable.
Well, guess what, people beating up way more enemies than they realistically should happens all the time in movies, so I don't see why Captain America couldn't do it.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

A guy in a funny costume beating up infantry does not work anymore in 21st century. A movie is not a cheap 1940s comic book. To take Captain America seriously you need to at least try to make him capable of defeating well armed soldiers.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I think those are flamethrowers on his bike.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!