First Look at Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Re: First Look at Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

Post by Molyneux »

JME2 wrote:
Molyneux wrote:I quite like the idea of the Green Lanterns, but the execution sometimes leaves something to be desired. They're a self-appointed, interstellar police force, with all that entails.
Yeah. Batman will may be my favorite character, but the concept of the Rings is possibly DC's most interesting concept. Its impact, as you pointed out, depends on its execution and I think we're all in agreement how strong the franchise has been for the last few years thanks to Messrs Johns, Gibbons, Tomasi, and company.

On a side note, more pics have been posted, giving us out first looks at Hector Hammond, Amanda Waller, and Abin Sur -- or at least his corpse.
Looking at those screenshots, I can't help but think that Ryan Reynolds would have made for a wonderful Kyle Rayner. As Hal Jordan, though, I'm not really sure...Reynolds is at his best when he can goof off a bit, and Hal always seemed more of a straight man.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Oh my... Ms Waller is in the film? Another DCTV character crossing over. I'm actually looking forward to see if she can carry the presence the cartoon Waller had. We may have hated Amanda at times, but you had to admit she was a great foil for the JLU.

As for Hal Jordon, he did take his job as Green Lantern very seriously. Reynolds may have taken the part just for the chance to be that serious in such an obviously over-the-top fantasy movie. He may get all his 'goof-off' moments out of his system as out-takes.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

LadyTevar wrote:Oh my... Ms Waller is in the film? Another DCTV character crossing over. I'm actually looking forward to see if she can carry the presence the cartoon Waller had. We may have hated Amanda at times, but you had to admit she was a great foil for the JLU.
She showed up in the comics before her presence on TV. She's also on Smallville now. It would have been nice to get CCH Pounder in the role, but I guess she's too busy with Warehouse 13 or something.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Uh...yeah. Hector Hammond. I know they are using big(and only) gun Sinestro. But shoehorning MODOK without chair as a character? Sorry, the look and concept is as dumb as said former, and at least Marvel gave their dumbass creation blaster bolts.

As for the rest, meh. Nothing exciting so I'll wait for a trailer because the GL costume is the only real hyped thing, and as I said...it's ribbed for her pleasure.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

LadyTevar wrote:Oh my... Ms Waller is in the film? Another DCTV character crossing over. I'm actually looking forward to see if she can carry the presence the cartoon Waller had. We may have hated Amanda at times, but you had to admit she was a great foil for the JLU.
Hey now, Amanda Waller has been around since the eighties. Look up Suicide Squad - or even better, read it.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ghost Rider wrote:Uh...yeah. Hector Hammond. I know they are using big(and only) gun Sinestro. But shoehorning MODOK without chair as a character? Sorry, the look and concept is as dumb as said former, and at least Marvel gave their dumbass creation blaster bolts.
Hammond's an odd choice, I agree.

Their biggest problem is that their choices for antagonists are limited because they're setting up Hal's origin in this film. Sinestro can't be used as the antagonist yet because it's crucial to establish him as one of the good guys before his fall from grace. Carol can't become a Star Sapphire at this point because the Zamarons haven't been encountered. Atrocitus and Larfleeze are too recent and their involvement too heavily dependent on the War of Light and the emotional spectrum stories; same with Nekron and Black Hand to an extent.

Anyway, I'd have personally gone with the Manhunters, but I felt the same way about using Scarecrow for Batman Begins and that turned out fairly well. Again, I'm more concerned about how the hell they're going to portray...Spoiler
Parallax.
A lot will depend on how Hammond is used, if they're going for a more traditional take on the character or the recent, creepy fanboy portrayal that's been used since "No Fear".
Bright wrote:
Hey now, Amanda Waller has been around since the eighties. Look up Suicide Squad - or even better, read it.
Yes, thank you John Ostrander for giving us one of DC's best supporting characters. And it's too bad CCH Pounder won't be reprising the role; her casting as Waller was another of Andrea Romano's best contributions to the DCAU.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Looks like they're trying to do what Iron Man II did for the DC Universe...

Without testing the water first.

To me, that is not a good sign.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

This picture of Hammond conveniently obscures his head, but it seems to me that it won't be so large that it would come across as totally laughable. A mutated freak with telepathy and telekinesis could work decently as a villain, especially if they have him gruesomely force people to commit suicide as he's done recently.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bright wrote:This picture of Hammond conveniently obscures his head, but it seems to me that it won't be so large that it would come across as totally laughable. A mutated freak with telepathy and telekinesis could work decently as a villain, especially if they have him gruesomely force people to commit suicide as he's done recently.
Yeah, we don't want him ending up like the Leader.

Marc Guggenheim said they were taking cues from Green Lantern: Secret Origin, so I've got a feeling that you're right about how they'll show Hammond.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Bright wrote:This picture of Hammond conveniently obscures his head, but it seems to me that it won't be so large that it would come across as totally laughable. A mutated freak with telepathy and telekinesis could work decently as a villain, especially if they have him gruesomely force people to commit suicide as he's done recently.
Well, it's still pretty big. He's still got quite a noggin on him. Spoiler picture I guess.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

neoolong wrote:
Well, it's still pretty big. He's still got quite a noggin on him. Spoiler picture I guess.
Oh yeah, damn, I forgot all about that picture. Though I'm more put off that he looks like some kind of inbred hick than because of the large head.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

neoolong wrote:
That's...disturbing. Looks a bit like the Nihilanth to me.
I do have high hopes for this - I've just been burned before.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Why couldn't they just go with the Justice League (cartoon) green lantern suit? But yeah ... I did not like what I saw.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Whiplash wrote:Why couldn't they just go with the Justice League (cartoon) green lantern suit? But yeah ... I did not like what I saw.
John Stewart's uniform is my favorite of the Lantern uniforms; the variant form First Flight wasn't bad either. Again, I need a better look at the full costume in action.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

JME2 wrote:the variant form First Flight wasn't bad either.

First Flight uniforms were my absolute favorite. They actually looked like a uniform for an inter galactic police force, hard plates for armor on the chest and bracers that looked solid.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Well of course the Green Lantern movie should star Kyle Rayner, in my completely unbiased opinion. :P
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

GuppyShark wrote:Well of course the Green Lantern movie should star Kyle Rayner, in my completely unbiased opinion. :P
Heh. :lol:
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

In all seriousness though Kyle would be better than Hal for the following reasons:

Everyman origin story, easier for an audience to relate to him than a fearless test pilot.
Discovers the Corps as he goes instead of having an infodump montage from Sinestro.
Isn't vulnerable to the colour yellow.
Artistic ability means the SFX for his constructs can be spectacular.
Hal Jordan is made of cardboard.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

GuppyShark wrote:In all seriousness though Kyle would be better than Hal for the following reasons:

*snip*
ROFLMAO! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The audience seems to relate to MY origin story just fine :D
Good points about the infodump and the FX potential though. Not that there was ever much of a question whom they'd choose-for too many of the fans Hal Jordan is THE Green Lantern.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Batman wrote:The audience seems to relate to MY origin story just fine :D
Good points about the infodump and the FX potential though. Not that there was ever much of a question whom they'd choose-for too many of the fans Hal Jordan is THE Green Lantern.
Bah. I'm still waiting on an Alan Scott movie for the REAL Green Lantern.
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

GuppyShark wrote:In all seriousness though Kyle would be better than Hal for the following reasons:

Everyman origin story, easier for an audience to relate to him than a fearless test pilot.
Discovers the Corps as he goes instead of having an infodump montage from Sinestro.
Isn't vulnerable to the colour yellow.
Artistic ability means the SFX for his constructs can be spectacular.
The more modern incarnation of Hal Jordan is definitely dull, but I just read some of the older Hal Jordan stuff and it's hilarious. He spends most of his time trying to have sex with Carol Ferris while at the same time cock blocking himself as Green Lantern.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Molyneux wrote:
Batman wrote:The audience seems to relate to MY origin story just fine :D
Bah. I'm still waiting on an Alan Scott movie for the REAL Green Lantern.
I'm still hoping for a shout out or acknowledgment of Alan in the film.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

New character posters have been uploaded, giving us our first real look at Sinestro and a better look at Hammond. Not bad.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-I see a partial face of Sinestro and not much else on that link? (Other than the inevitable promo picture stuff I mean. No sign of Hammond.)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'