First Look at Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: First Look at Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

Post by JME2 »

Molyneux wrote:
JME2 wrote:Nathan Fillion would have been my first choice.
I believe a good fraction of the comic-book-reading populace agrees with you.
Maybe we'll get to see him show up as Hal's father in a flashback, or something?

Ryan Reynolds would really make a better Kyle or Guy to my mind, but I'm hopeful for this film.
If Dennis Leary were younger, he'd make a great Guy.

Incidentally, Hugo Weaving was my first choice for Sinestro. He could have worked, especially if they used Johns' revamp of the character. I'm curious to see how Mark Strong will do.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I'm mostly worried that it's going to resemble Iron Man in style but i'm optimistic upon seeing Kilowog and I don't really mind the look of the costume.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

http://screenrant.com/green-lantern-mov ... 3/?_r=true

Frame by frame shot of the transformation along with some commentary by the author. The first post in the comments section made me laugh.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well that should answer how the mask manages to stay on if nothing else :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:I'm mostly worried that it's going to resemble Iron Man in style but i'm optimistic upon seeing Kilowog and I don't really mind the look of the costume.
Killwog looks nice; I wonder who will be voicing him.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Late to the party on the trailer but...

That looks great. GR is right, this needs to be swinging dick Hal. The Hal that Batman chastises and hates and calls the 'green retard' from All Star Batman and Robin. NOT boring 'whaaaaa I killed everyone I'm sooo scared of the yellow monster' Hal from the last 15 years.

Reynolds is great as that Hal. If they do try to go the serious route, it may not work with him.

I do hope the effects get cleaned up a bit. They look a bit amateurish for a movie this big and important for DC/WB. Any future chance that the rest of their characters have to get to the big screen hinge on this movie.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Batman wrote:Well that should answer how the mask manages to stay on if nothing else :D
Hell, it was always part of the Ring, unless I'm mistaken. I do know that in the more recent retellings of Hal's origin, the entire costume "overlays" whatever he's wearing at the time, and isn't any kind of cloth - the green is hot, like hand-on-a-lightbulb hot, and the black is cold to the touch. It's all an energy construct.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

No, it's not a thread necro, but we have an interesting update.

DC's released images of statues and busts that will be released with the film. It gives us a closer look at the movie incarnations of Hal and other GL's.

While I'm still not fully sold on the GLC uniforms, I do like what we can see now: They all maintain the general scheme of the GLC, but each one has minute differences.

Tomar Re's has scales and Sinestro's is more authoritarian; it reflects both his classic outfit and the later Sinestro Corps uniform.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I still don't see the point of all that useless surface ribbing on Hal's suit-if it's there to improve the looks, it sure as hell isn't doing its job-but the basic suit layout looks fine. I'll wait and see what it looks like on the Silver Screen.

The lantern, however, just looks fundamentally wrong.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:The lantern, however, just looks fundamentally wrong.
Agreed.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

JME2 wrote:
Batman wrote:The lantern, however, just looks fundamentally wrong.
Agreed.
It looks like they took the standard lantern, melted it a bit, chopped off the reflectors and added a whole lot of pointless ribbing to it.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

It looks more like a lava lamp than a lantern.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Green Lava Lamp?

He is from Earth-LSD, the all hippy Earth. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I don't particularly care if they re-visioned the lantern as a fleshlight as long as the movie is good. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'm not entirely sure I trust people who did radically redesign the Lantern like that for no good reason I can discern to come up with a good movie.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Green Fleshlight?

From Earth-P.

Ok, I'll stop.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'm either missing an in-joke or nobody but me does give a damn about people misspelling flashlight. I suspect the former.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Google fleshlight Bats.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Havok wrote:Google fleshlight Bats.
But don't do it at work. Unless the Batcave is work, in which case, make sure Robin isn't around.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Damian is Richard's responsibility. He brought him into the family business, he deals with any damage to that sorry excuse for a human being that occurs. *googles fleshlights*
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:Damian is Richard's responsibility. He brought him into the family business, he deals with any damage to that sorry excuse for a human being that occurs.
Heh.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who still doesn't like Damian.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Damian was okay when he was Elseworlds. Introducing him into mainstream comics...not so much. But then I think I have aired my disagreements with current DC Comics canon continuity often enough :D
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:Damian was okay when he was Elseworlds. Introducing him into mainstream comics...not so much. But then I think I have aired my disagreements with current DC Comics canon continuity often enough :D
Screw Damian. We have one biological son of Bruce Wayne and his name is Terry McGinnis, thank you very much. :)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

To my knowledge, Terry being a demiclone of me is not so far official DC Comics canon.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Batman wrote:To my knowledge, Terry being a demiclone of me is not so far official DC Comics canon.
To me, at least, that doesn't matter in the slightest.