Riddler Out for Batman 3

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Riddler Out for Batman 3

Post by JME2 »

From Newsarama
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a title.

Christopher Nolan has announced that his third Batman film will be called The Dark Knight Rises, according to an interview with the Los Angeles Times.

“We’ll use many of the same characters as we have all along, and we’ll be introducing some new ones,” Nolan said in the interview, adding that the villain “won’t be the Riddler.” Hmm… curiouser and curiouser, right?

The movie is due out in July 20, 2012, which may put it on the tail end of the Avengers film, due out on May 4 of the same year.
Interesting.

On one hand, it would have been a challenge to adapt the Riddler to the Nolan-verse. Their best shot would have been to take a page from Paul Dini's revamp from the last few years.

On the other hand...they've already used the major Gotham Rogues that could conceivably work within the Nolan-verse. The only ones that could work at this point would be Penguin, Catwoman or Talia. Talia would be a nice way to come full circle and have Bruce facing the repercussions for stopping the League of Shadows in the first film.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Riddler Out for Batman 3

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Well there goes my personal theory for the next movie...

I kept holding out hope that the next two villains would be the Penguin and the Riddler. With the Riddler being an FBI Profile who goes over the edge trying to track down and flushout Batman, while the Penguin would be an overseas Mafia boss who comes in to take charge of Gothams organized crime after much of the top got eliminated in the last movie.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Penguin's presence would actually allow for some interesting conflict. In TDK, we saw what Batman's limits were.

Now, what about Bruce Wayne's limits.

Penguin could be a corrupt Mafia figure posing as a legitimate businessman. He could move in to take over the Falcone and Maroni syndicates as you said. But he could also make a move against Wayne Enterprises. Or, Talia might go that route if she's brought in.
Bottlestein
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Bottlestein »

What about Mr Freeze? :wink:

The Penguin without the Joker feels a bit strange, for some reason. I know there's loads of stuff where Penguin appears without him, but it just makes the episode better when they're both together.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Actually people are wondering a tad on which particular direction.

Doubtful it will be Freeze, Ivy , or a returned Ra's as Nolan has said he does not want to go down that particular route of fantasy bullhockey needed to make said characters work.

Now people are veering the rumors towards either Talia, Bane, or Catwoman.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Fries, Dr Isley and in my not the tiniest bit humble opinion Bane are too fantasy for the Nolan take on my tiny corner of the DC universe though you could probably make Isley work as a biochemistry terrorist. Poisoned vegetable supplies and deadly house plants instead of vines on steroids (not to mention the inevitable killing/mind-control lipstick).
I could see the riddler but he's apparently out. Selina I could see as being worked into the setting but not really as a villain, she's just not unambiguously evil for that. Same goes for Talia. Yes if course I'm personally biased. I'm also correct.
I could have seen Nigma but he seems to be out at least for the time being.
Cobblepot or Black Mask could work from the organized crime angle, though I'm not sure the latter is well known enough to the general audience.
Jervis Tech might work as a deranged high tech criminal but again, I'm not sure he's sufficiently well known or big enough to work as the main villain.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Go for some less well known villains.

Clayface as some sort of master of disguise, but definitely NOT actually having his regular superpowers. Hush might be another possibility.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Hush doesn't work without a fuckton of background that never happened in the Nolan movies to begin with, even ignoring my deep and searing hatred for that for want of a better word storyline.
Clayface as a master of disguise could work, I agree.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I don't know much about Hush, I was just pouring through the rogues gallery trying to find fits :)

My experience with Batman comes from the Movies and The Animated Series.

Also, as a thing to keep in mind, although The Dark Knight was keeping it fairly plausible (except the cell phone thing, lol), Batman Begins had the crazy fear toxin-destroying-gotham plot and the global ninja conspiracy led by Liam Neeson. So some degree of craziness is possible.
Last edited by adam_grif on 2010-10-27 08:54pm, edited 2 times in total.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I was kind of skeptical of Riddler to begin with. Riddler CAN work, but only when you have time to delve into his prodigious intelligence and his obsessions. Not least because of the similar name, Riddler can fall into the trap of seeming like he's trying to follow up the Joker, which just will not work. Most people are probably thinking of Frank Gorshin or Jim Carrey (who was not an inherently bad choice himself, but in an over-the-top movie).
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

Is it Scarface who is the ventriloquist with the psychotic doll? That could be done, I guess. Another that might be interesting would be to have Azrael as the bad guy.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

That'd be Scarface all right, but I think he too is too obscure for the silver screen audience.
And Azrael would never work even for people who know who in Valen's name he is in the first place. You'd probably need an entire trilogy just to establish his background in the first place, and he's just nowhere near evil enough. Harvey Dent came across as a tortured soul, a victim, despite everything he did towards the end of TDK. There's no way you can make Jean Paul look like a real bad guy without massively straying from the base material.
You could have him as a backup but the prime antagonist has to be someone who's unmistakably a villain.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

xt828 wrote:Is it Scarface who is the ventriloquist with the psychotic doll? That could be done, I guess. Another that might be interesting would be to have Azrael as the bad guy.
It'd be interesting to see a Nolan-verse take on Wesker and the dummy, but it can't sustain the entire film.
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

I'm still holding out for a shadowy-Joker-outline-in-Arkham running things and a slowly-driven-batshit-insane Harleen Quinzel out tearing the town up.

Near the start of the movie, she's not even aware she's doing it, then as it goes on, she starts noticing things about the crimes that seem familiar, and finding detonators and the like in her apartment. At some point, she tries to confront Joker, but he convinces her nothing's wrong. Later on she gives herself to the persona, but near the end of the movie, once Harley is defeated, a twisted, even more naive version of "Harleen" comes out from behind what she has become and tries to psycho-analyse herself.

...Maybe?
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Drone
Youngling

Post by Drone »

Why exactly does it have to be someone well known to non-comic fans? Unless you watched the animated series or read the comics you wouldn't have had any idea who Ras Al-Ghul was and it certainly didn't make him a bad villain. The way the story was written and the way the character interacted with Batman was all that mattered. They could use some random guy that dresses up as a Satyr or something as long as it's a convincing story, people who've never touched a comic book will still go to see it.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Why not try creating some villains who exist specifically for the movie? It's not like they weren't willing to rewrite Ras Al-ghul to suit their needs.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I know a perfect villain, the Batman from Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Robin. Batman vs The Goddam Batman, a match made in heaven.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

Maybe have Black Skull as the B villain? And, no, we are not even thinking of using Anarky.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

“We’ll use many of the same characters as we have all along, and we’ll be introducing some new ones,” Nolan said in the interview, adding that the villain “won’t be the Riddler.” Hmm… curiouser and curiouser, right?
Of course! The Mad Hatter! HE'S the next movie villain!

Seriously, Bane hunting down Bats, Penguin working the Mafia, or Isley the ecoterrorist would work best for the tone of Nolanverse Batman.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Mad Hatter would totally tickle Nolan's fancy if he wants to do more Inceptioning. :D

Though that wouldn't work either.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Metahive wrote:I know a perfect villain, the Batman from Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Robin. Batman vs The Goddam Batman, a match made in heaven.
I like this idea way too much. They even set up the "copycat" Batmen in TDK. :D
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Can they really use the title from the last movie in this one? The Dark Knight? The Darknight Rises? Superman Returns The Second Time?

lets not get sloppy.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

What about Zsasz? He's a serial killer who just randomly chooses a victim, and needs to kill them, and once they are killed by him, he makes a mark on his body. Although I don't think he could work for a whole movie, he would be a great henchman or something like that.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Didn't he already cameo in Batman Begins? He would make a good nolan verse villian.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

With a title like Dark Knight Rises, it implies a return to prominence for Batman. So I imagine the villain is someone he can defeat publicly, in order to win back the favour of the public. Of course, this is based on my own speculation.
RecklessPrudence wrote:I'm still holding out for a shadowy-Joker-outline-in-Arkham running things and a slowly-driven-batshit-insane Harleen Quinzel out tearing the town up.

Near the start of the movie, she's not even aware she's doing it, then as it goes on, she starts noticing things about the crimes that seem familiar, and finding detonators and the like in her apartment. At some point, she tries to confront Joker, but he convinces her nothing's wrong. Later on she gives herself to the persona, but near the end of the movie, once Harley is defeated, a twisted, even more naive version of "Harleen" comes out from behind what she has become and tries to psycho-analyse herself.

...Maybe?
No. Nolan has said quite explicitly that there will be no Joker in the third one.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin