Peter Jackson to direct the Hobbit movies, probably

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Peter Jackson to direct the Hobbit movies, probably

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Slight update, and many already know this but NZ confirmed as filming site for next movie
October 2010 Last updated at 10:30 ET Help
Two movies based on The Hobbit will be filmed in New Zealand as planned, the country's prime minister has confirmed.

The announcement follows two days of talks with Hollywood executives over whether the Lord of the Rings prequels should be shot in the country.

Warner Bros and New Line had considered taking the production elsewhere after acting unions threatened to boycott the films in a row over wages.

David Silitto reports.

Read more

Hobbit to be made in New Zealand
There is a video on the site as well with a lot more about the deal.

EDIT: Something else that has been on my mind for a while, while I know Peter jackson is an amazing director and did wonders with LOTR; I ope he is able to stay true to the spirit of "The Hobbit". One has to remember that The Hobbit started its life as a children's story. More specifically it was a story that Tolkien told his kinds at night before bed, and then went back later and wrote it down and cleaned it up as a book. While the book does have its gritty and more dangerous moments, I hope that they are able to keep its overall tone light hearted and not head down into GRIMDARK as hollywood has been doing more and more.

For those that grew up watching the animated movie as kids, I still think that sets a perfect balance of adventure mixed with over all fun and good natured adventure.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Good.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: One has to remember that The Hobbit started its life as a children's story. More specifically it was a story that Tolkien told his kinds at night before bed, and then went back later and wrote it down and cleaned it up as a book. While the book does have its gritty and more dangerous moments, I hope that they are able to keep its overall tone light hearted and not head down into GRIMDARK as hollywood has been doing more and more.
I'm sorry to tell you, Crossroads, but in the grim darkness of Middle Earth there is only war. :mrgreen:

In earnest, I agree with you. I think the very beginning of the LotR main plot in Shire shows that Jackson can do more lighthearted stuff as well, and if he just keeps that mode for much of the Hobbit movies, it should be sufficiently close to the mood of the novel.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote: One has to remember that The Hobbit started its life as a children's story. More specifically it was a story that Tolkien told his kinds at night before bed, and then went back later and wrote it down and cleaned it up as a book. While the book does have its gritty and more dangerous moments, I hope that they are able to keep its overall tone light hearted and not head down into GRIMDARK as hollywood has been doing more and more.
I'm sorry to tell you, Crossroads, but in the grim darkness of Middle Earth there is only war. :mrgreen:

In earnest, I agree with you. I think the very beginning of the LotR main plot in Shire shows that Jackson can do more lighthearted stuff as well, and if he just keeps that mode for much of the Hobbit movies, it should be sufficiently close to the mood of the novel.
And it'll also work into the LOTR film trilogy, where the Shire sequence can serve as a transition from the lighter tone of the Hobbit into the darker stage of LOTR.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

I didn't know if we wanted to do a new thread, or change this one to be an all-Hobbit movie news thread.
Hollywood Reporter wrote: Cate Blanchett has joined the cast of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, where she will again play the role of Galadriel, the Lady of Lothlorien, who also appeared in The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

"Cate is one of my favorite actors to work with," Jackson said, "and I couldn't be more thrilled to have her reprise the role she so beautifully brought to life in the earlier film."
The latest additions to the cast also include Ken Stott as the Dwarf Lord Balin; Sylvester McCoy as the wizard Radagast the Brown; and Mikael Persbrandt as the shape-shifter Beorn.
Ryan Gage will play Drogo Baggins, while New Zealand actors Jed Brophy will play the role of the dwarf Nori and William Kircher will appear as the dwarf Bifur.
The Hobbit, which will be comprised of two films shooting back-to-back, begins principal photography in February.
The actors join the previously announced cast that includes Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner, Rob Kazinsky, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow and Peter Hambleton.
The two films are targeted for release in December 2012 and December 2013.
Nice to see the cast re-forming for what I hope to be an epic film event.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Drone
Youngling

Post by Drone »

Umm why? Galadriel wasn't in the Hobbit at all, unless she's moving to Murkwood somehow.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

They're combining The Hobbit with some of the other events that take place prior to The Lord of the Rings.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

So is Ian McKellan onboard or not? Nothing I have seen states one way or the other. Even his own site is less-than-clear. Hope he is, and frankly, they better get this show on the road.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

FSTargetDrone wrote:So is Ian McKellan onboard or not? Nothing I have seen states one way or the other. Even his own site is less-than-clear. Hope he is, and frankly, they better get this show on the road.
I dearly hope that he is included.

Actually, the Hobbit should be a pretty easy deal to translate to film; I don't think they'll need to cut much at all to fit the right timeframe, and some of the scenes should be wonderful when visually represented. Heck, that old animated version wasn't half-bad, aside from some of the songs.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collecti ... ews#photo0
Cast photos for most of the rolls, and YES Ian is on as Gandalf.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Tsyroc wrote:Richard Boone did a good job as Smaug in the 1977 animated version. Unfortunately, he is also deceased.
Well, they could always re-purpose his dialogue for the film.

Anyway, glad to get confirmation that Sir Ian's on board.