Alucard (Hellsing) vs. Dracula (Castlevania)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Einzige
LOLbertarian Douchebag

Alucard (Hellsing) vs. Dracula (Castlevania)

Post by Einzige »

For those of you not familiar with one or both of these interpretations of the character, here's Alucard's biography from the Hellsing wiki, and here's Dracula's.

Three scenarios:

1. Both start at opposite ends of a plain-jane, purely neutral graveyard.

2. Alucard replaces the Belmonts in a standard Castlevania scenario, and has to traverse Dracula's castle, reach him, and kill him.

3. Dracula has been targeted by Hellsing for extermination, and Alucard has their backing to destroy him.
When the histories are written, I'll bet that the Old Right and the New Left are put down as having a lot in common and that the people in the middle will be the enemy.
- Barry Goldwater

Americans see the Establishment center as an empty, decaying void that commands neither their confidence nor their love. It was not the American worker who designed the war or our military machine. It was the establishment wise men, the academicians of the center.
- George McGovern
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Re: Alucard (Hellsing) vs. Dracula (Castlevania)

Post by Norade »

This one looks to be no contest in Alucard's favor, having seen the anime and read the wiki I don't see what Dracula has that can harm him. Physical attacks even by blessed and silver weapons harm Alucard only as much as bullets which is to say, not at all except to force him to regenerate and he has regenerated from a pool of blood in the most extreme cases. This ignores the fact that he would be both faster, stronger, and more knowledgeable than Simon who was also able to defeat Dracula. Not to mention that, according to the wiki you linked, he may be able to exist in multiple times and places at once.

Not really a contest as Alucard takes all three easily.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Dracula loses. Comes back repeatedly in sequels.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I love the SotN Dracula quite a bit, but he's just got no hope against the Hellsing Alucard, who is an immensely overpowered combatant--the exact kind of foe that Dracula from Castlevania has a hard time with. If Alucard doesn't have his guns or the Vampire Slayer whip then he's got a slightly more difficult road ahead of him, but Alucard can basically just devolve into soul-rending cosmic horror form and kill anything. He's one of the most overpowered and anticlimatic characters ever. You'd have to kill him thousands upon thousands of times to weaken him enough that he's actually got to worry about not just goofing off.

Alucard would undoubtedly enjoy the fight with Dracula (who has shape-changing, familiar-summoning, reality-warping powers) more than he has with any of the other more mundane foes, but Dracula lacks the ability to shut down a single target. He's a regional power, capable of waging a war, he'd really be better off trying to get Alucard to stumble into a chamber with one of the boss monsters that do better against a single guy.

I'd pick Galamoth due to a combination of nearly indestructible and magical lightning powers, but for those not intensely familiar with Castlevania games, basically any giant hulking monster might do better against Alucard's bullets, soul dogs and other magical nonsense than the actual Dracula himself.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

The most dangerous foe Alucard has faced in the manga was young Walter who has ... strength, speed and his wires. That's basically all you need to get Alucard's 'oh shit' face on. As much as he berated Luke Valentine for only having speed and strength, when the chips were down that's really all Walter needed to make Alucard look like a chump. Admittedly young Walter could slice apart skyscrapers and throw them around, but that level of strength isn't all that uncommon.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Those wires of Walters can also slice apart bullets after they have left a gun.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Ford Prefect wrote:The most dangerous foe Alucard has faced in the manga was young Walter who has ... strength, speed and his wires. That's basically all you need to get Alucard's 'oh shit' face on. As much as he berated Luke Valentine for only having speed and strength, when the chips were down that's really all Walter needed to make Alucard look like a chump. Admittedly young Walter could slice apart skyscrapers and throw them around, but that level of strength isn't all that uncommon.
Wasn't that just because Walter could take apart Alucard's familiars en masse with his wires? I don't think anyone else in the manga ever took out entire armies with a single attack.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

I agree with what Covenant said.

However, according to Order of Ecclesia, the Belmonts, with their vampire killer whip, were the only ones who actually could destroy Dracula, until the "Dominus glyphs" were discovered, which were in fact derived from Dracula's own essence. The only other person to have killed Dracula without the whip is Castlevania's Alucard, who, we may presume, is also derived from Dracula's own essence. So perhaps against an opponent without such magical Dracula-killing abilities, Dracula will be a walking no-limits fallacy like Alucard himself. After all, he too can turn into freaky monsters full of eyes and tits, and teleport to weirdo dimensions.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Dooey Jo wrote:I agree with what Covenant said.

However, according to Order of Ecclesia, the Belmonts, with their vampire killer whip, were the only ones who actually could destroy Dracula, until the "Dominus glyphs" were discovered, which were in fact derived from Dracula's own essence. The only other person to have killed Dracula without the whip is Castlevania's Alucard, who, we may presume, is also derived from Dracula's own essence. So perhaps against an opponent without such magical Dracula-killing abilities, Dracula will be a walking no-limits fallacy like Alucard himself. After all, he too can turn into freaky monsters full of eyes and tits, and teleport to weirdo dimensions.
This could get amusing pretty quickly, since both are essentially immortal. An eternity of twin Draculas attempting and failing to destroy one another! Floating castles versus English manor homes! Cheesy movie references versus... cheesy movie references. :)

Dracula potentially has the best chance to win if he goes on the offensive. If you can provoke Alucard into unleashing his army of souls, then he can be killed permanently, and his army isn't necessarily that special (though ordinary weapons might not be able to hurt them). So theoretically, if Dracula could do that (maybe by invading England or something), then he would have a chance of killing Alucard permanently. Of course, this is only possible in the third scenario, but in the other two, as you noted, Alucard runs straight into his lack of the Vampire Killer or Dracula-essence.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I wouldn't go that far. The Dominus glyphs are certainly handy, but Castlevania's Dracula fits in the Brahm Stoker timeline, meaning he was indeed killed by a Texan at one point--same as Alucard, from whence the Hellsing name comes, and where (in Hellsing) Alucard gets his signature red cloak.

So if you want to get technical, Dracula can be defeated (IE, forced to repeat the 100 year cycle) by just about anyone, assuming they kick enough ass to do it. He can even be killed by pirates (Grant DaNasty) so it's a matter of some debate what happens when engaged by a powerful supernatural force. Alucard is extremely easily killed, but the issue is that he doesn't stay dead, and that from all the souls he's eaten he basically has unlimited one-ups to do battle with.

It's obvious that the power level of Castlevania Dracula changes--an obvious explanation would be that his 100 year cycle represents a good baseline for his powers increasing potency, but being resurrected out-of-turn might bring him back with weaker levels. Regardless, even if you deprive Alucard of all of his magical doodads, his soul forms are still magical in nature, and we know that spells can hurt Dracula.

But if we assume Alucard's magic isn't technically magic, and we also assume that it's Dominus glyphs, Vampire Killers, Magic OR Blood Relation to the Belmonts that spell his doom, it sounds like Alucard will be able to KO the King of Vampires. He may not be able to eat his soul, or spare England from the ravages of an almighty undead army, but in single combat I don't see much way around it.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Wasn't that just because Walter could take apart Alucard's familiars en masse with his wires? I don't think anyone else in the manga ever took out entire armies with a single attack.
It's fairly clear that Walter is just too good for Alucard to beat. Alucard gets within an inch of taking off Walter's head before he realises that Walter's caught his arm in his wires. Walter looks distinctly unimpressed. Alucard has the biggest 'oh shit' face in the manga. It's not totally one-sided, but Walter is easily superior.
What is Project Zohar?

Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Have you read the final volume Prefect? It seems heavily implied Alucard pretty much was just fucking around with Walter. I mean, he uses the little girl form instead of lovecraftian horror form and punches instead of his knife handed jabs. Of course, by the end Alucard is even more invincible (if that is even possible) because he absorbs Schrodinger's soul.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Axiomatic
Padawan Learner

Post by Axiomatic »

If we're going to go by "Can be only killed by members of a certain family", then I should point out that Alucard himself has a sort of inverse-WitchKing prophecy. By which I mean that he can only be killed by a man. Since Dracula is a monster, he doesn't qualify.
Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I think he's from the CIA.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Covenant wrote:I wouldn't go that far. The Dominus glyphs are certainly handy, but Castlevania's Dracula fits in the Brahm Stoker timeline, meaning he was indeed killed by a Texan at one point--same as Alucard, from whence the Hellsing name comes, and where (in Hellsing) Alucard gets his signature red cloak.
Yes, but just like Hellsing, they have made some qualifications to the novel. Quincey Morris is now a sort-of descendant of the Belmonts, and in Bloodlines, his son has the Vampire Killer. I don't think it says explicitly anywhere that Quincey actually used the whip to kill Dracula, but it's a possible interpretation. In Portrait of Ruin, it's revealed that his son later died too, because using the whip is harmful to indirect descendants. It can also be noted that Eric LeCarde, the other playable character in Bloodlines failed to kill a vampire who wasn't even Dracula, even though he had the "Alucard Spear", whatever the christ that is.
So if you want to get technical, Dracula can be defeated (IE, forced to repeat the 100 year cycle) by just about anyone, assuming they kick enough ass to do it. He can even be killed by pirates (Grant DaNasty) [...]
Not quite, though. Both Sypha and Grant failed in Dracula's Curse. It wasn't until Trevor saved them that they were able to get him. Supposedly, the canon version is that they all helped, but then there would have been both a Belmont with the Vampire Killer, and a low-powered Alucard there during the kill.

It is difficult to separate what is supposed to be the actual story, from pure game aspects. I mean, in Portait it's technically possible to kill him with creampies (thankfully not the awful kind), yet in Dracula's Curse the Pope has no choice but to find the Belmonts after everyone else, including whole armies amassed by the Church, failed to defeat Dracula.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Dark Hellion wrote:Have you read the final volume Prefect? It seems heavily implied Alucard pretty much was just fucking around with Walter. I mean, he uses the little girl form instead of lovecraftian horror form and punches instead of his knife handed jabs. Of course, by the end Alucard is even more invincible (if that is even possible) because he absorbs Schrodinger's soul.
I don't really buy the idea that Alucard was playing around for the entire fight. That's not really Kouta Hirano's style. And frankly, Using his little girl form is pretty much irrelevant: it doens't matter what Alucard looks like, unless he put hisl imiters back on, he's no less powerful. And as I recall, Walter was deteriorating in strength the entire way through, hence the continual deaging. The entire presentation of their fight is 'Alucard is totally fucked here, guys'. I mean, that's even how the Major gets Alucard to absorb Schrodinger - he's getting so wrecked that he needs to absorb all that blood in London, and gets Schrondinger in the process, which 'kills' him.

And frankly, we've seen Alucard play around before, and it's nothing like was going on with Walter. Previously when someone cut him up, he just looked nonchalant. When Walter cut him up, he looked terrified.
What is Project Zohar?

Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Dark Hellion wrote:Have you read the final volume Prefect? It seems heavily implied Alucard pretty much was just fucking around with Walter. I mean, he uses the little girl form instead of lovecraftian horror form and punches instead of his knife handed jabs. Of course, by the end Alucard is even more invincible (if that is even possible) because he absorbs Schrodinger's soul.
I don't really buy the idea that Alucard was playing around for the entire fight. That's not really Kouta Hirano's style. And frankly, Using his little girl form is pretty much irrelevant: it doens't matter what Alucard looks like, unless he put hisl imiters back on, he's no less powerful. And as I recall, Walter was deteriorating in strength the entire way through, hence the continual deaging. The entire presentation of their fight is 'Alucard is totally fucked here, guys'. I mean, that's even how the Major gets Alucard to absorb Schrodinger - he's getting so wrecked that he needs to absorb all that blood in London, and gets Schrondinger in the process, which 'kills' him.

And frankly, we've seen Alucard play around before, and it's nothing like was going on with Walter. Previously when someone cut him up, he just looked nonchalant. When Walter cut him up, he looked terrified.
That's partly because he had lost his extra souls, though. If he was in that same situation in Volume 1, Anderson would have killed him as well. Of course, Walter isn't likely to have given him the opportunity to fully regenerate, but had Alucard his full collection of souls, (or even a couple extras) Walter would have degraded fully before killing him permanently.
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
pj1351
Youngling

Post by pj1351 »

Ford Prefect wrote:The entire presentation of their fight is 'Alucard is totally fucked here, guys'. I mean, that's even how the Major gets Alucard to absorb Schrodinger - he's getting so wrecked that he needs to absorb all that blood in London, and gets Schrondinger in the process, which 'kills' him.

If you view that chapter alone, that would be the impression it gives. But consider Walter's sudden uncertainty after Alucard changed to girl form (yelling "What the hell are you up to?!" and all), and Alucard's line: "I'm not fooling around. You're the one who's doing that. I'm just trying to put up a 'side show' that matches yours. It's child's play."

Also Alucard's lines just before he starts to absorb the blood: "I have no intention of playing along with your desire to have a match with me... A match that you've gambled with your humanity!" and "Did you actually think I would be so civil towards a traitor that I'd grant him a fair one-on-one match?"

Letting Walter believe that he really was winning, only to have his effort mocked as child's play? Alucard was going for maximum humiliation.
"Those Chinese f..kers are trying to rat-f..k us," -credited to Kevin Rudd, the former Prime Minister of Australia :lol:
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Wait, so what you're saying is we should assume that Walter absolutely demolishing Alucard with no effort was because Alucard wasn't trying? Sorry, that's bullshit. It's simply more likely that Alucard was talking out of his ass in an attempt to freak Walter out, as opposed to assuming that he has vast, untapped reserves of power which weren't even hinted at in the previous fight against Anderson. Alucard fucking with Walter and Walter being his massive superior in a fight are not mutually exclusive. I mean, the traitor line actually implies that Alucard is out of his depth, and is about to 'cheat'. Seriously, have you considered that Alucard's change in tactics was to give himself a chance?
What is Project Zohar?

Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Ford Prefect wrote:Wait, so what you're saying is we should assume that Walter absolutely demolishing Alucard with no effort was because Alucard wasn't trying? Sorry, that's bullshit. It's simply more likely that Alucard was talking out of his ass in an attempt to freak Walter out, as opposed to assuming that he has vast, untapped reserves of power which weren't even hinted at in the previous fight against Anderson. Alucard fucking with Walter and Walter being his massive superior in a fight are not mutually exclusive. I mean, the traitor line actually implies that Alucard is out of his depth, and is about to 'cheat'. Seriously, have you considered that Alucard's change in tactics was to give himself a chance?
For that matter, if he was really so awesome, why did he let Walter destroy his hellhound familiar? Why did Seras have to help him against Anderson? Frankly, Alucard isn't a particularly good fighter within the Hellsing-verse. He's overconfident, tends to rely on having backup souls, and usually just overpowers the enemy after lulling them into thinking he's died. He goes up against loser artificial vampires, and outright refused to fight the Captain during WWII, claiming that vampires are his "only specialty". He's then visibly shocked when the Captain kicks him in half. Frankly, it's quite possible that Seras (police training) or Integra (can block bullets with a sword, kill vampires in hand-to-hand) are better fighters than him, technically speaking.
pj1351
Youngling

Post by pj1351 »

Ford Prefect wrote:as opposed to assuming that he has vast, untapped reserves of power which weren't even hinted at in the previous fight against Anderson.
Having already sent out his army, Alucard was supposedly (excepting his familiar) just Alucard-the-Vampire, but even then he immediately regenerated from his arm and his head being cut off by Anderson earlier in the fight. Even after having most of his head and upper body taken over by Anderson's thorns and holy fire, was in a despairing hallucination over how the last person he saw as a worthy human arch enemy had thrown away his humanity the same way he did, and was in the middle of just giving up right then and there... But the moment Seras woke him up he completely overwhelmed Anderson, holy relic and all (nevermind completely regenerating himself, once again)?
I mean, the traitor line actually implies that Alucard is out of his depth, and is about to 'cheat'. Seriously, have you considered that Alucard's change in tactics was to give himself a chance?
Alucard's twisted idea of a "fair" fight is to make his opponents prove themselves as monster-killing humans against all odds with his army, then facing them one-on-one as just himself (see his fight against Anderson, prior to the latter using the Nail, and the references to Van Helsing's group doing the same in the past). It could be that Alucard's words were nothing but a bluff, but given that his fight against Walter was the complete reverse order of those he considers to be worthy of fighting one-on-one, and how easily he recovered from wounds from a holy relic only a short time ago...

Bakustra wrote:Frankly, it's quite possible that Seras (police training) or Integra (can block bullets with a sword, kill vampires in hand-to-hand) are better fighters than him, technically speaking.
Alucard was good enough draw his sword (his left hand holding the scabbard, and right hand had been patting Seras' head moments ago) to block and drive back a surprise overhead sword attack from Anderson, then effortlessly do so again from a full frontal sword attack that was supported by holy magic. Whatever other impression he might give, he is not a pushover in a conventional fight.
"Those Chinese f..kers are trying to rat-f..k us," -credited to Kevin Rudd, the former Prime Minister of Australia :lol:
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

pj1351 wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:as opposed to assuming that he has vast, untapped reserves of power which weren't even hinted at in the previous fight against Anderson.
Having already sent out his army, Alucard was supposedly (excepting his familiar) just Alucard-the-Vampire, but even then he immediately regenerated from his arm and his head being cut off by Anderson earlier in the fight. Even after having most of his head and upper body taken over by Anderson's thorns and holy fire, was in a despairing hallucination over how the last person he saw as a worthy human arch enemy had thrown away his humanity the same way he did, and was in the middle of just giving up right then and there... But the moment Seras woke him up he completely overwhelmed Anderson, holy relic and all (nevermind completely regenerating himself, once again)?
Anderson's bayonets aren't fatal to a vampire unless they penetrate their heart (or presumably if they decapitate, since Anderson believed that he killed Alucard in ch. 4). They only hamper regeneration if left in the wound. So cutting his arm off isn't going to be more than a hindrance to Alucard, even with Anderson's blessed weapons. He does get decapitated, but his head then explodes into blood, which is still connected to his neck, suggesting that he may be able to shapeshift enough to hold his head on if necessary. In any case, the thorns and holy fire are painful, but not fatal; Seras was able to pull the bayonet out without being killed or seriously injured.
I mean, the traitor line actually implies that Alucard is out of his depth, and is about to 'cheat'. Seriously, have you considered that Alucard's change in tactics was to give himself a chance?
Alucard's twisted idea of a "fair" fight is to make his opponents prove themselves as monster-killing humans against all odds with his army, then facing them one-on-one as just himself (see his fight against Anderson, prior to the latter using the Nail, and the references to Van Helsing's group doing the same in the past). It could be that Alucard's words were nothing but a bluff, but given that his fight against Walter was the complete reverse order of those he considers to be worthy of fighting one-on-one, and how easily he recovered from wounds from a holy relic only a short time ago...
He's visibly shocked when Walter dices his arm at the beginning of their fight. He's shocked again when the Jackal explodes. He's only confident once he distracts Walter by shapeshifting Luke's remains into a copy of him. He's not necessarily bluffing, but he only gained the upper hand by a combination of luck and Walter beginning to break down. The Major is confident in Walter's ability to defeat Alucard until Walter begins to break down, and he had no illusions about Alhambra, Rip, or Zorin being able to defeat Alucard or Hellsing. Finally, before moving to finish Walter off, Alucard takes the time to draw all the blood in London towards himself. Part grandstanding sure, but probably part security as well.
Bakustra wrote:Frankly, it's quite possible that Seras (police training) or Integra (can block bullets with a sword, kill vampires in hand-to-hand) are better fighters than him, technically speaking.
Alucard was good enough draw his sword (his left hand holding the scabbard, and right hand had been patting Seras' head moments ago) to block and drive back a surprise overhead sword attack from Anderson, then effortlessly do so again from a full frontal sword attack that was supported by holy magic. Whatever other impression he might give, he is not a pushover in a conventional fight.
Anderson's holy powers don't make him any stronger or his swords explicitly magical. Alucard can fight, but he usually overwhelms his enemies entirely by brute force. Laziness and complacency were problems for him against Anderson the first time, against the Dandy, and indeed against all his enemies, even Rip to an extent. He's just tough enough, usually, not to have to worry about it.