Christopher Nolan to take over Superman.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Christopher Nolan to take over Superman.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

As I can determine this hasn't been posted before. Its a couple months out of date but this is the first I've heard of its so hopefully its not old news to everyone:

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/03/10/c ... -batman-3/
Christopher Nolan Talks 'Superman' and 'Batman 3'
by Elisabeth Rappe Mar 10th 2010 // 9:47AM
Filed under: Action, Warner Brothers, Scripts, DIY/Filmmaking, Comic/Superhero/Geek, Remakes and Sequels
Time probably stopped for Superman and DC fans when news broke that Christopher Nolan was going to oversee Warner Bros' Superman reboot, and that David S. Goyer would be penning a new Man of Steel story. (Possibly even titled Man of Steel.) As Nolan is one of those quiet chaps, there's been little word on what he and Goyer plan to do, but he's broken his silence and given an interview with Hero Complex.

Nolan remains tight-lipped on Goyer's idea, but revealed that it came about as they hit an impasse on Batman 3. "He basically told me, 'I have this thought about how you would approach Superman.' I immediately got it, loved it and thought: That is a way of approaching the story I've never seen before that makes it incredibly exciting. I wanted to get Emma [Thomas] and I involved in shepherding the project right away and getting it to the studio and getting it going in an exciting way." He wasn't willing to discuss villains (though he said Mr. Freeze won't be in it) or what time period it'll be set in, though he denied all the Man of Steel rumors currently circulating. There's a Superman reboot, and Goyer is writing the script. That's all he'll say, the tease.

Ok, not quite. Nolan quickly quashed any idea that a new Superman movie will lead to a Justice League spinoff. Superman will exist in his own world of Metropolis, and have no conception of a world where other superheroes exists. "A lot of people have approached Superman in a lot of different ways. I only know the way that has worked for us that's what I know how to do .... Each [hero] serves to the internal logic of the story. They have nothing to do with each other."

As for Batman 3, it is picking up steam. Jonathan Nolan is hard at work on the script, and while Nolan won't say whether or not he'll direct, he still seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for Gotham City and is eager to bring his Batman saga to a close. That's something the rumor mill didn't reveal at all, and should calm the fanboy fears that he will abandon his creation. "I'm very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we've done with the characters," Nolan said. "My brother has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these thing don't go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful. Viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we're telling. And it hearkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories. That's what we do."

Now let the rumor mill and fantasy casting begin. The silence was just the gathering of the geek storm, believe me.
Now, personally I think Nolan did a damn fine job with Batman in many respects, though I sincerely wonder if he's the right man for Superman. I wish the article had a bit more on the next Batman film, though its interesting to hear that Mr. Freeze is definitely out, and that there are apparently no plans for a Justice League crossover.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on 2010-05-21 04:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Christopher Nolan to take over Superman?

Post by Gandalf »

A good Superman film needs to have a sense of "whimsy" about it. That's what the Reeve films had that the recent one didn't.

Could Nolan actually do that? I've not seen a lot of his work, and I don't think the downbeat tones of his Batman films wouldn't work for Superman.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Christopher Nolan to take over Superman.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm inclined to agree (though I feel that the Reeve films took it too far sometimes and hurt suspension of disbelief). The Batman style just wouldn't work.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

No, please, no GRIMDARK Superman.

It wasn't the Reeve films that had it right, but the Richard Donner films (The first Reeve film and most of the second). He tried to make Superman believable, but kept and adventurous tone.

The following films just forgot about believable and thouroughly raped SOD. (IN SPACE)
unsigned
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Pfft, the other two had problems but let's be honest...raped SoD? You mean when in number 1 wherein because of Horse-fac...Lois Lane died, he has the entire planet go backwards in TIME?!

Sorry, but that particular raped any SoD if taken into context of his other limitations. Now, I enjoyed the Donner's ideas of Superman because he made him a good all around hero, and in later viewings he made him a decent combination of Silver Age and a modern man. I also enjoyed the earlier films because the effects were good for flight and I enjoyed the banter the villains had versus the latter films. Richard Pyror was grossly underused and the fourth film was just erratic in what they wanted.

Now to Dolan, I do not want a grimdark Superman since it becomes ludicrious given his powers and even general mindset in popular fiction.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Ok, I'll concede that I still liked Superman 3's slapstick back in the day, although that movie seemed more about Richard Pryor than Superman. But Superman 4 had me shouting "BULLSHIT" as a child.
unsigned
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

One thing Mr. Nolan, and Stark and I were discussing this the other night...

Can we PLEASE skip the origin story? I mean, he is fucking Superman, probably the most recognizable and iconic fictional character in the WORLD. Do we need another rehash of the last son of krypton? Fuck, if you have to do it, just bust like the old school cartoons and just tell the audience over the intro.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

That seems unlikely. Wich is a shame, because the Crystal Krypton of the Donner movie was pretty awesome and I'd hate for the new version to piss all over that.

On the other hand, they could play it like the Lois & Clark series, and have Superman not be aware of his origin at first, thus make it a mystery story or something (wich allows for whatever twists they want to put into it later, like I believe has been done in Smallville)
unsigned
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Havok wrote:One thing Mr. Nolan, and Stark and I were discussing this the other night...

Can we PLEASE skip the origin story? I mean, he is fucking Superman, probably the most recognizable and iconic fictional character in the WORLD. Do we need another rehash of the last son of krypton? Fuck, if you have to do it, just bust like the old school cartoons and just tell the audience over the intro.
I'm hoping they take a page from Superman: Secret Origin and begin with Clark already in Smallville and learning about his past rather than starting on Krypton.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I prefer skipping the beginning of Superman and start off him already established. How many people do not know of his origin?

Just have a trilogy based on the first Superman\Doomsday\Cyborg Superman encounter. Streamline it, update the story and fit it into a trilogy. Who doesn't want to see a no holds barred fight between the Justice League + Superman against Doomsday. Amp up the finale fight scene as they trade blows causing massive shockwaves and earthquakes. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

LordOskuro wrote:That seems unlikely. Wich is a shame, because the Crystal Krypton of the Donner movie was pretty awesome and I'd hate for the new version to piss all over that.
I'd like it they do a combination of that mixed with the John Byrne origin. Make his world cold and alien and none of this "It's kinda like Earth just with silly symbols!" shit they keep loving. It is something I enjoyed that Donner liked.

And please, just Lex or Zod. Doomsday, Cyborg, Brainiac(Look Bald...but GREEN!), and the rest need backstory or the average will not care. At least with Zod, there are decent and some hokey memories, and Lex is at least the icon Superman is and needs no fucking extra time.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

It will be hard to top the original Donner/Reeves film, but I'd be willing to give Nolan the benefit of the doubt because I think he's a skilled director; however, Superman needs to retain a light hearted and upbeat feel to it.
Ghost Rider wrote:Pfft, the other two had problems but let's be honest...raped SoD? You mean when in number 1 wherein because of Horse-fac...Lois Lane died, he has the entire planet go backwards in TIME?!
That was always the part that killed it for me, even when I first saw it as a kid. Which is kind of ironic being that the emotionally charged lead up was always one of my favorite parts of the film.
Havok wrote:Can we PLEASE skip the origin story? I mean, he is fucking Superman, probably the most recognizable and iconic fictional character in the WORLD. Do we need another rehash of the last son of krypton? Fuck, if you have to do it, just bust like the old school cartoons and just tell the audience over the intro.
IIR they did something like that for Superman II, a montage/rehash of the first movie to the Superman theme as the opening credits rolled. Just redo it with updated effects and the current characters in place and everything will be fine.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Screw Lex. He is a tired and overused archenemy. Smallville wrecked Zod for me.

For a backstory, just have the intro dealing with Hank Henshaw and his crew having trouble in space and being bombarded with whatever crap rays they get hit with and Superman comes to save the day but is too late. Henshaw survives but is mutated into some tech poltergeist (or whatever you call what he is) and blames Superman and vows to have his revenge. Afterwards Supes has his TV interview and during that time Doomsday escapes from his imprisonment and wreaks havoc. Members of the JL go out and try to deal with DD but get trashed. Supes finds out from an emergency news bulletin and races out. Somehow he is contacted by someone from S.T.A.R. Labs or Cadmus saying it was one of their pet projects gone bad or a prison they found and unwittingly released DD. BLAH BLAH BLAH, Supes and DD go for a massive final battle, shattering windows in Metropolis for several miles around and causing earthquakes. Superman finally prevails but then dies in Lois' arms. Last few minutes of the movie showing Cadmus (or was it S.T.A.R Labs?) opening up a stasis chamber showing a young version of Superman. Then cut to a huge black man (Micheal Clark Duncan? :) ) resolving to pick up where Superman left off in the fight against crime and picks up a huge ass sledghammer and in the last few seconds we see Henshaw in his complete transformation as The Cyborg and flips a switch nuking Coast City... Fade out.

Second Movie deals with his death, the aftermath and those trying to fill his shoes. I haven't completely thought how it would go but in the end we see a Kryptonian warsuit lumbering along the bottom of the ocean heading directly towards Metropolis.

The third movie would deal with Supes return but powerless. They eventually deal with Cyborg and Supes eventually get his powers back but not from Eradicator (don't need him). Instead have Supes try to duke it out against Cyborg but lose and gets thrown into Engine City's power source which ironically enough is like a miniature sun. At first it looks like he's burning up but then he absorbs enough of the core to quickly heal and his powers return. Ta Da! He busts out and fights Cyborg again and defeats him. More BLAH BLAH BLAH and the end. :)

It took me a few minutes to cobble this together. :) lol
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Let's face it, though, if they make a reboot, some sort of re-introduction of the characters, specially to ease in the new actors, is in order. If they go the Batman Begins route, we might end up with a feature-length Smallville episode that explores Clark's true origin (with the Fortress of Solitude as a major plot point or something), wich, if done correctly, wouldn't be that bad, and would set the scene for the inevitable sequel to be well established.

And seeing how well Dark Knight did, it's plausible they'll go for a similar setup.

Although, since I'm coparing it to Batman, it's funny how the Tim Burton Batman movie kind of did it the other way around, with Batman's origin being a mystery that was being slowly revealed as the movie went on. Wich fits Vicky Vale being a journalist, and would fit Lois Lane being a nosy insufferable journalist too.

Or we'll get some "Ultimate" teenage Superman who goes all glittery when exposed to Kryptonite (I bash Twilight a lot, but the notion of its tyle becoming a trend is the stuff my nightmares are made of)

Edit: On the other hand, since Marvel is going for its Avengers movie, maybe DC will start making movies about JLA characters like The Flash or Wonder Woman (with Megan Fox cast in the role, for bonus irony points)
unsigned
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

LordOskuro wrote:Let's face it, though, if they make a reboot, some sort of re-introduction of the characters, specially to ease in the new actors, is in order. If they go the Batman Begins route, we might end up with a feature-length Smallville episode that explores Clark's true origin (with the Fortress of Solitude as a major plot point or something), wich, if done correctly, wouldn't be that bad, and would set the scene for the inevitable sequel to be well established.
I can see the exploration of his origin. Hell, there's a story there of making him being more super-human and then realizing his full blown alien. It has a lot of potential to have a new angle of his heroics and character.
Edit: On the other hand, since Marvel is going for its Avengers movie, maybe DC will start making movies about JLA characters like The Flash or Wonder Woman (with Megan Fox cast in the role, for bonus irony points)
Nolan has said he'll do them as seperate universe. Batman exists in his, Superman has his. In this I can agree with as it always has a bit of hurdle to read something and go "Why isn't Superman here to fucking kick this thing back into the stone age?". Marvel isn't much better, but a cohesive universe has problems in this regard.

As for the rehash of shoehorning Death and Rebirth of Superman? It was a fucking dumb story. Superman faces off Hul...I mean Doomsday. And we have to again keep in mind the thought of "So why doesn't he just fling the ground pounder into space?". And oh yeah! JL cameos for the fanboys. Then the REPLACEMENTS! After destroying a cameo city, he and the Heinsh...I mean Superforce Supersquad face off the evil half man, half robot duplicate villain that came back from the dead because he found Superman's birthpod to remake his body into Superman MKII!!! and alien army of ne'erdowellers. This has the making of a fantastic Bruce Campbell movie!

Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Ghost Rider wrote:This has the making of a fantastic Bruce Campbell movie!
I just had this fantastic visual of Bruce Campbell as SUPERMAN.
unsigned
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I am tired of seeing Superman at the beginning. I don't need to see him fucking around with a retarded Lois Lane and Lex Luther who can't see through his ingenious disguise.

I'd actually like to see a Kingdom Come type story where Supes has been deemed old fashioned by the public and he returns with and brings a sense of hope with him.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Careful, or they'll make a movie out of Superman At World's End.
unsigned
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

LordOskuro wrote:Let's face it, though, if they make a reboot, some sort of re-introduction of the characters, specially to ease in the new actors, is in order. If they go the Batman Begins route, we might end up with a feature-length Smallville episode that explores Clark's true origin (with the Fortress of Solitude as a major plot point or something), wich, if done correctly, wouldn't be that bad, and would set the scene for the inevitable sequel to be well established.
I could see something like that working, it certainly didn't hamper Batman Begins. By using flashbacks as opposed to narrating from the beginning, you can save a lot of time, leaving more room for Superman dealing with the antagonist(s) and the dilemma they create.

Speaking of antagonists, I don't see a problem with having Lex present in some capacity. Have him more as a background player who knows he can't take on Superman at the risk of losing everything he has, so instead works on the periphery, helping others by providing information, money, tech, etc., but carefully so he doesn't get exposed.

As for the the disguise part, I had an idea, but in retrospect I don't think it would work. Essentially, Lex would find out Supes identity, but Supes would also have something on Lex that would threaten to expose him and bring his empire down. So a stand off would occur. The problem is, while I could see Supes holding off to protect his family, I'm not really sure that Lex would as it would be all to easy to leak the information. Of course, it depends on how we're writing Luthor here, a more crazy variant, or a more careful plotting version.

As for Lois, have her find out early and work to help protect Supes' identity. It could be a bit of a surprise; you think she's going to do the reporter thing and expose him, but she's smart and ethical enough that she quickly realizes the greater good he represents and pulls a 180 coming fully on board to support and protect him.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Temujin wrote:As for Lois, have her find out early and work to help protect Supes' identity. It could be a bit of a surprise; you think she's going to do the reporter thing and expose him, but she's smart and ethical enough that she quickly realizes the greater good he represents and pulls a 180 coming fully on board to support and protect him.
No sure I like that. The whole romantic triangle between Lois, Clarck and Superman has potential for exploring relationship isues like the appeal of power or the true meaning of a relationship or such. Didn't the actual comics have Lois fall for Clark and him then revealing the truth when they were already engaged?

A big theme I've always seen in Superman is how the world reacts to him when in his different personas, and how that reflects on human behaviour and idol worship, I really hope they get into that.
unsigned
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Why why why why why why WHY WHY WHY WHY do we need ANOTHER origin story for Superman. Why do we even have to talk about his origin. Just show him BEING Superman and make a movie about that. Give him appropriate villains, don't overpower him and yes, work in some other fucking characters, even if just by name.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

LordOskuro wrote:No sure I like that. The whole romantic triangle between Lois, Clarck and Superman has potential for exploring relationship isues like the appeal of power or the true meaning of a relationship or such. Didn't the actual comics have Lois fall for Clark and him then revealing the truth when they were already engaged?
I'm not sure, I only have superficially kept up with the comic media. They can't keep a consistent story going with out resorting to pissing on their own canon and continuity by using reset buttons and the like. But I understand what your saying, I just think that it may be time to think a bit out of the box, as most of the traditional ideas have been done to death, and not very well at that. I want to see a Lois (and other characters) that keep their core strengths (i.e., Lois being a hard driven no-nonsense journalist), but lose some of the useless baggage that has accumulated around them (i.e., Lois Lois being nosy and insufferable, and not being able to quickly see through Clark's disguise).
Havok wrote:Why why why why why why WHY WHY WHY WHY do we need ANOTHER origin story for Superman. Why do we even have to talk about his origin. Just show him BEING Superman and make a movie about that. Give him appropriate villains, don't overpower him and yes, work in some other fucking characters, even if just by name.
I agree, I just think that if some level of back story needs to be told, then it should be done as minimally as possible via a montage at the beginning or flashbacks. Not: Act One - Krypton; Act Two - Smallville; Act Three - More Smallville; Act Four - Fortress of Solitude; etc...

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Why do we have origins? Because the writer wants you to connect to what makes his interpretation of the character as a valid one. He wants the viewer not to question why he made said character do "Douche action A" or "Kind action B". He wants you to see why he made the character to do this, and in media res takes that away from him.

That's why.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

But it is fucking Superman... has anyone done anything so drastically different with him that we need to REconnect? Not even close. Certainly not in the movies.
Last edited by Havok on 2010-05-22 02:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Havok wrote:But it is fucking Superman... has anyone done anything so drastically different with him that we need to REconnect? Not even close.
Actually they have always done their tweaks. Nothing drastic, because of his iconic value, but every single writer has added their personal tweak...and in doing a reboot, it will be no different. They all want to add their watermark to the grand whole and be done with it.

No different then 15 different re-telling of Batman's origin.