Jonah Hex Full Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Jonah Hex Full Trailer

Post by Lord Insanity »

I can't believe I am the first person to point this out.

I only know the character from the DC Animated Universe, but I am definitely interesting in seeing this.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Jonah Hex Full Trailer

Post by Majin Gojira »

I'm reminded of Linkara's "EXTREEEEEEEEMMMMMEEEE" mockery with that trailer.

It's just trying so hard.

Why couldn't we get a fun little throwback film out of this instead of EXTREEEEEEEEMMMMEEEEE cookie cutter nonsense?

I mean, Hex faced some very weird things, but it was guile and guts that got him through it. Now he's...hell, he's a knockoff of Gail Simoune's Coyote Kid, a character from Welcome to Tranquility.

Well, there is a difference--he does have a scarred face still.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

:lol:

It looks like it's gonna be a rehash of Wild Wild West. It's remarkably stupid, but entertaining, so oh well. :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

That's remarkable: they managed to stuff pretty women, explosions and gunslingers in a trailer and still have it come out sorta lame. "Trying too hard" is exactly the right way to put it.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Is it just me, or does Megan Fox feel like a vapid bimbo who doesn't even know how to be properly seductive?

Maybe it's just me, I really can't stand her voice, thank dog for spanish dubbing, at least it's been useful once.
unsigned
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

As someone who collected every Jonah Hex I could get my hands on as a child, and who had a "Squeeeeeee!" from the Timmverse appearances -- yeah, I like this. This is more of the Timothy Truman version of Hex -- a man more in the Weird West of Steampunk horror.

I do see that they have removed the canon cause of Hex's scar. Canon had Hex adopted by an Apache chief, and set above the chief's true son. After the son left him for dead, Hex came back to set the tale straight. The chief demanded the two young men battle with tomahawks to prove who was right. The son broke Hex's tomahawk, and Hex killed him with a knife. The chief, declaring this a cheat, had Hex's face branded.

Of course, that was back in the 1970s, when we weren't as PC about Native Americans. :roll:
The 'kill the family, leave the man for dead' is very Eastwood (Outlaw Josie Wells?). We will have to see if Turnbull is doing it for the canon reason (thinking Hex caused his son's death during the Civil War), or if there's another reason. I also have to see if Megan Fox is playing Talullah Black.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

IMDB has Fox's character as being named 'Leilah'. Might be same-character-different-name for Talullah.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

I actually spent some time on the set of Jonah Hex. While I can't say if it's going to be especially good or bad, I can say with certainty that they have a totally sweet train chase scene.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

First time I ever found out about Hex was watching a Crossover in the original Batman cartoons.

Watching the first 30 seconds of this movie Intro, ALl I could think was "So its The Wild Wild Wild West, but with a different guy?

I'll admit, I don't know much about Hex, I've only seen him in a few cameos in various cartoons.. But form those few appearances, he didn't same the "gadget" type.. he used wits, smarts and a lot of Sass mostly. Not knowing much about him ,I think I would like this movie, mostly because I liked Wild Wild West.

yeah I said...

That said Im betting its going to gut standard cannon for this Character and be just a mindless action flick.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

The only real experience I have with Jonah Hex is from the DCAU, and that one Amalgam 'verse comic where he was merged with Chamber.

I didn't want to want to see this, but honestly, I'm interested. On the other hand, I loved the idea (if not the execution) of Wild Wild West, so take that as you will.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Molyneux wrote:The only real experience I have with Jonah Hex is from the DCAU, and that one Amalgam 'verse comic where he was merged with Chamber.

I didn't want to want to see this, but honestly, I'm interested. On the other hand, I loved the idea (if not the execution) of Wild Wild West, so take that as you will.
I think you can find the original TV show "Wild Wild West" on DVD now. I've seen reruns, and it's a surprising good show for the 1960s.

DC has re-released many of Hex's adventures in graphic novels, so if you can find them they're worth a look. I suggest those penciled by Timothy Truman ... for a boy from WV, he's a damn fine comic artist.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

LadyTevar wrote:
Molyneux wrote:The only real experience I have with Jonah Hex is from the DCAU, and that one Amalgam 'verse comic where he was merged with Chamber.

I think you can find the original TV show "Wild Wild West" on DVD now. I've seen reruns, and it's a surprising good show for the 1960s.

DC has re-released many of Hex's adventures in graphic novels, so if you can find them they're worth a look. I suggest those penciled by Timothy Truman ... for a boy from WV, he's a damn fine comic artist.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for those.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Uh to quote Tev... SQUUUUEEEEEEE!!! Megan Fox! :luv:

I don't really see the 'try hard' factor people are talking about. Looks like Hex to me.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Funnily enough the problems I see with the film is they are trying to cram everything. Jonah Hex as a character and hell as a plot device is fantastic for adventures in the west, but like every other fucking origin we need to drag the HEINOUS EVIL MONSTER!!! villain for a reason only known to the writer.

I still see it sadder still that one of the best usage of Jonah Hex in another medium was a Batman animated episode wherein, he was the hero and had to save people from a nutjob. And in the end, the entire event had little to do with him.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I too was introduced to Hex through BTAS and love the character, but now seeing the full trailer...I just don't know...
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Is it weird that I had a dream that this actually got good reviews? I mean, I don't even plan on seeing it. I know I'm spamming, but I can't let that happen and not mention it to anyone.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Whiplash wrote:Is it weird that I had a dream that this actually got good reviews? I mean, I don't even plan on seeing it. I know I'm spamming, but I can't let that happen and not mention it to anyone.
That is very, very strange. Can't say that I don't hope it happens...though the saddle-mounted gatling guns do get a bit weirder every time I see them.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Anyone who is a fan of DC should hope this gets great reviews. Unlike Marvel, DC is tightly controlled, movie wise, by WB and Time-Warner, so if movies like this where they are trying to get peripheral characters out don't do well, don't count on any others following. And as far as DC/WB/TW are concerned, anyone that isn't Batman or Superman, is a peripheral character.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Heh, I have my doubts about that. He's a peripheral character, but I'd wager they're not counting on this doing that great. Green Lantern is where you should worry about an expanded DC Universe on screen.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

neoolong wrote:Heh, I have my doubts about that. He's a peripheral character, but I'd wager they're not counting on this doing that great. Green Lantern is where you should worry about an expanded DC Universe on screen.
Yeah, I think it's GL rather than Hex that's going to make or break the current attempts to build a DCU film-verse.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Clearly we must do our part to make Green Lantern a summer blockbuster. 8)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Clearly we must do our part to make Green Lantern a summer blockbuster. 8)
I've already got my Sinestro Corps shirt ready for a midnight showing... :twisted:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

When is it coming out? Has it even started production yet?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

It comes out next June. They're already filming.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Whiplash
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiplash »

Well the critics moved in, and the consensus is, this movie is absolute shit. Will I see it, eh maybe on HBO or something.
Downward fucking dog! ~ Travis Touchdown