The Last Airbender brand new trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

The Last Airbender brand new trailer

Post by Davis 51 »

And it's awesome!

As much as the pessimist in me tells me to not get excited, as so many trailers have made awful movies look good, I'd like my expectations to be met, just this once. I mean, the plotline looks extremely faithful to the show, the CGI and bending action looks top notch, the costumes/settings look great...you'd have to be an idiot to screw this up. Or, in this case, you'd have to be M. Night.

Seriously, this movie will probably make or break him. For the sake of the franchise, I hope it makes him.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Re: The Last Airbender brand new trailer

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Holy shit that's looking awsome, even if the acting sucks and is incredibly cheesy I will be watching this for the eye candy

I love people shooting fire/water/earth/air

Twists be damned!
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

And now it has been youtubified.

I read somewhere that the Trailer music is actually from James Newton Howard's score. If that is true, then we have a lot to look forward to, because the more I watch the trailer, the more I am impressed with the music.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

I noticed they seem to focus all the trailers on The Siege of the North. Funny that.

It looks good and I hope it ends up being good. I know the creators have been fairly heavily involved, so hopefully that'll mean something in the end.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Looks pretty sweet, hopefully they will have the tanks as well.

Mind you, i am still somewhat concerned over Sokka. I really hope they don't screw over his charecter.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Given his character was defined (by the character) as the "Meat and Sarcasm guy" and there's been a de-emphasis on comedy...

I worry too.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I am cautiously, very cautiously optimistic.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Erik von Nein wrote:I noticed they seem to focus all the trailers on The Siege of the North. Funny that.

It looks good and I hope it ends up being good. I know the creators have been fairly heavily involved, so hopefully that'll mean something in the end.
The main action set piece and climax of the first season was the siege of the north, all the other fights were minor skirmishes at best.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Koolaidkirby wrote:
Erik von Nein wrote:I noticed they seem to focus all the trailers on The Siege of the North. Funny that.

The main action set piece and climax of the first season was the siege of the north, all the other fights were minor skirmishes at best.
True, most of Book 1 isn't essential. But I think I we're all worried as to whether or not they'll be able to successfully condense Book 1 into a two-hour movie. I'm also worried about the sacrifice of characterization for the sake of plot.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The way I picture it currently, they'll be covering (to one degree or another) plot points from:
The first three episodes (Introducing the cast and premises)
The Southern Air Temple (Kinda of an important plot point, may cover the flashbacks seen in "The Storm" as well)
The Kyoshi Warriors (Suki is set to appear)
The Blue Spirit (seen in trailers)
The Waterbending Master
The Seige of the North 1 & 2

The only significant character lost is Jet. And I'm betting, for streamlining, the Kyoshi Warriors are now living at the base fo the Air Temple.

God, I'm plotting it out now, because from there, we can go directly into the Blue Spirit.

It's the second season that (if they make it) where I really foresee trouble in adapting to a single film.

We have to Introduce Ozai's Angels and Toph, get to Ba Sing Sei and deal with the city's fall, and Zuko's moral dilemma.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Majin Gojira wrote:God, I'm plotting it out now, because from there, we can go directly into the Blue Spirit.

It's the second season that (if they make it) where I really foresee trouble in adapting to a single film.

We have to Introduce Ozai's Angels and Toph, get to Ba Sing Sei and deal with the city's fall, and Zuko's moral dilemma.
Absolutely. This is where the Avatar films could run into the same problem the Harry Potter films have faced. I think an advantage they have, though, is that the story is complete and they know what they'll need whereas the HP films had to play catch up with the books.

On a side note, I hope Howard carries over the Avatar motif into his score; it's just not Avatar without that theme.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

What I hope they don't do is what they did with the Harry Potter books and rely on the audience's knowledge of the books to fill in gaps left due to time. Adapting an entire season of show into a 2 hour movie has always seemed like a fairly large hurdle.

So far as losing Jet he played a fairly large role at the end of season 2. If they do lose him I wonder how they'll change the events in Ba Sing Sei,
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Davis 51
Jedi Master

Post by Davis 51 »

JME2 wrote:On a side note, I hope Howard carries over the Avatar motif into his score; it's just not Avatar without that theme.
If you listen very carefully, its kinda sorta in the trailer, albeit very hidden. Of the four note motif, the middle two notes are kind of switched. It reminds me much of what they did to the Batman motif in TDK.
Brains!
"-Darth Wong
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Erik von Nein wrote:So far as losing Jet he played a fairly large role at the end of season 2. If they do lose him I wonder how they'll change the events in Ba Sing Sei,
Well, the Coup has to happen; it was the TESB of the series, showing that no one was safe and would be the perfect way to segue into the final film. I suspect the specifics of the Fall will be changed. Now, Jet's absence hurts the Dai Li storyline, but they can work around it. Hell, they're going to have to. They just can't eliminate the Dai Li or Long Feng because they were critical players in the Coup.
Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

Majin Gojira wrote:Given his character was defined (by the character) as the "Meat and Sarcasm guy" and there's been a de-emphasis on comedy...

I worry too.
+1. I did notice there wasn't one moment in the trailer where Aang was laughing or the group was just having some fun. What really attracted me to the cartoon was the humour and character development, not so much the action. I'm worried that this might turn into an overly serious action-only films.
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Oh come on; it's a high-fantasy epic blockbuster movie, what do people, especially kids, go to see those for? They have to show off the action and high fantasy epicness as much as they can in the trailers, I don't think you can conclude that it's all going to be depressing SRS BSNS just because it's playing to those strengths for two minutes.
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

speaker-to-trolls wrote:Oh come on; it's a high-fantasy epic blockbuster movie, what do people, especially kids, go to see those for? They have to show off the action and high fantasy epicness as much as they can in the trailers, I don't think you can conclude that it's all going to be depressing SRS BSNS just because it's playing to those strengths for two minutes.
You'd at least expect some funny, because although there was plenty of action, comedy was a constant presence in the series.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Vendetta wrote:
speaker-to-trolls wrote:Oh come on; it's a high-fantasy epic blockbuster movie, what do people, especially kids, go to see those for? They have to show off the action and high fantasy epicness as much as they can in the trailers, I don't think you can conclude that it's all going to be depressing SRS BSNS just because it's playing to those strengths for two minutes.
You'd at least expect some funny, because although there was plenty of action, comedy was a constant presence in the series.
Good point.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Vendetta wrote:
Very much this, I haven't seen any hint of the humor and general brightness (strictly speaking, grim-bright on the setting-alignment chart) of the cartoon world reaching the silver screen. Between that, the racial controversy, and Shammie's completely uncompromising self-defense and long streak of stinkers I'm uncharacteristically pessimistic.

I'll still watch it in theaters if anyone invites me, though.
Davis 51
Jedi Master

Post by Davis 51 »

OK, so the marketing boys at Paramount just released some new posters, the best two are here:

Domestic:

German (Template for international):
Brains!
"-Darth Wong
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Nice.
Manthor
Youngling

Post by Manthor »

http://www.racebending.com/

I'm going to avoid this movie for that and for the same reason I avoid most videogame-to-movie translations. Another reasons is the sheer arrogance of the casting and the implicit racism seen in an entire nation of "White People" liberating a country from "Darkies" who in Hollywood's eyes are nearly always evil.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I doubt I'll go and see it because I tend not to like derivative adaptations of existing narratives, or M Night Shyamalan movies.
Davis 51
Jedi Master

Post by Davis 51 »

Manthor wrote:http://www.racebending.com/

I'm going to avoid this movie for that and for the same reason I avoid most videogame-to-movie translations. Another reasons is the sheer arrogance of the casting and the implicit racism seen in an entire nation of "White People" liberating a country from "Darkies" who in Hollywood's eyes are nearly always evil.
To be honest, I've gotten into way too many arguments with retarded people from that site to keep giving a shit about the whole race debate. At first, I was with them, and I'd at least agree that Sokka and Katara were horribly miscast (I never had a problem with the kid playing Aang, he kinda looks at least half Asian, actually and Dev Patel as Zuko is a great choice). But the 'movement', at this point has become less about racial awareness and more about a personal blood vendetta against anyone involved with the movie. At no less than 3 separate occasions have I been called a racist because I didn't tow their line that Paramount hates Asian people and M. Night is an Uncle Tom, even after it was revealed that the so-called 'damning' casting calls calling for caucasians were revealed to have been done by an outside company without Paramount's knowledge and the final casting was hand-picked by M. Night himself.

I am sympathetic to the people who think Sokka and Katara should have been cast as Inuits. I really am, and they really should have. But this retarded internet 'movement' that at this point has become a vehicle to damn any cast member who isn't Asian has gotten on my nerves to the point where I'm seriously considering buying extra tickets just to piss them off.

That, and Zuko is not a villain. :P

Edit: Minor grammar fixes.
Brains!
"-Darth Wong
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Davis 51 wrote: That, and Zuko is not a villain. :P
He is in this film. It's season 1.

I also still think his scar should look more vivid.