Wreck it Ralph

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Wreck it Ralph

Post by Zor »

The Idea, a Toy Story movie focused around video game characters. A bad guy from an old arcade standup game similar to Donkey Kong decides that he is fed up with being forced to get thrown off a building and disliked all the time so he decides to try to become a a Video Game hero.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Re: Wreck it Ralph

Post by Sidewinder »

Seems fun. Is this a SERIOUS effort, i.e., Disney is actually planning to put this in theaters? Or is this a fan creation, as the cameos- Bowser, M. Bison/Vega, and other characters to whom royalties must be paid to the copyright holders- suggest?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Disney releases fan films in theaters in Real3D now?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Could be they'll be doing the same rights acquiring that they did for the Toy Story movies, as they have the proof that if a character shows in their movies, it does amazingly well. Mr. Potato Head being a prime example.

This does look good, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

Sidewinder wrote:Seems fun. Is this a SERIOUS effort, i.e., Disney is actually planning to put this in theaters? Or is this a fan creation, as the cameos- Bowser, M. Bison/Vega, and other characters to whom royalties must be paid to the copyright holders- suggest?
The relevant Wikipedia article is approximately one year old and is thoroughly sourced. If this is a fan-film/joke, it is an exceptionally well done one.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Sidewinder wrote:Seems fun. Is this a SERIOUS effort, i.e., Disney is actually planning to put this in theaters? Or is this a fan creation, as the cameos- Bowser, M. Bison/Vega, and other characters to whom royalties must be paid to the copyright holders- suggest?
Its Legit.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Wow... this is... epic.

Though when you think about it, Disney isn't too shy to make crossovers with other companies characters. There was Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Toy Story (with all the toys), Kingdom Hearts, and that one Cartoon All-Stars drug PSA thing that wasn't very good.

Though I'm curious how terrible the inevitable "video game based on the movie" is going to be. Hopefully not as bad as making a FPS based on the Battleship movie. I mean it shouldn't be too bad if all these video game companies are involved but we all know movie based games are always terrible.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Chun-Li and Bison? This is going to be good :twisted:

I wonder though, is it recolored "blood" when Ralph hits the pavement after losing game? And who is blue skinned elf lady in the villain meeting? I can't recall her. Original character? How come no one made frame-by-frame analysis on any of the major gaming sites yet?

Edit: Rossum, Disney seems to already made game based on the movie :wink:
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Man, they got someone from pretty much every major gaming company from the beginning through the early 90s represented. Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Bandai-Namco, Midway (A Warner Brothers subsidiary these days). . .

All we need now is someone from Squarenix to show up and the thing will be complete. Not that they really do arcade style games . . .

But if Sora shows up, I think the universe will implode.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

No, for the fan creation you want this one:

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Majin Gojira wrote:All we need now is someone from Squarenix to show up and the thing will be complete. Not that they really do arcade style games . . .

But if Sora shows up, I think the universe will implode.
No, what really will make universe explode is appearance of TF2 characters. Sniper? Spy? Heavy?

"Right behind you" would make noise of a million geeks crying in joy then suddenly being silenced :P
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I don't know, the concept's been done a few times. But it seems funny and whimsical enough. If I remember and have some money when it comes out, I'll likely see it.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Vendetta wrote:
No, for the fan creation you want this one:

Thanks. I enjoyed that video a lot. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Seems based on Kid Radd. Miss that webcomic.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

New Trailer up. Looks good. Felix's last line is pure win :D

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

"Why do I fix everything I touch?" :lol:

Well that is one situation where an ordinary hammer is much better than a magic "fix-it" hammer.

How did they ever get releases for all of those villains?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Same way they got the releases for all the Warner Brother folks in Roger Rabbit.
Lots and LOTS of Money!!!! :lol:

Have to say it is looking to be a very good movie. Almost looks like it could have been done by Pixar, which is saying something.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Ahriman238 wrote:How did they ever get releases for all of those villains?
Perhaps by citing Toy Story? They're giving game companies free product placement that even gets featured in the trailer - how could you say no to that?
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Post by fordlltwm »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Same way they got the releases for all the Warner Brother folks in Roger Rabbit.

Have to say it is looking to be a very good movie. Almost looks like it could have been done by Pixar, which is saying something.
Don't disney own Pixar these days anyway? thus it probably is being done by Pixar.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Pixar or not, this looks like it's going to be a great movie. Nit and I are already planning to see it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

fordlltwm wrote:thus it probably is being done by Pixar.
It's not a Pixar film, though John Lasseter is involved as producer. It's an in-house Disney animated film.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Same way they got the releases for all the Warner Brother folks in Roger Rabbit.
Plus with video games its free advertisement.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Wow.. Hollywood had an original idea...

I'll be waiting for this one.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Definitely a good movie, if not up to WALL-E or Toy Story standards (which is hardly a sin). The references, while plentiful are not intrusive. Sergent Calhoun is awesome, Fix It Felix has plenty of good moments and is charming and the Relationship between Ralph and Vanelope, which carries much of the film works well and is charming.

Their is also a rather good minimalist cartoon that they show beforehand called Paperboy. Cheesy but well executed.

If you have kids or like animation watch it.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I really enjoyed it. While I obviously was giving it a lot of unfair +1's for all the video game tie-in gags, I think it really does a nice job of handling itself independent of the theme. Solid characterization, and while it had a problematic section where I felt it was unfairly giving a "know your place" message, the movie came back around and everyone got treated more fairly at the end. I would have liked if there had been a stronger Mea Culpa by the responsible parties so I knew they actually understood why what they were doing was hurtful. There's a few places they could have done that. But it was a really nice movie, a