The Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Re: The Girl Genius Thread

Post by Bedlam »

Molyneux wrote:
Alyeska wrote:The Girl Genius novels go into more detail about Boris. He is a very intelligent individual. He does not want to rule the Empire, but he believes in it whole heartedly and is very loyal to the Baron. He is extremely observant and runs the day to day elements of the Empire for the Baron. He most certainly is noticing the changes with the Baron and would be extremely alarmed to see the Wasp Eaters being hunted down.
Beware above all else the secretary...he's always the guy who knows what actually goes on behind the scenes. If anyone can tell that Wulfenbach is acting strangely, it'll be him. Keep in mind just how much of the Empire's administration already went through his four capable hands.
Which is why I would expect him to be wasped or disapeared as quickly as possible with the others control of the Baron. I wonder why nothing seems to have happened to him?
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

The Other doesn't realize who's the power behind the scenes. The Baron is sly enough himself. He attempted to warn Gil.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

We saw in a Jaeger's flashback/description that Lucrecia is more likely to ignore/abuse underlings than pay attention to them. That is her blind spot, and one way the Baron can thwart her for a little while.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

A second love triangle. But this one promises to be far more amusing.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I feel that in a few months to a year, we will have a scene with Agatha and von Zinzer drinking together, lamenting over their shared troubles. This will, of course, solidify his position as Chief Minion.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

You assume the story will have moved that fast in a year.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Heh... you have to laugh at the Mechanisburg citizens. They are as crazy as their masters.
Although, you have to wonder how long the deluge device had been in service, and which 'Dyne built it. Obviously the Baron had no clue about it.

Wonder what C-gas was....

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

C-Gas was used earlier to knock out non-constructs (D-Gas is used on them).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

LadyTevar wrote:Heh... you have to laugh at the Mechanisburg citizens. They are as crazy as their masters.
Although, you have to wonder how long the deluge device had been in service, and which 'Dyne built it. Obviously the Baron had no clue about it.

Wonder what C-gas was....
It's the knockout gas the Baron's Jaegers used on Agatha way back when she and Zinzer were first captured.

Also, the city can fire buildings at attackers!?

I presume saturating the city with knockout gas was part of the Baron's new "I need her alive" plan. It seems he really doesn't know a ton about Mechanicsburg, the Castle and defenses.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

I was under the impression that the Baron, while not wanting Agatha killed anymore, actually wants her free - or at least, nowhere near him. He already has to deal with one copy of the Other giving him wasp-orders, he doesn't want any more. He changed the rules of engagement after everybody was ready to liquefy/thunder-bee/whatever the town. He could have changed it earlier - he already knew Agatha hosted the Other. He deliberately left it as late as possible to go against "every military strategist for the last five hundred years," to buy time for Agatha and Gil. He didn't have to change as much of the plan as he did - "completely rearrange our strategy."

Now he's trying to find ways of curing Agatha, has told people that Gil is infected with a Spark-wasp - which ensures that Sparks all over Europa will be trying to find a cure and/or vaccine, out of enlightened self-interest, if nothing else - while acting in a manner that has to be suspicious to his closest advisors (see Boris) and most likely arranged for the wasp-eaters to be available to Mechanicsburg, all while following Lucrezia's orders exactly at every step of the way.

"Get rid of the wasp-eaters and kill their handlers? Yes, mistress."
"Attack them... now!"
"But sir, they'll run straight for Mechanicsburg!"
"They have been suborned, we must kill them IMMEDIATELY!"
"...yes, Baron."
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Something big is happening since the Torchmen have been unleashed.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

RecklessPrudence wrote:I was under the impression that the Baron, while not wanting Agatha killed anymore, actually wants her free - or at least, nowhere near him. He already has to deal with one copy of the Other giving him wasp-orders, he doesn't want any more. He changed the rules of engagement after everybody was ready to liquefy/thunder-bee/whatever the town. He could have changed it earlier - he already knew Agatha hosted the Other. He deliberately left it as late as possible to go against "every military strategist for the last five hundred years," to buy time for Agatha and Gil. He didn't have to change as much of the plan as he did - "completely rearrange our strategy."

Now he's trying to find ways of curing Agatha, has told people that Gil is infected with a Spark-wasp - which ensures that Sparks all over Europa will be trying to find a cure and/or vaccine, out of enlightened self-interest, if nothing else - while acting in a manner that has to be suspicious to his closest advisors (see Boris) and most likely arranged for the wasp-eaters to be available to Mechanicsburg, all while following Lucrezia's orders exactly at every step of the way.

"Get rid of the wasp-eaters and kill their handlers? Yes, mistress."
"Attack them... now!"
"But sir, they'll run straight for Mechanicsburg!"
"They have been suborned, we must kill them IMMEDIATELY!"
"...yes, Baron."
The Baron would be one of those who can follow the commands to the letter and still skirt around the restrictions.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

Yep, that's the impression I got from him, too.

There's few that can foil your plans as thoroughly as an apparently loyal subordinate who follows your orders to the letter.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

You've got to love any series that can use the line 'These are no ordinary subterranean Mecha-Narwhals!' with a straight face 8)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You gotta love an Abbess who calls for her Charger, then demands the (mecha)Paladins be outfitted for "Sustained Smiting"

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Now I know what I'll call my next sword... Seriously - that's the best name EVAH!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

You have to love a series that can joke about Occam's razor being a physical object. :P
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Because dot ting ken cut through ANYTING! :lol:
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

It appears the Baron is following orders to the letter while still screwing with Lucrezias plans. But the way Krosp and Agatha are talking, it's like they don't know the Baron was wasped. I don't know that Tervak told them.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Best way to get people to celebrate the return of a monarch, ever.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The way it sounds, he was HOPING she'd want to roll in the treasure. He sounds rather disappointed to go back to fighting.

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I love his way of making people rejoice. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Maybe the Baron cannot kill Agatha if he has received word that she's the hive queen.

...is Tarvek going to sacrifice himself?
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

That would probably resolve the love-triangle thing too early.

More likely, I am guessing that the Castle wants a different kind of spark.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You forget, when the Castle was still broken, it was requesting Sparks to fix it. That's why the Baron imprisoned all those people to begin with.