The Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

The Girl Genius Thread

Post by fgalkin »

In the vein of the Order of the Stick thread, I was wondering if anyone here was reading GG.

If not, Girl Genius is a fun steampunk/fantasy style adventure comic with Mad Science. It's really quite good and you should read it.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Girl Genius Thread

Post by Imperial Overlord »

*Puts on fancy hat* Girl Genius is great stuff. Go House Wulfenbach!
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Every few months I try to catch up on it, but somehow the characters are all too annoying and the story seems overcomplicated - or maybe just muddled, I suppose there isn't that much going on. The art style is nice, if busy.

The webcomic that we most need a thread on is Schlock Mercenary, or if you're restricting it to fantasy, Gunnerkrigg Court. :)
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Starglider wrote:Every few months I try to catch up on it, but somehow the characters are all too annoying and the story seems overcomplicated - or maybe just muddled, I suppose there isn't that much going on. The art style is nice, if busy.

The webcomic that we most need a thread on is Schlock Mercenary, or if you're restricting it to fantasy, Gunnerkrigg Court. :)
Gave the GG comic a shot, and hated every second of it. This is one of those "you like it or you don't" things as far as I can tell, but I don't even like the art, I think that the characters spend less time on model than off--and even when they're on model they look like some kind of quasi-human biological horror. While it's not my cup of tea, the Gunnerkrigg Court thing is at least very pretty to look at, so that's somethin'!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Covenant wrote:I think that the characters spend less time on model than off--and even when they're on model they look like some kind of quasi-human biological horror.
Similarly, GG's characterisation is enthusiastic, but not consistent.
While it's not my cup of tea, the Gunnerkrigg Court thing is at least very pretty to look at, so that's somethin'!
GC's art isn't just pretty, it's also very varied, and it's one of the few webcomics that effectively use surrealist art in a serious story.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Here's a thing. I have the first book, have talked with the Foglios and think they're swell people. I wear goggles more often than I should. I think things made out of impractical boilers are whimsical and awesome.

Yet, I can't really find the motivation to get into it. My friends gush about it, but I can't read more than a few pages before something just stops me from really getting into it, so I get distracted. At least one factor I think is the artwork, since everyone is an amorphous shapeshifter that changes proportion from frame to frame, but everything besides the faces seems more or less okay...

So I guess I don't know. But the comic really has great 'jumbled detail' art for when it comes to that.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Total agreement with the above poster. I've got detailed blueprints of a fleet of steam-powered aetherships for a comic that runs on an alternate set of physical laws, I wear three piece suits and ascots as casual dress, and I own four top hats, but I can't seem to get into it.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Starglider wrote:
Covenant wrote:I think that the characters spend less time on model than off--and even when they're on model they look like some kind of quasi-human biological horror.
Similarly, GG's characterisation is enthusiastic, but not consistent.
Interesting. Can you provide an example?
While it's not my cup of tea, the Gunnerkrigg Court thing is at least very pretty to look at, so that's somethin'!
GC's art isn't just pretty, it's also very varied, and it's one of the few webcomics that effectively use surrealist art in a serious story.
I've started reading that comic- I'm ambivalent about the art, but then I am also ambivalent about GG art. I do have a question, however: does Antimony generally keep making the correct decision in any situation, and how long will this go on for?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Imperial Overlord wrote:*Puts on fancy hat* Girl Genius is great stuff. Go House Wulfenbach!
"Any plan where you lose your hat is a bad plan !"

I love GG. And the previously mentioned Schlock Mercenary as it happens.

As for the art, clearly that's a matter of taste; I like it.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Well, Ch 15 is all about Annie and Kat misunderstanding a situation. Also haircuts. She doesn't handle 19 very well at all. In Ch 21 she screws up pretty big, but it's okay by the end.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Alan Bolte wrote:Well, Ch 15 is all about Annie and Kat misunderstanding a situation. Also haircuts. She doesn't handle 19 very well at all. In Ch 21 she screws up pretty big, but it's okay by the end.
It began grating on me by Chapter 3, I don't think I'll last that long.

EDIT: Definitely not going to last that long. Generally mediocre writing is to blame- I can't think of a single moment that stood out in a good way.

Strips like this do nothing to endear the comic too me. And someone please explain the science fair arc to me. Just HOW was Kat able to construct a zero-gravity device with a thermos and a coat hanger, why was everyone only moderately impressed, why doesn't Kat build more weird shit, etc. Will we ever get answers to those questions? Possibly, but I'm not inclined to stick around to find out. Fans of the comics, a little help here?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

I would guess everyone was only moderately impressed because so much weird shit happens in that school that it's only one more thing. I mean, when you're surrounded by mythical creatures, intelligent robots, grumpy telepaths, demonic plush toys, and so forth, a student who can make seemingly magical devices is just above average.

I was mainly thinking of chapters I'd read more recently. Finish chapter 7 if you want to see her acting like an idiot and getting tossed off a bridge.
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I really like GG. Its got an interesting setting, interesting characters (to me anyway), very nice art and unlike many other web comics regular updates.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

guys, what's immigration's stand on that pack of Jaegars I've got living next door?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I'm also quite a bit into GG. I love the setting, and how wonderfully complex it is. The whole steampunk-fantasy is done in a compelling manner.

Naysayers might criticize the art, but not everyone was born with the heavenly sent hands of Jack Kirby, and the Foglio's art style is effective, and fun to watch.

Now, I'd hate to see this thread devolve into a "I like/dislike GG" match, so, anyone got theories about what the heck happened to the Heterodyne boys?
unsigned
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Alan Bolte wrote:I would guess everyone was only moderately impressed because so much weird shit happens in that school that it's only one more thing. I mean, when you're surrounded by mythical creatures, intelligent robots, grumpy telepaths, demonic plush toys, and so forth, a student who can make seemingly magical devices is just above average.

I was mainly thinking of chapters I'd read more recently. Finish chapter 7 if you want to see her acting like an idiot and getting tossed off a bridge.
Got as far as Chapter 12. The eyeless girl and her Polish friend are moderately interesting, but that is about the only thing that held my interest. I think by this point I can say that GC is not my cup of tea.
LordOskuro wrote:Now, I'd hate to see this thread devolve into a "I like/dislike GG" match, so, anyone got theories about what the heck happened to the Heterodyne boys?
The Dragons from Mars ate them, clearly! :D

On a more serious note, we sorta know what happened with Mommy Dearest, so I suppose Bill is either dead or a revenant. Barry, not sure. Probably still out there somewhere. There isn't really that much evidence we have to go on.

It's much more fun to speculate on the current plot developments! Zola, Revenant or the Other herself?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

GG is a nice piece of work, but for artwork reasons, I appreciate The Phoenix Requiem way more.

It is hard to compare them storywise, but the artwork is way more superior IMO.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Wow, the Phoenix Requiem art is really amazing. Is the story any good?

Like I said, I'm not that impressed with GG art myself, but it's adequate to tell the story, so it gets a passing grade from me. It's the setting and recently, the story, that are GG's strongest points.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

fgalkin wrote:Wow, the Phoenix Requiem art is really amazing. Is the story any good?
It is hard to say. There are a lot of very interesting characters, but the story is not fleshed out and the comic is at the early stages of story development.

If you like that kind of art in print form, you should seriously check out the works of Roger Leloup - best drawer of detail I have ever seen.
Like I said, I'm not that impressed with GG art myself, but it's adequate to tell the story, so it gets a passing grade from me. It's the setting and recently, the story, that are GG's strongest points.
Certainly.

While we are at it, a webcomic to stay the heck away from (unless you want to get an aneurysm of all the historical mistakes) is The Dreamer.

A piece of dreck and "RAH RAH USA" all the way through.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

I love the comic, and my current speculation is what the heck Robo-Other is up to at this moment. It's entirely possible that she's backing the efforts to take the castle, but it seems much more likely that she's using them as a smokescreen if so, rather than an effort that's intended to succeed.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

so howlong before Tevar Hetrodyne shows up in this thread?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:so howlong before Tevar Hetrodyne shows up in this thread?
As long as it took me to see it, of course. :twisted:

Yes, I'm another Girl Genius Fangrrl. I see many of you have complained about the artwork. I, however, having grown up with "Phil and Dixie" in Dragon Magazine, as well as Phil's artwork for Magic:the Gathering and other cardgames, find it fun, cartoony and perfectly suited to a dramatic comedy such as GG.

This is not Boris Valejo, folks. This is not Sprite-based, or CGI. This is a hand-drawn cartoon that he's been doing for close to a Decade (if not more), and it's vastly improved with Color, believe me. :grin:

Storywise, you can't really get much better. Missing Princess finds her true self... with complications along the way. (The complications are half the fun, as always.) Agatha is not a one-dimensional cutout, but a young woman who's been growing mentally and physically as the story has passed. Yes, she's had her "damsel in distress" moments, but the Hetrodyne Castle storyline is showing her best qualities. (even her crush on Gilgimesh).
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Yeah, she's definitely grown a lot. And it's quite amusing how GIL, the son of the tyrant, is by far the nicest person in the comic. :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

fgalkin wrote: Got as far as Chapter 12. The eyeless girl and her Polish friend are moderately interesting, but that is about the only thing that held my interest. I think by this point I can say that GC is not my cup of tea.
Fair enough. And yeah, I love Zimmy. Ch 19 is another Zimmy and Gamma Chapter. She appears starting here.

Also a PR reader. Sometimes I briefly confuse the female characters, but otherwise I like the art.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

fgalkin wrote:It's much more fun to speculate on the current plot developments! Zola, Revenant or the Other herself?
Not enough data, I think. But I suspect she's going to blindside Gil, Agatha or both. Clearly they both buy into her imitation of a relatively harmless fool ( unless Gil thinks about how she ruthlessly shot a guy earlier ); but she's actually a casual killer who likes to play stupid. Agatha doesn't know Zola, and Gil is at least partly going on his impressions from the old days, when she was either less dangerous or he never saw her drop the mask. Or maybe she IS a Revenant now or something.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers