The Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: The Girl Genius Thread

Post by Enigma »

Crayz9000 wrote:... yeah. I'm surprised that nobody caught that sooner. I mean, seriously? Fleur-de-Lys and the first thought is that it's the British?
I've seen them on some British coat of arms and so forth.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

HA! I was right!
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

And the Baron plays his hand. Looks like the Knights of Jove are a bit screwed, unless they have an ace in the hole.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Baron is playing with a loaded deck, I think.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Using the Heterodyne as a way to winnow the chaff, so to speak? It certainly gives the Baron the ability to grind down the forces of his more uppity subjects by pitting them against those directly opposed to him. In the end, he comes out of it with nigh-unchallenged dominance. Or so that seems to be the plan.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Nah, I think its part of his plan to undermine/get out of the Other's domination of him.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

He's apparently gathered troops from all the furthest corners of the Empire to this one spot. So they'll all be immediately obliged to swear fealty to Gil when the time comes? Perhaps to break the power of the Empire forever?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Hmmm. So the Baron has indeed noticed that the Castle is unpowered at the moment. This could go any way now...
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I wonder if the castle is just playing possum right now. Waiting for the right moment to spring its trap. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

No, the castle needs a spark, as in a spark of electricity to jump start it's systems.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

So...what's the bet that Agatha is madly running around putting up things which seem to have no purpose.....The Baron (Or more likely some other numb-nut Spark who also twigs to the Castle's seeming lapse) fires off a tumultuous salvo of fire-power (Leading into a HUGE cliff hanger, of course) only to have Agatha rig things up so as to use the incoming energy to be transferred into the kick-start?

(Along with all sorts of collateral mayhem, too boot) ? :mrgreen:

Much cheers to all.
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I don't know what a Dreen is, but anything that terrifies a Jaeger into panicking and flight can't be good.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

I had to look them up, too - even though I only recently read Agatha H. and the Airship City. Here's the Girl Genius wiki article. Might be a reason the Baron doesn't want them on Castle Wulfenbach, from the way they seem to scare Slaver Wasps.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Why do I have the feeling that one of the Knights of Jove is about to be brutally slaughtered?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Um...I don't think the creature will stop at just one.

Still, a useful way of showing just how bad these things are.
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Dass.Kapital wrote:Um...I don't think the creature will stop at just one.

Still, a useful way of showing just how bad these things are.
True, seeing that there are two of them.

And yeah, that knight is screwed. Nice of him to help and I definitely like how he went about it. :)

Unless the first Dreen is dead, it will shred that knight into pieces seeing that their fingers can cut through slaver carapace with ease.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Or...that Knight just falls over dead and every one else is all "Oh...fuuu..."

Still...we shall read. We shall be educated and we shall be entertained.:)
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I wonder if we'll get to see the Dreen without that black suit. The Knight already knocked its hat off.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I wonder if the Dreen are scary because of what they can do or if they generate some sort of 'fear field', I think it might be more likely the latter, I wouldn't think the slaver wasps would have the brains to be scared of something because it can kill them.

Would also explain the Jaeger reaction when they normally like fighting more powerful things.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Depends. Do we see these sort of fear-fields or similar stuff elsewhere in the series? If not, it is unlikely that the Dreen rely on make-believe fear. Considering that they do seem to just tap their way through the slayer wasps while under attack, I would wager that they have pretty genuine teeth to their bite.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

When did we last see the Dreen? Or was this in the novel?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Darmalus wrote:When did we last see the Dreen? Or was this in the novel?
I believe the last time and only time we've seen them was when the slavers were running around Castle Wulfenbach (That main airship) early in the webcomic.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Ah, in the famous, semi-last words of a wonderful character....

"So that's what it does..."

:mrgreen:

Much cheers to all.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What did I tell you? That's quite a dramatically well-placed bite too!
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Obviously Tweedle has no fuckin' clue what these things do, or he'd not have thought he won. Also.. "by the grace of god and will of Europa"? *snort* Tarvek's got the MUSES on his side, and his ever-so-great grandfather's notes on how to replicate them.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet