Recommend an Anime for my Boyfriend

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Recommend an Anime for my Boyfriend

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I love most Animes, usually giant Robot animes or ones with spaceships, MY boyfriend, hes more into violence and explosions and action an such.. And, while there are lots of anime like that, the one thing he tells me he can't stand is the 'anime' part. IE Cutesy smiles or cutesy people, girls, etc... I remembered when I tried to get him to watch 'Escaflowne" what I consider to be a Classic. And it has action, adventure, and giant Robots... From his view it was mostly about a whiny Highschool girl and a goofy catgirl... Which, it kinda was, but that aspect ruined everything else for him and we could never finish it. An example of something he DID like was
Armitage" as well as "Ghost in the Shell" which are both highly devoid of ANY sort of 'cutsey'-ness.

I am thinking he MIGHT get into Cowboy Bebop, but Incredable Ed worries me... After that I dont know so Im going to you all for ideas.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Recommend an Anime for my Boyfriend

Oh hell this was supposed to be posted in Fantasy... Can i get a thread Mover?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Berserk. Extreme violence, but it may not have the requisite explosions.
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

Samurai Champloo?

If you want more classic, try the original Mobile Suit Gundam? Or maybe the movie Jin Roh. As far as Cowboy Bebop, I have yet to meet someone who dislikes it, even those who hate the 'cutsey' stuff, etc, Ed doesn't get on their nerves that much. In fact, many of those same people have said Ed was their favorite character.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Finding an anime devoid of cutesyness is pretty hard because that's how most of the mangaka try to attract their Japanese audience.

You could try Fullmetal Alchemist. Some decent action in there, though one of the few animes with a strong story. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood just started up as well.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Hes actually watched one or two episodes of FMA And says he might like it but its one of the ones I don't own. (obviously I've been thinking of getting it.)
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Hes actually watched one or two episodes of FMA And says he might like it but its one of the ones I don't own. (obviously I've been thinking of getting it.)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (which may follow the manga more, but I suspect a different ending) ought to be showing up on Adult Swim soon, since Funianimation licensed it.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Sounds like Spriggan may be up his alley, if he hadn't seen it already.

Here's a cool clip for your perusal: HERE.

Also, check out Blood: The Last Vampire.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Damaramu wrote:Sounds like Spriggan may be up his alley, if he hadn't seen it already.
Spriggan is a great action movie, and it has one of the few dubs I recommend, purely for Jean-Jacques Mondo's amazing amazing French accent. :D
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Fansubs are illegal. Do not post links to sites that have them here. You have been warned.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

My recommendations are of almost completely serious actiony anime are:

-Legend of the Galactic heroes (space opera, epic battles, excellently written, intelligent characters, good plot twists, it is a bit old though, but dont let the name turn you off) info ---> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=1786

-Gungrave (while it does start off slow it really picks up, mafia/zombie/monster shoot'em'up type show, starts with characters in their teens and ends with them as old men) info ----> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=2635

-Berserk (medieval fantasy, byronic hero, very good ending =D, manga goes on alot more if you want the whole story though)
info ----> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=328

-jinroh the wolf brigate (movie, a bit on the thinking/morality tale side tho)

-Gantz (cant really describe this with anything but awesome, alien/shooter type but really well written, constant revolving cast as old characters die and new ones are introduced) ---> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=3641

-Afro Samurai (only a 4-5 episode mini series, but its got Samuel L Jackson in the dub,(one of the few where the dub is better than reading subs)

and for the love of god make him watch gurren laggan :p, it'll open him up to the anime that aren't horribly depressing (which most anime without the cutesyness usually is, mind you that isn't necessarily bad, some of the greatest stories can be horribly depressing)
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

fgalkin wrote:Fansubs are illegal. Do not post links to sites that have them here. You have been warned.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
you are aware of sites like crunchyroll that post anime with the permission of the anime creators and fansub them with their permission?
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Koolaidkirby wrote:
fgalkin wrote:Fansubs are illegal. Do not post links to sites that have them here. You have been warned.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
you are aware of sites like crunchyroll that post anime with the permission of the anime creators and fansub them with their permission?
What are the views of the copyrights holder on the matter?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

fgalkin wrote:
Koolaidkirby wrote:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
What are the views of the copyrights holder on the matter?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
they do it with their consent, and they get a slice of the sites advertising/member fees as far as I'm aware.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Why has there been no mention of Gurren Lagann?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

He might appreciate Death Note, and I don't know if it's really considered anime but Afro Samurai is like throwing a razor studded razor into a barrel of kittens. And it has Samuel goddamn Jackson.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Why has there been no mention of Gurren Lagann?
Someone doesn't know how to read. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

General Zod wrote:
I don't see any mention of Gurren Lagann.

I see talk about other anime.

You don't talk about other anime and THEN talk about Gurren Lagann.

You just talk about Gurren Lagann.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
General Zod wrote:
I don't see any mention of Gurren Lagann.

I see talk about other anime.

You don't talk about other anime and THEN talk about Gurren Lagann.

You just talk about Gurren Lagann.
and for the love of god make him watch gurren laggan
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Koolaidkirby wrote:Gungrave
Gungrave is good stuff, but for God's sake, don't start with episode one. Start with the second episode.

Also, guys, while I like Gurren Lagann, and while it has huge mass appeal with great numbers of idiots, it's not the sort of show you just throw people into. It has lightning fast pacing, colourful, interesting art and likeable, occassionally deep characters, but it's frenetic beyond all belief, often quite goofy and an extended pastiche of super robot cliches and homages. It's not the sort of thing you recommend to a guy who liked Ghost in the Shell and didn't like Escaflowne. I actually would suggest Cowboy Bebop, simply because it's easily accessible compared to a lot of stuff and it has very high quality even after twelve years or so. Crossroad's boyfriend might not like it because of Ed and Ein, but they're eased into the show pretty well and they're not exactly jarring.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Though it is AFAIK fansub only, I found Viper's Creed to be a pretty good series, if short (12 episodes).
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
pj1351
Youngling

Post by pj1351 »

Black Lagoon.
Guns, knives and explosions, a Terminator tribute (with a maid!). While the Engrish in the Japanese language track later on in the second season is pretty godawful, the closest thing to "cutesy" in this series is a pair of very young axe-and-heavy-machinegun-wielding killer twins who are utterly messed up in the head due to being forced to kill people in snuff movies when they were even younger.

Speed Grapher.
A war photographer whose defining moment in life is taking a picture of the very moment someone is killed in a war zone, infiltrates a secret society for the ultra-rich when he ends up receiving the supernatural power to literally kill by taking photographs with cameras, and decides to free and protect the mysterious girl who gave him the power against others who has received similar powers, each power uniquely based on the recipient's darkest desire. And it has Duran Duran's "Girls on Film" as OP music. :lol:
"Those Chinese f..kers are trying to rat-f..k us," -credited to Kevin Rudd, the former Prime Minister of Australia :lol:
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Shit, no one's mentioned Akira? Not only do we have the requisite violence and death, but we also get the awesome psychological angle of a troubled young man getting immense psychic powers and proceeding to destroy everything in a quest for vengeance and his regression as the powers become too much for him to handle.

The Guyver is also great, although I heavily support the new one over the old one, both due to quality, length, and lack of cheesiness.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

fgalkin wrote:What are the views of the copyrights holder on the matter?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Crunchyroll was granted the rights by certain companies, who license anime, to stream anime via a paid service.
Kreia
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Akhlut wrote:Shit, no one's mentioned Akira? Not only do we have the requisite violence and death, but we also get the awesome psychological angle of a troubled young man getting immense psychic powers and proceeding to destroy everything in a quest for vengeance and his regression as the powers become too much for him to handle.
Akira's incredibly overrated; I suspect it largely enjoys its status due to being one of the first anime brought over.