Doomsday in New York

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Bilbo
Jedi Master

Doomsday in New York

Post by Bilbo »

Doomsday wakes up like he did when we first met him. He smashes his way out of the box and for whatever reason heads east. This time though he is heading towards New York because this is the Marvel Universe.

So what hero or mix of heroes that normally hang out in the New York area step up and take down Doomsday.

This is the Doomsday of "The Death of Superman". Anything released by DC after that miniseries does not exist. Any weaknesses, history, etc, does not exist. Doomsday is a killing machine that bitch slapped the Justice League and killed Superman.

Who stops him in New York? Or if none of the locals are tough enough, what heroes that randonly wander the planet might be in New York that could stop him?

To make it a little easier this happens today. Right this moment. So all Marvel heroes exist as they do in their most current state. So things like World War Hulk, which I believe has been burned? out of Banner is not there to take on Doomsday. Instead it would be whatever current powerlevel Hulk exists.
I KILL YOU!!!
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Re: Doomsday in New York

Post by SylasGaunt »

Sentry could probably manage provided there's no reason for him not to just throw Doomsday into the sun.

Franklin Richards could potentially just blip him out of existence IIRC. Sue might be able to do something nasty as well if she's sufficiently pissed off and Doomsday's brain is sufficiently squishy.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

SylasGaunt wrote:Sentry could probably manage provided there's no reason for him not to just throw Doomsday into the sun.
Like he did with Hulk, after the heroes managed to get him to stop being crazy for 3 minutes?
Franklin Richards could potentially just blip him out of existence IIRC.
Franklin lost his powers ages ago.
Sue might be able to do something nasty as well if she's sufficiently pissed off and Doomsday's brain is sufficiently squishy.
He's one big solid mass (Don't ask how that works), I doubt there's anything squishy in him.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

DEATH wrote: Like he did with Hulk, after the heroes managed to get him to stop being crazy for 3 minutes?
The difference of course being that Hulk is a onetime friend and ally. He knows Hulk, he knows why Hulk is doing what he's doing and Hulk has some good reasons. He does not know doomsday, has not fought side by side with doomsday, has not had his evil alter ego torture doomsday, and doomsday has no motivations at this point beyond RAR kill kill kill.
Franklin lost his powers ages ago.
Ah, would this be something Wanda related? I don't really keep up with the FF.
He's one big solid mass (Don't ask how that works), I doubt there's anything squishy in him.
[/quote][/quote]

Is that something they go over in his original appearance?
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

SylasGaunt wrote:
DEATH wrote:
Is that something they go over in his original appearance?
In the novelization Superman scans him with Xray vision and sees he is one solid mass with no organs.
I KILL YOU!!!
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Bilbo wrote:So what hero or mix of heroes that normally hang out in the New York area step up and take down Doomsday.
The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, Dr. Strange, Spiderman, and Daredevil are all residents; I'm sure there are more. Any or all of these would likely attempt to stop Doomsday.

Now that I think about it, the X-Men aren't all that far away.
Bilbo wrote:This is the Doomsday of "The Death of Superman". Anything released by DC after that miniseries does not exist. Any weaknesses, history, etc, does not exist. Doomsday is a killing machine that bitch slapped the Justice League and killed Superman.

Who stops him in New York? Or if none of the locals are tough enough, what heroes that randonly wander the planet might be in New York that could stop him?
Dr. Strange seems to be a likely candidate. Thor might go toe-to-toe with him for a while, but Strange would have indirect methods for dealing with Doomsday. Trying to match his strength and savagery is not going to be easy for anyone in the Marvel universe.
Bilbo wrote:To make it a little easier this happens today. Right this moment. So all Marvel heroes exist as they do in their most current state. So things like World War Hulk, which I believe has been burned? out of Banner is not there to take on Doomsday. Instead it would be whatever current powerlevel Hulk exists.
I'm not very up-to-date on events in the MU, but rumor tells me that the World War Hulk might be able to beat Doomsday at his own game.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

I'm left wondering how the fuck that's supposed to work, but then this is comic books (or in this instance a novelization). Scratch Sue off the list then. I wonder if Reed's got some handy dimensional portal they could drop him into...

Though last time I looked there were quite a few Nova Corp. Centurions hanging around near NY. Given their gravity manipulation it shouldn't be that hard to get Doomsday off the ground and floating helpless in midair where he shouldn't be able to apply his strength.

A lot of big namers are out of the running at the moment though and the place is in a lot of chaos so Doomsday has some really fortunate timing.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Ted C wrote:
I'm not very up-to-date on events in the MU, but rumor tells me that the World War Hulk might be able to beat Doomsday at his own game.
But I believe I read that when Stark took down World War Hulk with his sat weapons he burned out that hulk personage from Banner. So World War Hulk no longer exists.

Strange may do it but then maybe not. He did not do anything other than try to summon a really big demon to kill World War Hulk. Which suggests that he cannot just send Doomsday to another dimension. Characters like Strange though are constant Deux Ex machines. Normal superheroes have powers we pretty well know. Strange is a wizard, any time something new comes along he can just suddenly "have a new spell" to save the day. Makes knowing what he can do pretty difficult.

The Avengers are toast. No one there is going to last very long. Thor I think would get bitch-slapped. He just could not take the punishment that Doomsday can dish out and I doubt he can throw his hammer hard enough to do more than make Doomsday want to hit him again.
I KILL YOU!!!
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

SylasGaunt wrote:I'm left wondering how the fuck that's supposed to work, but then this is comic books (or in this instance a novelization). Scratch Sue off the list then. I wonder if Reed's got some handy dimensional portal they could drop him into...

Though last time I looked there were quite a few Nova Corp. Centurions hanging around near NY. Given their gravity manipulation it shouldn't be that hard to get Doomsday off the ground and floating helpless in midair where he shouldn't be able to apply his strength.

A lot of big namers are out of the running at the moment though and the place is in a lot of chaos so Doomsday has some really fortunate timing.
If Reed had something like that available he would have used it on World War Hulk. Also the fact that the Illuminati (which included Reed) threw Hulk into space due to how dangerous he is suggests that neither Reed nor Strange can just dump Doomsday in another dimension.
I KILL YOU!!!
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Bilbo wrote:Strange may do it but then maybe not. He did not do anything other than try to summon a really big demon to kill World War Hulk. Which suggests that he cannot just send Doomsday to another dimension.
Strange "exiled" the Hulk by sending him to an alternate dimension (the Crossroads) once before, so it's not out of the question.

If you can find someone with sufficient telekinetic abilities, you can immobilize Doomsday just by picking him up and keeping him out of reach of anything; he doesn't have any sort of independent flight ability that he could use to resist such an attack -- you couldn't hurt him, but he couldn't do any harm. Of course, that only lasts as long as your telekinetic is awake and holding him, so you need a long-term solution.

It might be fun to see Doomsday and Juggernaut (at full strength) go at it, but the collateral damage would certainly be excessive.

If all else fails, there's always the Asgardian Destroyer (actually made by all of the MU "Skyfathers"); that thing can laugh at Thor's best shots.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Ted C wrote:
Bilbo wrote:Strange may do it but then maybe not. He did not do anything other than try to summon a really big demon to kill World War Hulk. Which suggests that he cannot just send Doomsday to another dimension.
Strange "exiled" the Hulk by sending him to an alternate dimension (the Crossroads) once before, so it's not out of the question.

If you can find someone with sufficient telekinetic abilities, you can immobilize Doomsday just by picking him up and keeping him out of reach of anything; he doesn't have any sort of independent flight ability that he could use to resist such an attack -- you couldn't hurt him, but he couldn't do any harm. Of course, that only lasts as long as your telekinetic is awake and holding him, so you need a long-term solution.

It might be fun to see Doomsday and Juggernaut (at full strength) go at it, but the collateral damage would certainly be excessive.

If all else fails, there's always the Asgardian Destroyer (actually made by all of the MU "Skyfathers"); that thing can laugh at Thor's best shots.
So are we to assume that Guy Gardner is a moron? His ring should allow him to telekinetic lift objects but he never tied it on Doomsday. So either it doesnt work, or Guy got himself whacked before he thought to try it. Beyond that I cannot of anyone lse that fought Doomsday the first time around that had that ability.
I KILL YOU!!!
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Bilbo wrote:So are we to assume that Guy Gardner is a moron? His ring should allow him to telekinetic lift objects but he never tied it on Doomsday. So either it doesnt work, or Guy got himself whacked before he thought to try it. Beyond that I cannot of anyone lse that fought Doomsday the first time around that had that ability.
Not necessarily a moron, but not necessarily that bright, either. What DID hey try against Doomsday? It's been so long I don't remember. I can seem him just trying to knock Doomsday out, which would not be particularly successful, and getting smacked down himself before he tried any other approaches.

A Marvel teke might make the same mistake, of course, but in his first appearance, it would certainly seem feasible to neutralize Doomsday by keeping him from getting into contact with anything he could use for leverage or throw.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Guy WAS a moron, as was most everybody involved and especially Clark. But then, we usually are, else there would be no story. I mean Doomsday was really strong, really tough and really angry. This kept Clark (or any of the others who had the means to do so) form punting the guy into geostationary orbit where he was essentially helpless why?
The question is do the Marvel heroes act as cluelessly as the DC ones did, or do they actually use their powers to the best of their abilities.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Juggernaut will fail miserably as he got his ass handed to him in the DC Vs. Marvel by Mullet Superman.

The only two that I can think of that could at least go head to head is the Hulk (when mad enough) and Sentry (don't know much about him other than understanding that he is very powerful).
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Batman wrote:Guy WAS a moron, as was most everybody involved and especially Clark. But then, we usually are, else there would be no story. I mean Doomsday was really strong, really tough and really angry. This kept Clark (or any of the others who had the means to do so) form punting the guy into geostationary orbit where he was essentially helpless why?
The question is do the Marvel heroes act as cluelessly as the DC ones did, or do they actually use their powers to the best of their abilities.
Superman tried to carry Doomsday into deep space at one point in the fight. Why he did this instead of throwing him may be due to how strong Doomsday is and Superman not expecting to be able to throw him high enough. While carrying him into upward Doomsday shoves an elbow spur into Supermans side which results in him dropping Doomsday. No one else there really looked to be strong enough to pull off this particular move.
I KILL YOU!!!
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

So we come back to dogpiling him with the Nova Corp. They can grav him up, and dump him somewhere nice and harmless, like down a black hole. Richard could probably manage it on his own even.

Thor might be able to pull it off if only because he and Beta Ray Bill are pretty close to evenly matched and Bill has done some truly insane crap in recent memory (I'm thinking mainly of his fights with Stardust and Asteroth in Stormbreaker).
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

actaully Raven by herself could have stopped Doomsday back in Death of superman, so if We're talking Marvel, Frost could actaully expand Doomsday's emotional boundries, the way Raven could have had she not been nutzo with the souls of her siblings during that battle.

and to think, I was hoping we we're talking a reaper virus outbreak in new york....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Ghost Rider hits him with the suffering of all those whose deaths his rampage has caused. That trick was able to halt Galactus, it will drop Doomsday like a rock.

There is also the fact that, on the whole, Marvel tends to have a better class of villains than DC. And unlike Luthor, who sat on his hands, they would get involved here. Given the stuff we've seen Dr Doom do, I'd pity the alien freak if he decided it was time to do some experiments on the new life form.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Ender wrote:Ghost Rider hits him with the suffering of all those whose deaths his rampage has caused. That trick was able to halt Galactus, it will drop Doomsday like a rock.
Wasn't that only in the animated series? I don't remember it appearing in comics canon :?
There is also the fact that, on the whole, Marvel tends to have a better class of villains than DC.
No arguments there :).
And unlike Luthor, who sat on his hands, they would get involved here.
Why should they? They didn't get involved in WW Hulk when Hulk's army caused NYC to be evacuated and had a giant arena, and they didn't help the heroes against Wanda in house of M for example. Hell, the only villains we saw in the worldwide, genocidal invasion by killer aliens (Skrulls) were the Thunderbolts who were under Osborn's control regardless.
There's absolutely no reason to think that Doom or the like would get involved, even by using the weakest of in-cmic logic, especially not for something like this.
Given the stuff we've seen Dr Doom do, I'd pity the alien freak if he decided it was time to do some experiments on the new life form.
Go read the "What If: Secret Wars" that came out a month or so ago. You might like it, I think ;)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

DEATH wrote: Why should they? They didn't get involved in WW Hulk when Hulk's army caused NYC to be evacuated and had a giant arena, and they didn't help the heroes against Wanda in house of M for example. Hell, the only villains we saw in the worldwide, genocidal invasion by killer aliens (Skrulls) were the Thunderbolts who were under Osborn's control regardless.
There's absolutely no reason to think that Doom or the like would get involved, even by using the weakest of in-cmic logic, especially not for something like this.
Actually The Hood and his lot do get involved in the fighting with the skrulls.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

SylasGaunt wrote:
DEATH wrote: Why should they? They didn't get involved in WW Hulk when Hulk's army caused NYC to be evacuated and had a giant arena, and they didn't help the heroes against Wanda in house of M for example. Hell, the only villains we saw in the worldwide, genocidal invasion by killer aliens (Skrulls) were the Thunderbolts who were under Osborn's control regardless.
Actually The Hood and his lot do get involved in the fighting with the skrulls.
Ah, the Hood, that paragon of villany and power also known as a "Wannabe Owl" (Not even "Wannabe Kingpin")
Photography
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

DEATH wrote:Wasn't that only in the animated series? I don't remember it appearing in comics canon :?
Nope, it happened in Galactus' second appearance IIRC.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Ender wrote:Ghost Rider hits him with the suffering of all those whose deaths his rampage has caused. That trick was able to halt Galactus, it will drop Doomsday like a rock.
At what range will the stare function? Galactus might stare down Ghost Rider because he is arrogant and knows no better. On the other hand if GR gets that close and starts his stare routine Doomsday is likely to smash him in the face as soon as GR gets within arms reach.

Also does the stare work on the mindless? At this stage all we know of Doomsday is that he is a mindless killing machine.
I KILL YOU!!!
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Unreliable. It's been shown that some people are so non-empathic that they really don't care about all that guilt, or they even revel in it. I suspect Doomsday would make that list.
Ender wrote:There is also the fact that, on the whole, Marvel tends to have a better class of villains than DC. And unlike Luthor, who sat on his hands, they would get involved here. Given the stuff we've seen Dr Doom do, I'd pity the alien freak if he decided it was time to do some experiments on the new life form.
There are definitely some Marvel villains that would be outrageously pissed off that some alien muscle-beast was wrecking their town. There are others, Doom included, who would think to take Doomsday's power for themselves.

And is Phoenix up and running in Marvel these days? It occurs to me that she could handle Doomsday pretty easily, if she used her power effectively.

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

DEATH wrote: Actually The Hood and his lot do get involved in the fighting with the skrulls.
Ah, the Hood, that paragon of villany and power also known as a "Wannabe Owl" (Not even "Wannabe Kingpin")[/quote]

He does however have a whole mess of supervillains running about with him and brought them along to fight the skrulls which argues against your idea that villains won't get involved if a sufficiently nasty threat shows up. True they're less likely to than heroes but some of them do live in this town.

You know I just thought of something. There's a ton of Nova Centurions in Jersey.. but they're latest member just arrived and could probably handle this on his own. Centurion Ego, get 'em! :lol: