3 pictures presented without comment

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ender
Emperor's Hand

3 pictures presented without comment

Post by Ender »

Namor, Prince of Atlantis normally:

Namor, Price of Atlanis in Brian Bendis's "Dark Reign"

Brian Bendis:

بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Re: 3 pictures presented without comment

Post by Ghost Rider »

Bendis hopes he's as badass as Namor.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:lol: That is hilarious. Who decided that Namor should start looking like a balding drunk though?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

Namor has traditionally been one of Marvel's most readily recognizable characters; the combination of his widow's peak, swept back black hair, pointed ears, pointed eyebrows, sharply defined jaw, and generally condescending attitude has made him easily identifiable regardless of who draws him. Likewise his voice; virtually all writers have given him much the same speech pattern (fairly dripping with hauteur), so that his has been one of the most consistent characters over the past 70 years.

In Secret Invasion: Dark Reign, he is chiefly recognizable as Namor because he is specifically identified by name. Neither his appearance nor his speech pattern is particularly characteristic. Given how distinctive Namor has been for many decades, this reflects poorly on both the illustrator (Alex Maleev) and the writer (Brian Michael Bendis).
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I want to reply to this by smashing my fists into my keyboard until the bloody keys are scattered across the room. I really do.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The only good thing to come out of that special was the final conversation between Namor and Doom, basically saying "Dude, we've been through this before. We're to smart to fall for this BS."
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

I would be interested in hearing what motivated the artistic choices that brought all this about. My fear is that this would somehow become the new Namorian standard. I was starting to like Namor.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

It's odd because Maleev is perfectly capable of drawing a Namor that looks and moves like Namor:

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That new grim and gritty (check the stubble) version of Namor is interesting. I like the cut of his jib.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

A new definition of "author insert" for Marvel?
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Grasscutter
Even that is pushing it. Namor has never been, either originally or otherwise, depicted with a rounded chin. He also isn't in the midst of male pattern baldness, but has a very pronounced widow's peak. There is a distinct difference. Something that... Maleev seems to completely miss.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I think he kind of resembles Robert Patrick, the T-1000. Such an angular face, with the sharp features and such.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I always enjoyed the joke in Toyfare where people keep calling Namor "Spock". Not a bad comparison.

This, however, looks like Namor is attempting to audition for the role of Vic in The Shield.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

I'm relieved we didn't get Brian Michael Bendis in a green scale speedo.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Back to the status quo, immediately! WHO DARES CHANGE NEMO? I mean, NAMOR?? Bleh, 60 year old characters appearing aged (complete with baldness) isn't so bad, though I agree he should look like Robert Patrick rather than the guy writing it, hah.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

Back to the status quo, immediately! WHO DARES CHANGE NEMO? I mean, NAMOR?? Bleh, 60 year old characters appearing aged (complete with baldness) isn't so bad, though I agree he should look like Robert Patrick rather than the guy writing it, hah.
Namor is unique in that he hasn't been retconned younger. He's kind of quasi-immortal and thus has a reason why he never looks older.

CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Am I the only one who thinks Brian Bendis bears a slight resemblance to Kevin Spacey?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Zuul wrote:Back to the status quo, immediately! WHO DARES CHANGE NEMO? I mean, NAMOR?? Bleh, 60 year old characters appearing aged (complete with baldness) isn't so bad, though I agree he should look like Robert Patrick rather than the guy writing it, hah.
And if you knew anything about what you are talking about you would know that Marvel uses a sliding time scale and all the events that happened in the 60s in RT only happened about 15 years ago in universe. Also you would know that the average Atlanteans live to be around 120, and obviously Namor is far beyond average, and that he is considered to be at the peak of his power ATM.

Needless to say, there is a nice big glass of Shut the Fuck up waiting for you on the sink. :P
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

NeoGoomba wrote:This, however, looks like Namor is attempting to audition for the role of Vic in The Shield.
That was my thought, too.

Anyway, fun find.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

You know, even if they are trying to "age" him or whatever (i doubt it...) that still makes no sense as his entire face's bone structure seems to have changed. That's not putting on weight that's your entire chin and jawline changing. That can't happen normally, as far as i know. Not to mention the fact that even if they were trying to make him look older, or some such, then why does he look like Bendis. Realistically (lol) if he were going to become old and bald, he'd still look like himself...basically like Spock but old and balding. His entire head-shape, jaw structure and nose wouldn't dramatically shift in shape and size just cause he gets old, at least as far as i know.

And of course the whole "Atlanteans age slower than Sean Conery" thing and he's only, like, thirty out of 120 possible years meaning he should look more like a teenager by our standards of aging. Or put another way, if someone was one-fourth the way through their lifespan (lets say 70-80 for humans) they'd be about 17-20, so if Atlanteans age physically even remotely like us he's not even half way through his lifepsan. He shouldn't LOOK old or balding he should realistically be about the same physical age as Patriot or Stature. And last i checked most teens/twentysomethings we're balding or grizzled.
Kanye West Saves.

Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

havokeff wrote:
Zuul wrote:Back to the status quo, immediately! WHO DARES CHANGE NEMO? I mean, NAMOR?? Bleh, 60 year old characters appearing aged (complete with baldness) isn't so bad, though I agree he should look like Robert Patrick rather than the guy writing it, hah.
And if you knew anything about what you are talking about you would know that Marvel uses a sliding time scale and all the events that happened in the 60s in RT only happened about 15 years ago in universe. Also you would know that the average Atlanteans live to be around 120, and obviously Namor is far beyond average, and that he is considered to be at the peak of his power ATM.

Needless to say, there is a nice big glass of Shut the Fuck up waiting for you on the sink. :P
Correct me if I am wrong but I am fairly sure that does not apply to World War II hero. All the heroes that fought in WW2 (like Captain America, Nick Fury and indeed Namor) still fought in World War 2 but have been brought to the modern again in one way or another, Captain America by being frozen in ice, Nick Fury by the infinity formula and Namor by not being human and hence aging slower.
I am fairly sure I remember a reference to him being a member of the Invaders and fighting in WW2 made just a few years ago.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Glimmervoid wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but I am fairly sure that does not apply to World War II hero. All the heroes that fought in WW2 (like Captain America, Nick Fury and indeed Namor) still fought in World War 2 but have been brought to the modern again in one way or another, Captain America by being frozen in ice, Nick Fury by the infinity formula and Namor by not being human and hence aging slower.
I am fairly sure I remember a reference to him being a member of the Invaders and fighting in WW2 made just a few years ago.
Namor was definitely part of the Invaders.

With the way he was drawn in those stories it could even be argued that he was obviously quite a bit younger then since he was much thiner than how most artists currently draw him, which is usually much more muscular. Also, since one of the main guys he would go toe to toe with in WWII was Master Man, it could also be interpreted that younger Namor was maybe half as strong as the current Namor, but that's going mostly by what the various Handbooks of the Marvel Universe have stated as strength levels for Namor and Master Man.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

Tsyroc wrote:
Glimmervoid wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but I am fairly sure that does not apply to World War II hero. All the heroes that fought in WW2 (like Captain America, Nick Fury and indeed Namor) still fought in World War 2 but have been brought to the modern again in one way or another, Captain America by being frozen in ice, Nick Fury by the infinity formula and Namor by not being human and hence aging slower.
Namor was definitely part of the Invaders.

With the way he was drawn in those stories it could even be argued that he was obviously quite a bit younger then since he was much thiner than how most artists currently draw him, which is usually much more muscular. Also, since one of the main guys he would go toe to toe with in WWII was Master Man, it could also be interpreted that younger Namor was maybe half as strong as the current Namor, but that's going mostly by what the various Handbooks of the Marvel Universe have stated as strength levels for Namor and Master Man.
Yep just found the quote.
Initially a worldwide wartime menace circa his debut in 1939, Namor, half-human scion of undersea Atlantis, became a dedicated U.S. ally as a member of the Invaders. Active off and on until 1958...
-Civil War: Battle Damage Report, First Printed 2007 page 37

This is writen in universe by Iron Man, I think. So he has been active since at least 1939, making him at the very least 68 likly older.
Last edited by Glimmervoid on 2008-12-13 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Namor was born in 1916 IIRC, so he was only about 20 when he made his first appearance in the surface world. Going by the average Atlantean age span of about 120, he would be well into his later life, being about 92. However, Namor is far from an average Atlantean.

Namor did indeed fight with the Invaders, along side Steve Rogers, James Barnes, the original Human Torch etc., but again, he was in his mid to late 20s during this time.

Any seeming lack in strength for Namor then as compared with now could be attributed both to not being mature as far as his power goes and that at the time, the unknown fact that his powers and mind reacted adversely to pollution and from extended periods of time out of the ocean/water usually resulted in a lack of strength and him becoming slightly to severely irrational and unstable mentally.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Glimmervoid wrote:
havokeff wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but I am fairly sure that does not apply to World War II hero. All the heroes that fought in WW2 (like Captain America, Nick Fury and indeed Namor) still fought in World War 2 but have been brought to the modern again in one way or another, Captain America by being frozen in ice, Nick Fury by the infinity formula and Namor by not being human and hence aging slower.
The first part of my response was directed at the "60 year old characters...", which didn't address Namor specifically, but the original Marvel Universe characters in general. However, it does still apply to Namor and Captain America as far as their recent adventures go that aren't attributed directly to WWII or, in Cap's situation, someone other than Steve Rogers wearing the Cap suit, IIRC. (i.e. The Avengers thawed out Steve Rogers 15+ years ago.)
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)