Superman Film Franchise to be Rebooted

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Superman Film Franchise to be Rebooted

Post by JME2 »

From Newsarama:
Warner Bros. has confirmed long-running rumors that it will reboot the Superman movie franchise.

Jeff Robinov, Warner Bros. Pictures Group President, tells The Wall Street Journal that the Man of Steel will be reintroduced on the big screen without regard to 2006’s Superman Returns.

“Superman didn’t quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to,” Robinov says. “It didn’t position the character the way he needed to be positioned. ... Had Superman worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009.”

There’s no mention whether Superman Returns director Bryan Singer will be part of the reboot. Earlier this week, Variety’s Anne Thompson reported “that it is a priority at the studio to find the right direction and if Bryan Singer is willing to do that, fine, but if he gets in the way, he may not stay on the project.”

Taking a page from Marvel, Warner Bros. has reversed its earlier position of using the now-stalled Justice League of America as a launching pad for other DC properties. Instead, it will focus on solo features to build toward a multicharacter film.

“Along those lines, we have been developing every DC character that we own,” Robinov says.

That may sound less like a “strategy” and more like a mad cash-grab. Something else that might not sit right with some fans is Robinov’s determination to explore the darker side of super-heroes: “We’re going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it.”

According to The Journal, Warner Bros. plans to release four comic-book movies in the next three years: the third Batman installment, the Superman reboot, and two focusing on other DC Comics characters. (It’s unclear whether Watchmen is included in that count.) Likely candidates include Green Arrow/Super Max, Green Lantern, Captain Marvel and, perhaps, Jonah Hex.
A step in the right direction; perhaps they'll see sense and adapt Mark Waid and Lenil Francis Yu's excellent Superman: Birthright mini-series.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

This is good news. Superman Returns trying to follow on from Superman II just didn't work. Oh yes, five years later from what was it, the 70s (and obviously the 70s in tech, clothing style, etc) and now it's 2006 stuff? Um...no. Suspension of Disbelief doesn't begin to cover that.

Besides, as nostalgic as people are for Donner Superman, it's a little too Silver Age-y for something like a universe where Batman Begins might be happening in. I mean, in that history Luthor escapes from prison in a hot air ballon? Riiiight.

A reboot is a good idea, IMO.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Good. A sequel to Returns would have been a horrible idea considering how much the movie sucked.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

ABOUT GODDAMN TIME WARNER BROTHERS!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I think it's interesting that a number of their future comic book movies aren't traditional superhero types.

Supermax is very different than what we've seen, and Jonah Hex is not your typical superhero, even disregarding the era it's in. You can throw Watchmen in this group as well.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Stile
Jedi Knight

Post by Stile »

RogueIce wrote:This is good news. Superman Returns trying to follow on from Superman II just didn't work. Oh yes, five years later from what was it, the 70s (and obviously the 70s in tech, clothing style, etc) and now it's 2006 stuff? Um...no. Suspension of Disbelief doesn't begin to cover that.

Besides, as nostalgic as people are for Donner Superman, it's a little too Silver Age-y for something like a universe where Batman Begins might be happening in. I mean, in that history Luthor escapes from prison in a hot air ballon? Riiiight.

A reboot is a good idea, IMO.
Um, Superman II was 1980. :?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Why do I get the feeling it'll end more like what happened to Hulk than the Batman franchise?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

It's not really rocket science.

If it's a Metropolis-based Superman:

1. He doesn't flinch in doing his job
2. He doesn't kill
3. He doesn't second guess himself
4. He doesn't give up his moral high ground (which should be ironclad)
5. Kryptonite should merely be a plot device and NOT the plot
6. Lois Lane should merely be a plot device and NOT the plot
7. He should be almost mythological / godlike to normal citizens
8. He should be a human to us viewers
9. And he should be fantastically inspirational to everyone... like that scene in Superman II where the people on the streets started to attack Zod's crew.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I hate to say this, and to "me too" but for once I think that a reboot would work well, despite excellent past movies ("Kneel Before Zod!" and all that).
It could go horribly wrong if they get a bad director and try to make a gritty, realistic remake of Superman. (Maybe with mullet hair and a leather costume :P ), but WB has seemed to lose some of the stick up its ass.
Green Arrow/Super Max, Green Lantern, Captain Marvel and, perhaps, Jonah Hex.
The Supermax idea sounds fun but would work better after more DC movies than batman in the years preceding it.
Jonah Hex would be unmitigated awesomeness :D. (Gritty, easy to basea plot on, has a popular and fantastic current comic run which suits it in tone, and can even kill the character off while leaving room for sequels based in his past if you're looking for impact. It doesn't even need that big a budget, compared to a GL CGI fest)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Given the coming Blackest Night, now is the time, as I've said previously, to get cracking on a GL film.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

JME2 wrote:Given the coming Blackest Night, now is the time, as I've said previously, to get cracking on a GL film.
I storyboarded a GL teaser somewhere on this board. I should write a script.
ImageImage
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Personally, I like Superman Returns, both as a stand-alone movie and as a continuation fo the Donner movies, but I won't disagree about the need for a reboot, since the movie actually fits more as the final movie in a trilogy, and I'm not sure how would they manage to continue the story at this point.

On the other hand, I don't think Superman (or other DC characters for that matter) would mix with the Nolan-verse Batman.... And I'd hate it for them to try and go the "gritty and realistic" route with a character so over the top as Superman.... Reminds me of Kevin Smith explaining the plans to have a no-suit, no-flying "caged animal" Superman fighting a giant spider....

Additionally, a reboot would allow a younger audience to get in touch with the character's origin.... Although I would regret seeing Krypton depicted differently... the crystal-tech version is very interesting.
unsigned
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

The problem with rebooting Superman is the very real chance that Lex will once again be the main villain like the first Superman and Superman Returns. I like Lex Luthor but I don't want to see him being the main villain for once.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Enigma wrote:The problem with rebooting Superman is the very real chance that Lex will once again be the main villain like the first Superman and Superman Returns. I like Lex Luthor but I don't want to see him being the main villain for once.
Well, they could take the Batman Begins/Iron Man approach and utilize another member of the rogues while saving Luthor for a second film (Bizarro, Brainiac, Zod are possibilities). If Lex is the main villain, I again maintain that it should be the Birthright Lex; as I told mini-series author Mark Waid at San Jose Super-Con 2007, I consider the Birthright Lex to be the perfect balance of the previous iterations (mad scientist, Gene Hackman's Luthor, business man, childhood friend of Clark, etc.)
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Great news. I actually thought that Superman Returns was a good, decent film. However as a franchise starter it was ridiculous how bad it veered into the wrong direction. In 2006, even an eight year old would have been too young to have seen the 90s Superman animated series. For a lot of kids, Superman Returns was their first real exposure to the character...and the movie completely left them out by being a sequel to the 70s movie series (and only the first two movies, making things even more complicated). The movie never showed the character's origin, romance with Lois Lane, or his greatest adventures. Returns was a weird post-Superman story. If I was a big shot at the WB I would have vetoed Singer's premise right after he pitched it.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

JME2 wrote:
Enigma wrote:The problem with rebooting Superman is the very real chance that Lex will once again be the main villain like the first Superman and Superman Returns. I like Lex Luthor but I don't want to see him being the main villain for once.
Well, they could take the Batman Begins/Iron Man approach and utilize another member of the rogues while saving Luthor for a second film (Bizarro, Brainiac, Zod are possibilities). If Lex is the main villain, I again maintain that it should be the Birthright Lex; as I told mini-series author Mark Waid at San Jose Super-Con 2007, I consider the Birthright Lex to be the perfect balance of the previous iterations (mad scientist, Gene Hackman's Luthor, business man, childhood friend of Clark, etc.)
Lex Luthor is Superman's greatest enemy, and one of the few that the public knows. He should never be completely left out of a Superman movie franchise.

They could easily have another, more physical villain for Superman to fight (I still can't believe that Superman didn't throw one punch in Returns) while portraying Luthor as the guy pulling the strings behind the scenes.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Since reboots are all the rage these days...

I personally enjoyed "Superman Returns" but there is indeed too much baggage attached to the film (Superman with a kid...) It was a good finale to the Donner films though (which I now basically view as a trilogy of Superman I, II and Returns).

It does feel like they are trying hard to take a page from Marvel's play-book.

Far as Bryan Singer, I wouldn't complain if he was still attached. I think he's a very good director ("The Ususal Suspects" is one of my favorite films). I am now just realizing that he is directing "Valkyrie", the film about the July Bomb Plot against Hitler...I'm more interested in seeing that now.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Yeah, I think the movie could've worked if they had left out the SuperBaby. They should do Lex as a businessman who's got a public face, ala the Timm-verse, for a few movies until he's got not choice but to be irredeemably evil.
ImageImage
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Taking a page from Marvel, Warner Bros. has reversed its earlier position of using the now-stalled Justice League of America as a launching pad for other DC properties. Instead, it will focus on solo features to build toward a multicharacter film.

“Along those lines, we have been developing every DC character that we own,” Robinov says.

That may sound less like a “strategy” and more like a mad cash-grab. Something else that might not sit right with some fans is Robinov’s determination to explore the darker side of super-heroes: “We’re going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it.”
This has me a bit worried. Iron Man and Marvel's move towards an Avengers movie haven't been successful so far for no reason. The Dark Knight didn't work simply because it was dark. Iron Man and TDK succeeded because of great acting, directing, writing, and action. They took best parts of the source material and made GOOD movies out of it. I hope the WB keeps that in mind, rather than trying to shallowly mimic the success of those two movies. I don't want to see movies that "go dark" for no good reason or think they have to cram in a ton of comic book characters and action just because Superman Returns underwhelmed in those areas. The horrible Justice League movie that was being planned seemed to me like a total overreaction going to the opposite extreme of Returns.
According to The Journal, Warner Bros. plans to release four comic-book movies in the next three years: the third Batman installment, the Superman reboot, and two focusing on other DC Comics characters. (It’s unclear whether Watchmen is included in that count.) Likely candidates include Green Arrow/Super Max, Green Lantern, Captain Marvel and, perhaps, Jonah Hex.
At least that Justice League movie is staying dead for now. I got a scare a couple weeks ago when someone rumored that it was back on.

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Returns had a lot of good points, but I can definitely see the reasons for rebooting. If they stick to the core of the character mentioned above (nicely done, there), then they can't really go far long.

More than most other heroes - Flash maybe excepted - one of Superman's major traits has to be that he is likeable. He can be imposing, he can be impressive, but he has got to have charisma - something Reeve managed quite well, I thought. That might be hard for them to keep in mind if they try to make the film more action-oriented, but it can definitely be done, and done well.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Stile wrote:Um, Superman II was 1980. :?
1980 is more of the 70s than it really is the 80s anyway. :P
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

There are a few ways to make this new movie better than Superman Returns, but making it darker is not one of them. Despite its problems, it had the right tone for a Superman movie. The new one needs better casting and a better plot.
delicious pies
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Demiurge wrote:There are a few ways to make this new movie better than Superman Returns, but making it darker is not one of them. Despite its problems, it had the right tone for a Superman movie. The new one needs better casting and a better plot.
They had a good fit for Luthor...he just needed an evil plan a wee bit better than "Hey, let's just do what got me thrown in prison almost thirty years ago again!"

I was hoping he'd have a crystal warship, Bizarro, something.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

I didn't get it when Returns was made and I don't get it now, why make another Superman movie? He's a TERRIBLE hero to focus a movie around. It's not enough time on-screen to really establish a good backstory, have a good villain for him, and explain why the villain can hurt him. He's just too powerful and too established as being overly powerful to the general public.
Hancock worked with those kind of powers because:
1) He was funny, something Superman will never be
2) No one really knew what he was capable of, including the villains
3) The actual conflict was one of character, something Superman isn't capable of as a shining beacon of morality.

So I just don't see the point of rebooting this franchise when it's just going to suck as bad as Returns did, and Returns was the first movie I've ever actually thought about asking for my money back about a third of the way through.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Block wrote:I didn't get it when Returns was made and I don't get it now, why make another Superman movie? He's a TERRIBLE hero to focus a movie around. It's not enough time on-screen to really establish a good backstory, have a good villain for him, and explain why the villain can hurt him. He's just too powerful and too established as being overly powerful to the general public.
Hancock worked with those kind of powers because:
1) He was funny, something Superman will never be
2) No one really knew what he was capable of, including the villains
3) The actual conflict was one of character, something Superman isn't capable of as a shining beacon of morality.

So I just don't see the point of rebooting this franchise when it's just going to suck as bad as Returns did, and Returns was the first movie I've ever actually thought about asking for my money back about a third of the way through.
Have you seen the original movie?