A New Joker and...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Havok
Miscreant

A New Joker and...

Post by Havok »

Other Batman Begins and The Dark Knight sequel questions and ideas involving plot, villains, characters, who not to include etc..

Who if anyone can pick up where Ledger left off? Should Robin be introduced? Are there viable villains left in the gallery?

Thoughts?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

A Lecter-esque Riddler would be pretty good. He was always my favorite. A non-campy Mr. Freeze could also work.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

-I for one think a Nolanverse Catwoman would translate well on-screen, if not as the "main" villain, at least as the secondary one.

-Bane perhaps. He has both muscle and brains.

-Hush.

-Riddler.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I know that Black Mask was considered for TDK.

I second Catwoman, and would also like to see Scarecrow and Two-Face return (not necessarily in the same film or anything).

Also, IMO a good way to continue the Joker legacy while not replacing Ledger would be to introduce Harley Quinn.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

Pulp Hero wrote:-I for one think a Nolanverse Catwoman would translate well on-screen, if not as the "main" villain, at least as the secondary one.

-Bane perhaps. He has both muscle and brains.

-Hush.

-Riddler.
Yes, Bane as in the guy from Knightfall saga and NOT from the tragedy of a movie called Batman & Robin, would work really well.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

The only problem with Bane IMO is he is a bit cheesy in appearance for the Nolan-verse...however, his abilities and personality are near-perfect, and super-steroids are easily justified compared to the other sci-fi stuff in the films.

Now that I think of it, he would be terrific for a villain who's legitimately out to kill Batman, which hasn't happened in BB or TDK. You'd just need to give him a decent motivation.

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Risking Ender's wrath, I would like to see a treatment of Robin. I want a serious take on the kid, partly because I've like what has been done with him over the recent years and to wipe the memory of Chris O'Donell out of my mind.

As for Joker, I'm sure there are a couple of people out there with the chops to take the character over... unfortunately one of the best is already playing Batman. I was talking to The Wench and I threw out the idea of Brad Pitt. She laughed and scoffed at me, just like you are doing right now. :(
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The Riddler is probably the worst villain to use. He's a guy, right, a thief, who'd get away with it if he could just shut the fuck up. The only decent Riddler story is one where he's a hopeless OCD case and literally can't stop himself leaving clues, in which case 'Riddler' wouldn't be what he calls himself.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Knightfall-esque Bane is about the best 'comic rendition' rogue you could hope to get out of this. All the others would require heavy editing to fit into the universe; while I myself don't mind this, the question ultimately becomes should we do a Batman film then?

The best Pathos of the series were ultimately Freeze(Re: His wife, etc) and (Dare I invoke it? I dare) the 'The Batman' rendition of Clayface. But neither villain truly works without a rather fantastical world, and Nolan's Batman series is ultimately not one that would work well. Even Bane's incredible strength would push it.

(I dislike the Penguin for many reasons, even his Mob Boss rewrite. Frankly, he would have worked well had they not beat the subject of the Mob to death in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Bringing in Penguin requires a competent, well-running Mob, and that would mash on the Reset Button.)
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

SirNitram wrote:(I dislike the Penguin for many reasons, even his Mob Boss rewrite. Frankly, he would have worked well had they not beat the subject of the Mob to death in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Bringing in Penguin requires a competent, well-running Mob, and that would mash on the Reset Button.)
Unless the Penguin is a newcomer to Gotham and assassinates his weakened mob rivals and takes over their respective assets to become the new crime overlord of the city. Like Marvel's Kingpin.

I think Talia al Ghul's Catwoman would make a fine assassin for the Penguin. :D
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Galvatron wrote:
SirNitram wrote:(I dislike the Penguin for many reasons, even his Mob Boss rewrite. Frankly, he would have worked well had they not beat the subject of the Mob to death in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Bringing in Penguin requires a competent, well-running Mob, and that would mash on the Reset Button.)
Unless the Penguin is a newcomer to Gotham and assassinates his weakened mob rivals and takes over their respective assets to become the new crime overlord of the city. Like Marvel's Kingpin.

Keep pushing it, Galvatron. We'll blow up the oceans with you in them.
ImageImage
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Or maybe the Nolanverse Penguin is just a thoroughly corrupt yet financially super-powerful business rival of Wayne Enterprises.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Galvatron wrote:

I dunno. Is there anything left of the Mob? The Joker casually killed quite a few of them, and then of course, when he got their money, he destroyed it. I think he'd have to import his operation. Not impossible, given the Gotham would have had a reputation of a mob-run town with a sudden vacancy.

I think that's about the best way to use a heavily edited Cat, though. Properly morally ambiguous so there isn't the ridiculous 'Thief but the Bat doesn't just toss her in jail at first sight' it got to be sometimes with the jewel-thief, but still plenty to make it a sharp contrast between the two.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Gigaliel
Padawan Learner

Post by Gigaliel »

SirNitram wrote: I dunno. Is there anything left of the Mob? The Joker casually killed quite a few of them, and then of course, when he got their money, he destroyed it. I think he'd have to import his operation. Not impossible, given the Gotham would have had a reputation of a mob-run town with a sudden vacancy.

I think that's about the best way to use a heavily edited Cat, though. Properly morally ambiguous so there isn't the ridiculous 'Thief but the Bat doesn't just toss her in jail at first sight' it got to be sometimes with the jewel-thief, but still plenty to make it a sharp contrast between the two.
I thought he only killed the higher-ups? If I remember correctly the middle 'management' types were the ones in police custody. The Joker still managed to use his mob-granted authority to a great extent despite this. The power base would still be there, just head-and-upper-torso-less.

Anyway, the Penguin, Catwoman, and other's tameness probably reflects a bit on what (I think) the third movie's theme would be. Since this is the third (and hopefully final) one it should cover Gotham's recovery and if the (loathed) Batman is even needed. Leading back to the whole Batman/Bruce Wayne dilemma.

What with Batman being an ex-member, killing their leader and proceeding to somewhat prove 'oh hey Gotham wasn't doomed!' bit, the League of Shadows could return as a slightly more benevolent organization with 'neutral' relations towards Bats.

This seems forced since they've been a bit, oh, genocidal. However, the League of Shadows seems to be the only way for Batman to continue being Batman without being reduced to merely beating up robbers that police are now actually arresting. Since his methods have been proven effective, an offer for a high rank isn't entirely loony. Talia* would illustrate the League's more moderate state.

There's always staying in Gotham since that was the whole point of Batman and letting him fade away. Feel free to contrast this with emotions for Talia/Catwoman which can only be encountered as 'Batman' versus the 'happy Gotham' he fought for associated with the dead Rachel/Harvey/Parents.

Mind you I'm running a little thin on what the villains would actually be doing to be menacing. Even Bane just doesn't seem to cut it.

*Who may or may not be masquerading as Catwoman/Selena Kyle to get to know Batman minus the "We tried to destroy Gotham" baggage. Maybe she likes using the alias because her father agreed with the League's more genocidal policies (common interest!). Also she likes cats and donates to animal shelters. I'm not seeing the stretch here.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I'd be interested to see them skip many years, more than a decade say, to show that Gotham was changed by Harvey and Batman, and that the Batman identity is seriously compromised now, but that Gotham is a normal city and better for it. They can continue the themes of violence and order from TDK as an older Batman is forced to step in to save a city that hates him (because he can take it) and how his anti-hero role has affected the city and his methods.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Don't expect to see Robin in the Nolan-verse. At least not with Christian Bale as Batman

He's already stated, publically, that he'd walk if any attempt to introduce Robin was added in.

Now, that might change if they come up with an amazing method of doing it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Maroni has a good chance of still being alive. Two-Face didn't shoot him, just the driver, and he was able to survive the crash. No reason Maroni couldn't have escaped with minor injuries.
ImageImage
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

I thought that Cillian Murphy could make a comeback as a very terrifying Scarecrow, though I also like the idea of an edgier Harley Quinn.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Well, if the studios ever decided to just go the campy route, they could be creative and poach characters who aren't even part of the comics.

Like say, Bulldog Drummond. :twisted:

Capt. Drummond of the Loamshire Regiment, out to restore the British Empire to greatness while throwing around racial and anti semitic slurs! And he could go try and hunt Batman with an elephant gun while flying a WWI biplane.

Wait, it gets even better! Alfred can be Drummond's alter ego! Think about it, Michael Caine in is younger years would look exactly like Bulldog!

And it's so campy that both Adam West and Joel Schumacher would be left speechless.

Yes, I know my imagination has been overloaded after experiencing the Dark Knight. I'll go and try and sleep it off now.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

IF Robin ever enters the series, expect it to resemble the graphic novel Dark Victory.

-Tanasinn
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Poking around on the wiki, apparently The Doctor would like to try and take on the Dark Knight.

Best. Crossover. EVER! :P
ImageImage
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Anguirus wrote:IF Robin ever enters the series, expect it to resemble the graphic novel Dark Victory.
I'm expecting some degree of DV influences given the Year One and Long Halloween influences on the film.

Anyway, my thoughts on the villains for a potential third film:

* Catwoman: I don't care if she's the last of the best-known villains; I have a strong dislike of Selina Kyle.

* Riddler's MO is too similar to TDK's take on the Joker; it'd be repetitive.

* Penguin: I can buy the idea of Cobblepot as a Kingpin-esque character.

* Bane: Same reasons above, just play down the steroids.

* Ventriloquist: It could work, albeit really fucked up. I'd personally love to see Nolan's take on Wesker and Scarface.

* Talia: Ra's conversation about his dead wife in the first film is a potential opening to bring the Daughter of the Demon in, if done properly.

* Hush: No. Just, no.
The Wench
Youngling

Post by The Wench »

Anguirus wrote:Also, IMO a good way to continue the Joker legacy while not replacing Ledger would be to introduce Harley Quinn.
I'm actually going to argue this would be a terrible alternative. Harley works as an arm for Joker, sure, but as a charcter that stands alone...I just don't see that happening. She's pretty boring by herself without his charisma, and I can't see her being as much a force as he is to make her purpose count enough to include her in upcoming flicks. I think that would be a Shumacher move...and I think moviegoers in general wouldn't quite get her purpose unless they read the comics or watched the cartoon...too much explaining to do in her case.

I vote Catwoman, myself.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

I kind of want to see an appearance of a low-key hero, kind of like Batman Begins had the second-tier Scarecrow as a secondary villain. Maybe the Question?
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

She's pretty boring by herself without his charisma, and I can't see her being as much a force as he is to make her purpose count enough to include her in upcoming flicks.
A lot of that would depend on the writing and the actor, I think. I'm not saying she should be a lead villain but she might be a way to make Joker's presence felt.

She had a great scene in Hush where she basically took on Batman and Catwoman with no Joker in sight, and certainly held her own.

-Tanasinn