Watchmen trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

So this movie is about a group of superheroes that none have any super powers except for one? and they don't want to save the people? what is Watchmen about?
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Death from the Sea wrote:So this movie is about a group of superheroes that none have any super powers except for one? and they don't want to save the people? what is Watchmen about?
The complete, total, and brutal deconstruction of the superhero genre as a whole.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Peptuck wrote:
Death from the Sea wrote:So this movie is about a group of superheroes that none have any super powers except for one? and they don't want to save the people? what is Watchmen about?
The complete, total, and brutal deconstruction of the superhero genre as a whole.
hmmmm... could be interesting. the trailer does look neat.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

Peptuck wrote:
Bug-Eyed Earl wrote: That, and though the heroes agree to keep Veidt, they kill him to see to it he pays for what he did; they even include Dr. Manhattan killing Rorshach
Wait a second; isn't the whole reason Rorschach demands Manhattan kill him because they let Veidt go?

Its been forever since I read Watchmen, so I might have forgotten something.
They agree to keep his secret; Veidt's plan is to destroy three cities, make it look like Dr. Manhattan did it, and play forged audio of him demanding the world powers cease their hostilities. They kill Veidt so he doesn't get off scot-free, but they agree to keep his plan secret; Rorshach refuses, and says he'll go public if they won't
BotM Cybertronian
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

So they are going for the lesser of proposed endings? Ah well, guess I'll see it later, given one of the highlights of Watchmen is the success and irony of the ending, not some bizarre teeny booper justice.

Ah well, will they keep Viedt's speech about twarting the plan :P ?
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Ghost Rider wrote: Ah well, will they keep Viedt's speech about twarting the plan :P ?
Omiting that would be utterly insane. Anyone who has read the comic and then decides it would be a good idea to remove that little speech is verifiably not all there in the brain department.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:Unfortunately, they did. After nearly two decades of rewrites, overhauls, and various screenwriters, they went back to the very first script ever written, way back in 1989.

OF COURSE that's not the shooting script! It keeps the ending, pretty much, except: Veidt's scheme is to vaporize several cities and make them think Dr. Manhattan did it and is forcing them to commit to peace. That, and though the heroes agree to keep Veidt, they kill him to see to it he pays for what he did; they even include Dr. Manhattan killing Rorshach
Er, do you have an article from a credible source backing this up? I haven't seen any mention of alterations to the ending in any of the articles/reports I've been reading.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

McC wrote:
Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:Unfortunately, they did. After nearly two decades of rewrites, overhauls, and various screenwriters, they went back to the very first script ever written, way back in 1989.

OF COURSE that's not the shooting script! It keeps the ending, pretty much, except: Veidt's scheme is to vaporize several cities and make them think Dr. Manhattan did it and is forcing them to commit to peace. That, and though the heroes agree to keep Veidt, they kill him to see to it he pays for what he did; they even include Dr. Manhattan killing Rorshach
Er, do you have an article from a credible source backing this up? I haven't seen any mention of alterations to the ending in any of the articles/reports I've been reading.
No, just the actual script. I got the GI Joe script awhile back and gave it to a guy, and in return, he gave me the He-Man script when I asked for it and he also provided Watchmen and Wolverine.
BotM Cybertronian
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:No, just the actual script. I got the GI Joe script awhile back and gave it to a guy, and in return, he gave me the He-Man script when I asked for it and he also provided Watchmen and Wolverine.
And how do you know his scripts (or the one you received and traded) were authentic?

Sorry, those are just some fairly tall claims.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

Do you really want to see the laundry list of reasons I think they're authentic? Here goes:

1. I got the scripts for Transformers, Halloween, and Batman Begins months before they came out.

2. I've never gotten a script that turned out to be fake.

3. It's very hard to write a fake script which can pass as a professionally done(albeit poorly written); writing any script is time-consuming; I've never seen a "fake script."

4. Most of the ones I get are reviewed by El Mayimbe at www.latinoreview.com I asked him a question once about a script review and he emailed me back asking if I was interested in buying it; weeks later said script was online. I'm really surprised this guy hasn't been busted by a studio(and no, I've never paid for a script)
BotM Cybertronian
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote: Ah well, will they keep Viedt's speech about twarting the plan :P ?
Omiting that would be utterly insane. Anyone who has read the comic and then decides it would be a good idea to remove that little speech is verifiably not all there in the brain department.
Oh yes. That had the best line in the entire series:

"Do it"? Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously expect I'd outline my masterstroke in every detail if there remained the slightest chance of you stopping it?

I did it thirty five minutes ago.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Actually it was:
Do it ?

Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I would explain my masterstroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.
And if it's not in there, there is no way I'll be seeing the movie. Well, I might go if they rephrase it a bit without losing any of the feel.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Why would the change the climax in detail (ie, who did what to whom) and leave it the same in principle? I've never understood that sort of thing.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

My best guess is they thought to streamline Ozzy's plan by having it be a frame up of Dr. Manhattan instead of trying to explain the creation of the giant monster designed by a bunch of artists and created with the genetics of psychically sensitive people. It simplifies the story a little but kind of makes me wonder what clues Rorschach will be trailing to actually end up confronting Ozzy if the actual crime has been tweaked.

I also thought the design of the monster might upset some people who see sexual obscene things in art easily and tend to get offended by it :wink:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Heh, this thread should be called: Watchmen Trailer (here is the ending to the film). It seems likely that there'd be various scripts floating about. Different scripts are written at different stages (the original idea for Ghostbusters revolved around 3 people travelling through time to capture various ghosts), and rewritten by different people to see what works and what doesn't. I'm not sure why they do this for adaptations and the like, but it's a regular thing. I guess it's also a decent way of dealing with people who get the scripts early.

Given Snyder's treatment of 300 and how several of the shots are directly from the comic-as-storyboard method, it's probably going to be as close to the original as you can realistically get.

Alan Moore will probably still be grumpy, mind.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

In an interview with Matthew Good (the guy cast as Adrian Veidt) he did allude that something will attack New York as part of his master plan, although it won't necessarily be that silly giant squid with a pussy for a mouth (it could be a giant robot for all we know, but as long as Veidt seemingly 'gets away' with his plan and 'solves' the problem of the Cold War turning hot, brought about through his own machinations, then no harm done).
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Death from the Sea wrote:So this movie is about a group of superheroes that none have any super powers except for one?
Actually, both Ozymandians and Rorscharch are implied to have slight super-powers. They both do things that even Batman would be hard pressed to match.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Death from the Sea wrote:So this movie is about a group of superheroes that none have any super powers except for one?
Actually, both Ozymandians and Rorscharch are implied to have slight super-powers. They both do things that even Batman would be hard pressed to match.
I can understand Ozymandias - unless I misunderstood the TV scene - but Rorschach? He's a good brawler and a decent sleuth, but apart from that, what did he do a regular human can't do?
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Bounty wrote:
I can understand Ozymandias - unless I misunderstood the TV scene - but Rorschach? He's a good brawler and a decent sleuth, but apart from that, what did he do a regular human can't do?
Rorschach is more an oddity in the same was as The Joker. He isn't so much a superhero, rather he's a person completely out of place in that world.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Bounty wrote:
Rorschach is more an oddity in the same was as The Joker. He isn't so much a superhero, rather he's a person completely out of place in that world.
That's what I thought. He's not superpowered, he just has a really weird mind.
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

-Ryan McClure-
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Hey, Ozymandias' got his golden suit back! The Nite Owl suit is looking browner than it did in the trailer too. Light tricks?

Still, all's looking good.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20213273,00.html

Article in Entertainment Weekly (I know) gave me cause for some optimism. Zach Snyder says a lot of the right things:

"In 2005, Greengrass was deep into preproduction on a present-day, war-on-terror-themed adaptation by David Hayter (X-Men), when a regime change at Paramount Pictures led to its demise. Enter Warner Bros., which acquired the rights in late 2005. Snyder was working on 300 for the studio at the time, and he was alarmed when he heard about the deal. After some soul-searching, his fear of seeing a bad Watchmen movie trumped his fear of trying to make a great one. ''They were going to do it anyway,'' he says. ''And that made me nervous.'' Over many months, and many meetings, Snyder persuaded Warner Bros. to abandon the Greengrass/Hayter script and hew as faithfully as possible to the comic. The key battles: retaining the '80s milieu, keeping Richard Nixon (Moore did consider using an era-appropriate Ronald Reagan, but worried it would alienate American readers), and preserving the villain-doesn't-pay-for-his-crimes climax."

Though "The catastrophic climax is different. Provocative bits, like a timely subplot about alternative fuels, have been added." is cause for concern. I mean... eh. I know I'll watch it in the theater with all my IRL nerd friends, and I know it won't be AS awesomely amazing as the graphic novel. I'm just hoping for awesome or amazing.
Shadowtraveler
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadowtraveler »

Sriad wrote:Though "The catastrophic climax is different. Provocative bits, like a timely subplot about alternative fuels, have been added." is cause for concern. I mean... eh. I know I'll watch it in the theater with all my IRL nerd friends, and I know it won't be AS awesomely amazing as the graphic novel. I'm just hoping for awesome or amazing.
Depends on what they're trying to do. They had alternative fuel cars (hydrogen cells I think) in the comic thanks to Dr. Manhatten's effector powers.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That's actually pretty sad. Electric cars were one of the most visible differences in the Watchmen universe - trying to 'add' a 'timely' subplot about 'alternative fuels' is not only deeply retarded and artistically bankrupt, but shows they've never even opened the book.

But hey, we all knew it'd be X-men 4 or Fantastic Four With Sillier Hats, right?