Watchmen trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Watchmen trailer

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Over at First Showing

The trailer first showed up on Empireonline, but it got pulled shortly thereafter. This'll stay up longer than YouTube videos, and it's better quality as well.

Also, word has it it will be showing before The Dark Knight this weekend, so no doubt a lot of you will get to see it on the big screen.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Ugh, I swear, copy/paste doesn't work half the time. This is the correct link, if a mod could edit it into the OP.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Shiny.

I'm still going to be going into this with no expectations at all, 'cos I know they'll be chopping and changing stuff from the comic.

As for the trailer Doc Manhattan looks cool, not too keen on the music but overall looks good.

On a side note, why is almost every director a 'visionary' director in trailers now?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

2000AD wrote:As for the trailer Doc Manhattan looks cool, not too keen on the music but overall looks good.
Never use trailers to get an idea of what the music in a movie will be like. Studios just pick stuff that sound good for advertisements.

The Watchmen[i/] teaser uses "The End is the Beginning is the End", which was the Smashing Pumpkins' song featured in Batman & Robin.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Argh, damn loose tag...

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

2000AD wrote:On a side note, why is almost every director a 'visionary' director in trailers now?
That is the news from Lake Wobegon.

The visual designs seem more palatable now that they are seen in motion, although the Silk Specter's and Ozymandias's uniforms still seem questionable. Dr. Manhattan's visual design is excellent.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I wasn't sure about Dr. Manhattan in the scene where he duplicates himself, but the other scenes featuring him looked excellent (ie him vapourizing North Vietmese soldiers and his iconic spinning clockwork lair forged from Martian sand).

And although I would've cast Rome's Kevin McKidd for the role of Adrian Veidt instead of Matthew Goode, I also really liked the scene where Veidt was smashing the hired gunman into a lobby water pool with a bronze ashtray fixture.

I didn't mind the passable V for Vendetta movie by the iffy Wachowski bros and thought LXG was total shite, but this could be really special. I've seen some behind the scenes production stills and they've included squee worthy stuff like the tubby newspaper sellsman in a green jumper with the teenaged loiterer that reads pirate comic books (although I'm worried about the details from the comic book being cut out or shrunk into the background).
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Who's the chick in black vinyl? I don't remember that outfit from the comic.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Who's the chick in black vinyl? I don't remember that outfit from the comic.
That's Silk Spectre. They redesigned her costume because the comic version would have looked terrible in live action.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

While I generally like how it looks, I just cannot take their Ozymandias seriously.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Who's the chick in black vinyl? I don't remember that outfit from the comic.
That's Silk Spectre. They redesigned her costume because the comic version would have looked terrible in live action.
Then they should change her name to 'silk slut'. Good lord, its worse than Catwoman.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Then they should change her name to 'silk slut'. Good lord, its worse than Catwoman.
Eh, it's not that bad. It honestly doesn't bother me at all.

Maybe because I've had several months to get used to it, since WB released publicity pictures back in March.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: Eh, it's not that bad. It honestly doesn't bother me at all.
It doesn't both me, either. It's tight, but it honestly doesn't look like it shows off much skin - no more than the original costume. My girlfriend has more exposed flesh on an average summer's day at uni than this chick. The high-heels are a bit silly, though.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Stile
Jedi Knight

Post by Stile »

A 100 ft tall Dr. Manhattan blowing up a running VC is always good cinema. :D
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Wow. That was pointless.

Now, I've never read the graphic novel, although I plan to before I see the movie, so maybe that has something to do with it, but that trailer did nothing at all to make me want to see that movie. There was no hook, no story that I could discern, no interest. Was the whole trailers just fanservice to get the hardcore geeks excited?

Will I be more excited about it after I read the comic?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

That trailer doesn't do any justice for the movie, none at all.
Get some
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Well for one thing, it is just a teaser, compared to an actual trailer. But I'd say it's definitely aimed more strongly at fans who are strongly aware and familiar with the source comic.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Schuyler Colfax wrote:That trailer doesn't do any justice for the movie, none at all.
Justice? Man, what?

First of all, it's a teaser, not an full-fledged trailer. A teaser's job is simply to make an audience aware that a movie is being made by offering initial glimpses of it.

Secondly, I don't know how you could say that it does the film no justice, because we don't know how good the movie is yet. It's much, much to early to be praising the film's quality.

Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Schuyler Colfax wrote:That trailer doesn't do any justice for the movie, none at all.
Justice? Man, what?

First of all, it's a teaser, not an full-fledged trailer. A teaser's job is simply to make an audience aware that a movie is being made by offering initial glimpses of it.

Secondly, I don't know how you could say that it does the film no justice, because we don't know how good the movie is yet. It's much, much to early to be praising the film's quality.
I know it's teaser. Yeah an actual trailer for a movie that comes next year, the freaking Half Blood Prince teaser hasn't even come out yet. Basically what I meant was I wasn't impressed.
Get some
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Ignore Colfax, Spanky. He's too young to appreciate these things like us grown-ups.
Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Ignore Colfax, Spanky. He's too young to appreciate these things like us grown-ups.
I'm old enough to appreciate the women in The Spirit trailer.
Get some
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Schuyler Colfax wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:Ignore Colfax, Spanky. He's too young to appreciate these things like us grown-ups.
I'm old enough to appreciate the women in The Spirit trailer.
Appreciating anything in The Spirit trailer just reinforces my point.
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

The visual style looks quite nice, very close to the comic.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Looks nice. But I'm doubtful about a 2-hour movie successfully encapsulating a 12-issue graphic novel and doing it properly.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)