Sinestro Corps....*spoiler alert*

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Vegi
Redshirt

Sinestro Corps....*spoiler alert*

Post by Vegi »

A word of advice if you haven't read this yet: READ IT ASAP.

Holy crap!!! Geoff Johns really brought out the big guns against the Green Lantern Corps here.

We've seen the return of The Cyborg Superman, Parallax, Superboy Prime, and the shocking return of The Anti-Monitor!!!

I really hope this plays into this 'Final Crisis' that DC has been alluding to. It would be a crying shame to knock villains like these....especially the latter one, in a mere 7 parter that spans 1 title and 2 specials. Afterall, we all remember what kind of firepower it took to take out those last two named villains in their last respective appearances...
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the GLs are going to have any chance against Sinestro's big guns. I mean, last time SB-Prime was in action he was taking out GLs left right and center without a power ring.
And giving the Anti-Monitor a ring strikes me as a little silly. It strikes me as something like giving King Kong a gun. Sure, he can kill people with it, but he's King Kong. He doesn't need one.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Maybe he just felt left out and wanted a ring.

Certainly a great issue, looking like the best event of the season thus far.
Vegi
Redshirt

Post by Vegi »

I don't think they're giving The Anti-Monitor a ring. If you read the Sinestro history section it says that it was he who actually gave Sinestro his yellow ring in the first place. Considering his history in the Anti-Matter universe that's not surprising. From what I gathered his roll will be more like that of The Gaurdians of The Universe.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, Johns wasn't kidding when he said that if Rebirth was ANH, then Sinestro Corps War is TESB. Despite the problems I had with Rebirth and Hal's return, the next six months are nonetheless,going to be fun for both GL titles... :twisted:
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Looks like the Jordan crybabies finally got the revenge they wanted.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

This story is going to KICK FUCKING ASS WOOYEAH!!!! :twisted:

If I were limited to one major comic book saga this year,it'd be Sinestro Corps War (Annihilation: Conquest isn't technically until next year, and even that one had a wicked prologue). Countdown is close (I don't necessarily think it as bad as everyone else, I think it's just failed to hit 52's HIGH bar), but Amazons Attack is fucking retarded and while World War Hulk #1 started off good, I have no faith in Marvel not fucking it up in the end with some contrived bullshit ending to preserve their status quo.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

GuppyShark wrote:Looks like the Jordan crybabies finally got the revenge they wanted.
Do you mean the crybabies that wanted him back or do you mean crybabies like me who thought they should have left things as they were and he should have stayed as the Spectre? :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I mean the crybabies who took it all out on Kyle. Hence revenge.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

GuppyShark wrote:I mean the crybabies who took it all out on Kyle. Hence revenge.
Does that mean they are fucking with Kyle some more?

I was just getting to like his separate but special relationship with the GLC as Ion: the Torchbearer. Even if they did have to stick a "Hal Jordon is so special" moment in the first tpb.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Kon_El
Jedi Knight

Post by Kon_El »

Tsyroc wrote:
GuppyShark wrote:I mean the crybabies who took it all out on Kyle. Hence revenge.
Does that mean they are fucking with Kyle some more?

I was just getting to like his separate but special relationship with the GLC as Ion: the Torchbearer. Even if they did have to stick a "Hal Jordon is so special" moment in the first tpb.
In the first issue Sinistro and crew captured Kyle and drove "ion" out of him. They then had Paralax take over his body.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

What...the...HELL?
Doesn't ANYONE stay dead in comics these days? (Silly question, I know, but given that the death of the Anti-Monitor was the focus of one of those GIANT story arcs...)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

And the action continues this week in Green Lantern # 21. A decent second part; certainly a slower pace than the special, but understandable. More good fun is set up, from the prelude to Hal vs. Kyle/Parallax, Sayd and Ganthet preparing to go SOL, and a booby-trapped Central Power Battery. Combined with the pencils of Ivan Reis and the coloring of Moose Bauman and the Green Lantern half of the Sinestro Corps War is continuing to look good...
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

I haven't read much DC at all, but I was in the comic store yesterday picking up some Marvel stuff and decided to try DC. So, I bought Sinestro Wars Prologue and Green Lantern #21. I am suitably impressed and will be following this storyline to the end, and will perhaps stick the GL titles into my normal rotation if this keeps being as awesome as it has been so far.
Jason B. Romano
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Green Lantern Corps #14 was excellent! Sinestro goes home and has a little fight with Soranik Natu. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Green Lantern Corps #14 was excellent! Sinestro goes home and has a little fight with Soranik Natu. :)
Yeah; this was something I was hoping we'd see sooner or later ever since Soranik's introduction in the GLC: Recharge.It's great to view the War outside solely Hal's POV and it's a nice taste of the fights to come; bring on Arkillo vs. Killowog... :twisted:

On a side note, some interesting tidbits were dropped by Johns at Comic-Con regarding the storyline. He reveals that the idea had been in his head two years prior the storyline and confirms it will run through Green Lantern # 25. But most interestingly, he confirms Sinestro Corps War is the second installment in a trilogy (with Rebirth serving as the first). So, returning to the Star Wars analogy from earlier in the thread, if Sinestro Corps War is TESB, I'm damm curious what Johns has got planned for a GL ROTJ (minus Ewoks, of course... :wink: )
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

Is Rebirth available in trade paperback? I may pick that one up since I've gotten into Sinestro Wars.
Jason B. Romano
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Jason wrote:Is Rebirth available in trade paperback? I may pick that one up since I've gotten into Sinestro Wars.
Yes, the tpb's been out for a year now, IIRC.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

A reminder to everyone that the action continues this week in Green Lantern # 22; I'll hopefully have my thoughts and reactions up in a few hours...
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

And my thoughts...Again, decent issue. Major developments with the Lost Lanterns subplot, with an agenda or two revealed. Plus, we get the countdown to a rematch between Super-Psycho Junior and, well, pretty much all of New Earth... :twisted: . A bit packed for one issue, but still good stuff.

3.5/5
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

Yeah, they did seem to throw a lot into this issue. I had a little trouble following all of the storylines at times, but it was still good. I'm really enjoying this series a lot, and will likely add the Green Lantern books to my regular comic list.
Jason B. Romano
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Some new info on the final issue of the storyline (and the post-Sinestro Corps period have been revealed at Wizard World Chigago:

* Rebirth and Sinestro Corps Special artist Ethan Van Sciver will be doing 10 pages of the finale in GL # 25.

* Van Sciver confirms Johns' SDCC statement that Rebirth and Sinestro Corps are parts one and two of a trilogy.

* The 10 pages will serve as a lead-in to this final project, due to be out in 2009.
Saint
Redshirt

Post by Saint »

You can bet that when Johns finishes this "trilogy," he'll be leaving Green Lantern. Johns seems to come on these titles with a long term plan, and when he's done his part, he leaves. For example, his run on The Flash climaxed with "Rogue War," and he then he left. His Teen Titans work, similarly, wrapped up with "Titans East." I expect he'll be true to form, and go out on a high note with Green Lantern, too. It's unfortunate, because Johns is the best talent at DC, presently.

That said, this business with Kyle better be a secret plan to return him to greatness, rather than kill him. If Kyle dies, Johns will be on my shitlist forevermore. Haha.
Superman's only weakness is kryptonite. Batman laughs at Superman for having a weakness.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Saint wrote: That said, this business with Kyle better be a secret plan to return him to greatness, rather than kill him. If Kyle dies, Johns will be on my shitlist forevermore. Haha.
Given the importance the Monitors have placed on Kyle over in Countdown, I find it unlikely that the Torchbearer will get whacked. My personal hope for Kyle for the immediate future is that possession problem is not wrapped up, i.e. Parallax ends up stuck in Kyle for a while longer. I mean, think about it. Sinestro Corps is TESB for GL; it would be the equivalent of Han being frozen in Carbonite.
Jason
Padawan Learner

Post by Jason »

Would you recommend the other Johns Green Lantern trade paperbacks in addition to Rebirth? I think there are 3 that cover GL continuity post-Rebirth.
Jason B. Romano