Dracula,vampires and sunlight

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Dracula,vampires and sunlight

Post by PainRack »

I would just like to ask, when did the idea that vampires fear sunlight creep into the vampire myth? I just reread Bram Stroker Dracula and in that novel, Count Dracula was clearly capable of walking around in the bright sun. The only difference was when the sun was up, his form was limited and so were his powers.

One can argue that water was a even more deadlier charm to his powers, considering how its stated that he couldn't just simply cross over water barriers(hmmm, is this where Tolkien got his idea that the Nine Riders were couldn't just cross water?)
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

In Tolkien's mythology, water was the domain of Ulmö, the only Vala that actively opposed Melkor until the War of the Wrath, and all of Melkor's creatures avoided water whenever possible. This appears, I think, in the early versions of the Silmarillion too (written many, many years before the Lord of the Rings). But it is entirely possible that Tolkien was inspired by cultural associations of water with purity.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Older myths and folklore all indicate that vamps either fear sunlight or are only active at night.

Vampires don't start with Stoker.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

The sunlight = death idea came from F.W. Murnau's 1922 film Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens, as far as I know.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Majin Gojira wrote:Older myths and folklore all indicate that vamps either fear sunlight or are only active at night.

while vampires didn't start with Stoker, the older mythologies had them more as devil spawn. I doubt that the devil was afraid of broad daylight, although demonic activity as a rule only occured at night.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Personally, I've always taken a rather dim view of the idea. A vampire may be pale, sure, but turning into ash at the sight of the sun? Not likely. I've been more the type to believe they merely have limited powers during the day, are unable to assume forms or utilize all their additional, unnatural abilities. Perhaps they get sunburnt more easily because they stop producing melanin? Maybe they don't.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

loomer wrote:Personally, I've always taken a rather dim view of the idea. A vampire may be pale, sure, but turning into ash at the sight of the sun? Not likely. I've been more the type to believe they merely have limited powers during the day, are unable to assume forms or utilize all their additional, unnatural abilities. Perhaps they get sunburnt more easily because they stop producing melanin? Maybe they don't.
This is difficult to answer because "vampire" includes a ridiculously broad range of fictional creatures. A melanin deficiency is plausible, but like you said that would only result in sunburn and eventually skin cancer.

I can't remember where I heard it, but the lethal ingredient in sunlight seems to be the ultraviolet radiation. UV light is murder on weak chemical bonds like those found in DNA. Nucleic acids are exposed during cell division, and since most vampires have rapid healing and shape-shifting properties I would bet that their DNA is rarely safely contained in cellular nuclei. The shape-shifting is a problem too, because the variable nature of the vampire's molecular structure would make it easy for UV radiation to break it down.

In some franchises, vampirism is caused by a pathogen of some kind. It could be that UV radiation simply kills the pathogen. In vampires who are sustained by magic, the sunlight weakness could be a deliberately incorporated part of the curse.
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

PainRack wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote:Older myths and folklore all indicate that vamps either fear sunlight or are only active at night.

while vampires didn't start with Stoker, the older mythologies had them more as devil spawn. I doubt that the devil was afraid of broad daylight, although demonic activity as a rule only occured at night.
Actually the "modern" concept of Vampires didnt start with Stoker but with John Polidori and his "The Vampyre".
Whether or not "The Vampyre" could stand sunlight though I dont recall, its been a few years since I read it.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Darth Raptor wrote:This is difficult to answer because "vampire" includes a ridiculously broad range of fictional creatures.
Which is why I yell "Just because it's nocturnal and sucks blood does NOT mean it's a goddamn Vampire!"
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I love people who think 'dying in sunlight' is silly, but all the other vampire powers are oh so serious. Give me a break: it's silly fantasy, and in silly fantasy the sun can kill vampires. You know, the sun as a symbol for holy light, god, judgement, all that? Their cursed existence?

But you're right. Vampires can change shape and live forever, but them being killed by sunlight is just ABSURD. :roll:
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

I think the sun thing is popular because it makes for more balanced dramatic story lines, just look at the powers commonly given to vampires; super strength & speed, invulnerability to many weapons, flight, immortality, mind control over people & animals, shape changing, regeneration from injury… the sunlight thing gives them a very significant weakness and balances things out a little.
loomer wrote:Personally, I've always taken a rather dim view of the idea. A vampire may be pale, sure, but turning into ash at the sight of the sun? Not likely. I've been more the type to believe they merely have limited powers during the day, are unable to assume forms or utilize all their additional, unnatural abilities. Perhaps they get sunburnt more easily because they stop producing melanin? Maybe they don't.
:wtf: so ‘but turning into ash at the sight of the sun’ is ‘not likely’ but everything else to do with the vampire myth is? Vampires are fucking magic ‘likely’ has nothing to do with it.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Given that John sees Dracula walking around London during the day, it's pretty clear that Dracula isn't that messed up by sunlight. However, I think the rule is that Dracula isn't superpowered during the day.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Given that John sees Dracula walking around London during the day, it's pretty clear that Dracula isn't that messed up by sunlight. However, I think the rule is that Dracula isn't superpowered during the day.
iirc correctly he was still extremely strong during the day but couldn't change his shape, can't remember how it affected his other abilities, didn't he still use mind control during the day?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think he did - he influenced the boat captain. I don't have my copy handy, and it MAY have been in the evening.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

Vampyre of Polidori did not died with sunlight - neither he was moderm, it was some gothic crazy dude. Dracula is really the moderm vampire, but modernity is something from the time of my grandparents.

There was a kind of vampiric creatured from orient that could not cross water -but Hardly Stoker invented it from there. There is however some old traditions about clear water springs to be home of good spirits and evil spirits would avoid it. So, he many have improved there (just like he did with the thing of sleeping in the home soil).
The sun really seems to be from the Classic Nosferatu and then introduced in later Dracula versions since the Dracula we know is rather Lee and Lugosi dracula than stoker.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

lgot wrote:The sun really seems to be from the Classic Nosferatu
Yeah, thank you, I already said that. Image
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Yes, vampires bursting into flames from sunlight are much more common in film and TV. I think the fact that it looks "dramatic" has much to do with it. Plekhanov's idea could also be quite valid, that the writers make their vampires to powerful for their protagonists so they need some kind of weakness to exploit. Hell, even Stoker himself had to make Dracula stupid, for the heroes to be able to kill him... Of course, nowadays the sunlight vulnerability seem sort of unnecessary, considering how easy it seems to be to kill the vampires in certain series. Seems like any idiot can show a stake to a vampire, and the vampire'll spontaneously turn to dust...

As for not being able cross running water, that is a trait found among many kinds of "evil things". I'm not sure why, but I guess it possible that running water represents some kind of purity or cleanlyness, which the unclean demons cannot stand...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

can fire kill them?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

ray245 wrote:can fire kill them?
Classically, many of the destruction rituals involved burning the corpses.
Browncoat

Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Majin Gojira wrote:
ray245 wrote:can fire kill them?
Classically, many of the destruction rituals involved burning the corpses.
And sometimes also spreading the ashes in running water, curiously enough...

I found another idea here, that the water = bad thing is due to much the same reason that a vampire does not cast reflections. That is, they have no soul, or rather, their body has no soul, as it is out wandering somewhere else. There was a belief that even normal people's souls would leave the body when they were sleeping or unconscious, and therefore they covered all water containers and such at night, so that the soul would not fall into the water and drown. And that's what would happen to a vampire or any other evil spirit (the vampires were more thought of like some kind of spirits that haunted people, and not really physical) when they crossed water; they would get trapped and drown.

Of course, it is a little strange that reflections would be that dangerous and that spirits can drown, but then again, we are talking mostly about medieval peasants here. Though the idea that the soul would leave the body during sleep, I wonder if that's lived on through the myth that you should never wake a sleepwalker, because he might then become mad (because his soul is actually somewhere else)...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Most bogeys, trolls, pixies, brownies, ghosts and other monsters from folklore only come out at night because nobody sees them during the day. Night is always considered the favorite time for monsters because humans have a natural fear of the dark, probably because real life predators often hunt at night. But real creatures of the night like wolves and bats can and do move about by day, so if evil spirits and other critters are never seen, it must be because sunlight is dangerous for them in one way or another -anything from losing special powers to death.

Stoker was as much influenced by Irish and Scottish folklore as Romanian. Dracula's brides are clearly patterned after the Baobhan Sith, the White Women of the highlands who came out at night to attack travellers by appearing as beautiful girls to entice their victims and sucking their blood. The difference is the White Women were repelled by iron instead of crosses or garlic.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=506750
One Scottish tale about the baobhan sith begins with four men on a hunting trip playing music and dancing and dancing by their campfire one night. Three danced and one played. One of them expressed the wish that they had some young ladies to dance with. Suddenly four beautiful women wearing green dresses came in out of the dark. Three of these women began immediately to dance with the three dancing men. The fourth stood next to the one who was playing the music. The music player became alarmed when he saw blood dripping from his comrades onto the ground. He fled to where they had their horses tied and hid under them. The lady wh had been standing next to him pursued him but she was repelled by the iron in the horseshoes. She circled around until dawn. After the sun rose, he found the dead bodies of his friends. There was not a drop of blood left in them.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

But do not forget than The relation between Vampires and reflexes was also from Stoker, who did not had much about soul in his work. It most likely that he picked a traditional trait (the mirrors) and added it without having any relation with the crossing of water.

That remind me of one old ghosbuster than they are between a werewolf and vampire fight in an island and the only thing they do is breaking the only bridge, since the fight would went with all vampires bitting the werewolves and vice-versa...
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

lgot wrote:Vampyre of Polidori did not died with sunlight - neither he was moderm, it was some gothic crazy dude. Dracula is really the moderm vampire, but modernity is something from the time of my grandparents.
My definition of modern Vampire is human in appearance, suave but still with immense powers.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Dracula was also killed by being stabbed with a Kurki, just for the record. :P
Browncoat

lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

SecondStorm wrote:
lgot wrote:Vampyre of Polidori did not died with sunlight - neither he was moderm, it was some gothic crazy dude. Dracula is really the moderm vampire, but modernity is something from the time of my grandparents.
My definition of modern Vampire is human in appearance, suave but still with immense powers.
Understood, but is is hard to get a typical romantic character to be called moderm. Fair enough but Rutheven was bit a exagerate version of Byron.
The romantic poets also predate Polidori in the transformation of the a bit smarter zoombies into eeire and more social characters (a bit when mixed with faery like characters and themes) with Goethe (Bride of Corinth - which was bit mix with greek theme, like Keats did with Lamia), Colerdige Cristabel or even La Belle Dame sans Merci by Keats.