Matriarical Greek Trade Fleet vs. Gor

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Matriarical Greek Trade Fleet vs. Gor

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Ok, Matriarical Minoan/Crete based government, full sexual equality, full citizen soldiers from both genders set up a landing and begin construction of a trade port city along an ocean coast somewhere on Gor. How long before they are A. Wiped out, B. Rule through superiour discipline, tactics and Trade.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Eh, they were only matrilineal, as they were ruled by a King, though they did appear to have full equality of the sexes (people are still trying to figure out why--I think it was due to the economic potential of a commercial nation being translated directly into their development and circumventing the normal structure of agrarianism, and economic potential generally translates into more freedom), unique among ancient civilizations. The problem is that they're early bronze age, and this is, well... Going to give them disadvantages against the Goreans.

...Might I suggest the Nubians, as in the Kingdom of Cush, which may also have been Matrilineal, was certainly ruled by many more female Pharaohs than Egypt, and around the time of the Roman occupation of Egypt or later (after their recovery from their duel with the Romans) would probably be technologically sophisticated enough to take on the disunified Gor?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: The problem is that they're early bronze age, and this is, well... Going to give them disadvantages against the Goreans.

...Might I suggest the Nubians, as in the Kingdom of Cush, which may also have been Matrilineal, was certainly ruled by many more female Pharaohs than Egypt, and around the time of the Roman occupation of Egypt or later (after their recovery from their duel with the Romans) would probably be technologically sophisticated enough to take on the disunified Gor?
Wasn't there a city ruled by masked women in "Outlaw Of Gor"??? They might ally with the Cushites.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote: The problem is that they're early bronze age, and this is, well... Going to give them disadvantages against the Goreans.

Wasn't there a city ruled by masked women in "Outlaw Of Gor"??? They might ally with the Cushites.
Yes. It was sacked, the women captured and collared.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

LadyTevar wrote:
Simon H.Johansen wrote:

Yes. It was sacked, the women captured and collared.
Does this crossover scenario take place before or after "Outlaw of Gor"?

In that case, would that city (I think it was called Tharna) be able to help the Cushites or the Minoans???

For all I know - I've only read excerpts from the Gor series (and I probably won't be able to stomach 200 pages of that drivel, let alone thousands), and Tharna might not be a seaport. (and therefore not of much use to the Minoans or Cushites until very late on in their campaign of conquest)

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Here's one thing, the Gorians are born on a lighter gravity world. Meaning the Greeks should be quite stronger than the Gorains.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
The Yosemite Bear

ph34r the Phalanx...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:ph34r the Phalanx...
Actually, the Phalanx formation wasn't developed by the time of the Minoans IIRC.

The Yosemite Bear

True, but it would be cool. to see...

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Simon H.Johansen wrote: Actually, the Phalanx formation wasn't developed by the time of the Minoans IIRC.
Not until the mid/later (Greek) Dark Ages most likely.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.