Digimon vs Pokemon

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

which series was better?

Pokemon ((go pikachu))
24%
Digimon ((lets digivolve))
45%
neithere they were both annoying
30%

Total votes: 33

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Digimon vs Pokemon

Post by Typhonis 1 »

OK which series was better IYHO
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Better, or would win in a fight?

I personally liked Digimon better than Pokemon, but only the first season. The rest went all downhill, got too complicated. Couldn't they just leave it at Warmetalgreymon :cry: ?

Pokemon has practically no plot and villians. Team Rocket is just comic relief, and the storyline is always "Pokemon gets lost/stolen, Ash/Other character has to go and find/rescue them", or "Ash has his Pokemon fight in some tournament or gym battle."

However, in a fight, Pokemon would generally win because of the various psychic and legendary Pokemon. SAMAS can go into greater detail for that.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

The dubs really dumbed down both series, though there's no real doubt that Digimon is the more mature of the two in Japan, even if they really lost the plot from 2nd season onwards. Both series have overarching plot lines, but Digimon is the only one which really does a Bab5 with it (Almost literally, given the fact that the series has now concluded the overall storyline and ended in Japan), given the massive number of filler episodes in Pokémon, especially through the Johto arcs. (Whirl Islands was a saving grace, but it came far too late) The AG episodes currently playing in Japan however, while much better quality (They seem to be making an attempt to grow with their audience), still aren't to the levels some fans would hope. In any case, it's still an improvement.

Which series is better? IMO, Pokémon, but only for the likeability of the characters. Sure, Digimon has lots of character development, but it has way too many characters across the 6 seasons, and it's very difficult to find something to like about them, especially towards the later seasons. The character designs also are a bit odd. They just don't look quite right. This improved towards the later seasons though.

In a fight....well, it'd depend who we were throwing at each other. Digimon's got some rather powerful creatures, but they're really more suited to fighting in tandam than 1 on 1, since they're often limited to a few specialized attacks, which one would expect to be their downfall against the wide ranges of attacks at the disposal of, to pick a fan favourite, say, Charizard.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Digimon had a plot, at least, although the multinational level of Pokemon made sure that the monsters didnt all end in 'mon', which at least brought some variety. The second series of Digimon got a bit convoluted IIRC, he was a bad guy being manipulated by another bad guy, who was being manipulated by the bad guy from the first series who wasnt as bad as the first bad guy of the first series. Etc, etc, and I thought that they missed a viable opportunity to do some philosophising in the second series when they brought the major bad guy of the first series back into some sort of dark whirlpool. Shame they didnt develop that really, but I gave up watching it after the 3rd series seemed to crash and burn over here... :)
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

If i had to i could watch Digimon... i can't watch pokemon. Digimon has better designed monsters also
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Oh, which SERIES? Well, going power-wise, Pokemon has the (aside from godlike villians) Digimon beat easily, since, without human backup, they can't morph into anything very powerful.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

But pokemon don't get very strong without people either. And if you go with a trainer being involved then digimon win easy. (when do you see 50 foot pokemon with firepower similar to mid sized conventional explosive bombs) Course i could be off because i haven't watched more than 10 minutes of either in years) Though digimon was a better series it got too confusing (movies, television all weird story arcs, miss 2 episodes and 40 make no sense etc...)
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I sat through the Digimon movie and actually enjoyed it, Pokemon just sucks ass, unless you are 3 years old.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

darthdavid wrote:But pokemon don't get very strong without people either.
Then how did Mewtwo get so freaking strong? Or that one wild Gyrados in the Pokemon Gold/Silver game? Or the legendary three whatever Pokemon that you are supposed to catch in each series of the game? :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Mewtwo was a human creation. You'd be better of using Mew, since he went toe to toe with Mewtwo and drew in Mewtwo Strikes Back. And that wild Gyrados wasn't especially strong, just a genetic freak with its colouring. As for the legendaries.....I wouldn't really bring them into a Vs debate, since they're both far too rare, and don't have any trainers. The fact that they've been beaten by Humans with High Technology and/or other high ranking Pokémon (Such as Charizard) just goes to show that their relative power level is overstated anyway.

Even if you go with a trainer/evolution partner involved, it's no sure victory for Digimon. Granted, they have a raw power advantage there, however they are highly limited in how they can use that power, as I pointed out earlier. What's the point to massive firepower if your opponent can easily avoid it? Furthermore, two other points to consider. Firstly, the Digimon don't seem to quite have the staying power of okémon. One surprise hit has often knocked them right back down to their Rookie levels, and expending too much energy at once has put them down to baby levels. Not exactly what one would be looking for in a fighter. Secondly, the Digimon's Evolution Partners are simple children. Pokémon Trainers might often be children, but they are often learning about their creatures, and how to battle with them, from a very young age, instead of being thrust into the role unprepared. That would make a significant difference in a battle that would go down to tactics rather than pure power.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

All the training and prep in the world wont allow a mounted knight to beat a novice with an m-16, now will it?
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Anyway, That's high powered digimon level firepower, pokemon have really weak attacks.
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

darthdavid wrote:Anyway, That's high powered digimon level firepower, pokemon have really weak attacks.

Yup. If my memory serves me correctly, 2 of the more powerful ones were able to defeat something displaying Godzilla-level fire-power. You're average pokemon only really stands a chance against the lower level digimon
Tatterdemalion
Padawan Learner

Post by Tatterdemalion »

Um, have you guys just not watched Digimon Tamers (aka Season 3) it was brilliant.

Anyway, yeah digimon takes it simply for having a decent plot. Plus D-reaper kicks ass.
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

Mewtwo

Substitute
Psychic
Recover
Amnesia

Need I say more?
lux
Padawan Learner

Post by lux »

I liked Pokemon for a while, then it got old. Then Digimon was cool for about a week. Now I just play the Pokemon games. :P

Pokemon is cool, the show sucks.
(''\(O_o)/'') For Pandaria! (''\(O_o)/'')

Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Badme wrote:Mewtwo

Substitute
Psychic
Recover
Amnesia

Need I say more?
Get rid of substitute, add blizzard and you're set.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

David wrote:I sat through the Digimon movie and actually enjoyed it,
Now that's impressive. Didn't the overall lack of anything really resembling a plot bug you?
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Exonerate wrote:

Substitute
Psychic
Recover
Amnesia

Need I say more?

I suggest using a Lugia, damn I forgot the best settings, inshort take blizzard, fly, recover, and add something, and your set.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Use Assegor!
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

darthdavid wrote:All the training and prep in the world wont allow a mounted knight to beat a novice with an m-16, now will it?
False analogy. The simple fact is that Digimon are highly undisciplined in battle, have a limited range of attacks (And thus, as seen in the Anime, are often forced to fight in tandem), and are harmed greater by energy use than their Pokémon counterparts. This compared to the disciplined Pokémon with wide ranges of attacks (Both offensive and defensive in nature), who can pull off these attacks in rapid succession.
And to top it off, a rather silly fact when you consider it, Pokémon have shown the propensity to have some common sense and dodge incoming attacks, whereas Digimon rarely seem to even try
darthdavid wrote:Anyway, That's high powered digimon level firepower, pokemon have really weak attacks.
And you've got some sort of calcs here to back up this claim that all Pokémon have weak attacks in comparison? You're also totally disregarding the versatility factor. You're not going to be able to pick and choose your opponents. A Pokémon is far more likely to have something that will do some real damage to their opponent than the Digimon are.
Shadow WarChief wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, 2 of the more powerful ones were able to defeat something displaying Godzilla-level fire-power.
A feat equaled by Pokémon on several occasions.
Shadow WarChief wrote:You're average pokemon only really stands a chance against the lower level digimon

Justification for this assumption?

Damnit, now where is SAMAS already. It's almost like the old days debating the PalletShippers...
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I hate both of them with a passion, but Digimon is at least vaguely watchable, in that the show doesn't look like something that came out of a cat's ass.

Biggest strike against Digimon: the themesong. The lyrics are, as far as I can tell: "Digimon, digital monsters, digimon are the champions."

Even that's better than the whole "Gotta catch 'em all" bullshit, though.

But it's not like my shit don't stink. I recognize that what I used to be into when I was a kid was stupid, too. Selected quotes from the themesong to my favorite childhood show: "Splinter taught them to be ninja teens (he's a radical rat)" ... "Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines (that's a fact, Jack)" ... "Raphael is cool but rude, Michaelangelo is a party dude"
Ahhh, memories.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Robert Treder wrote:Biggest strike against Digimon: the themesong. The lyrics are, as far as I can tell: "Digimon, digital monsters, digimon are the champions."

Even that's better than the whole "Gotta catch 'em all" bullshit, though
There is a lesson here. Do not watch dubs, and their mucked up songs.
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

Exonerate wrote:

Substitute
Psychic
Recover
Amnesia

Need I say more?
Only if you're going up against an Execcutor or whatever that thing's name is.

Standard Grep usually works a bit better.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Badme wrote:
Exonerate wrote:

Substitute
Psychic
Recover
Amnesia

Need I say more?
Only if you're going up against an Execcutor or whatever that thing's name is.
Which, as I recall, featured heavily in the metagame back then, and was frequently found high ranked squads from the original world tourney, including as I recall both EeveeTrainer's UPN themed squad, and Karma Charmeleon's team. This Mewtwo set's useless in G/S/C thanks to the winding back of Amnesia, but in (G)/R/B/Y, that is the standard.