FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Ok, what's your favorite thoughts on Arabesque Fantasy?

also what exactly can stand up to a shitload of Pissed off Jinn & Ifrit? (The 1001 Nights style where they are way more powerful, crafty, and evil)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

The Culture :lol:
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Read Open Sesame by Tom Holt, he's an English author so it may be hard to get a hold of the book in US stores. It's worth a good read.

Yeah the Culture might stand them for a time, before asking for a favor from a Dra'Azon.

Oh and I think it's D'Jinn.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
SHODAN
Padawan Learner

Post by SHODAN »

And, isnt that efreet instead of ifrit?
In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

My spellings are legendary, sometimes I think I exist in another reality, and thus inhaireted that universe's form of spellin...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I enjoyed what parts of it I knew.

Netheril can handle Jinn's and Ifrit's. Planescape would barely notice.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

Well, the version of the Arabian Nights I've got has such G-rated passages as:
The merchant took up a stick, went to his wife, and belaboured her so soundly, that she cried out, Enough, husband, enough;
and:
the Jew, not content with the exhorbitancy of his profit, was vexed he had not penetrated into his ignorance, and was going to run after him, to endeavour to get some change out of the piece of gold;
So yeah, I like the stories and all, but there's a brutal element to them.

As for what could take on Djinn and Efreets? I don't know, since they're the Demons and Devils of the east.

Hmmm, did Buffy ever fight one?
The revolution is successful, but survival depends on drastic measures. Your continued existence represents a threat to the well-being of society. Your lives means slow death to the more valued members of the colony. Therefore I have no alternative but to sentence you to death. Your execution is so ordered.

Signed,
Kodos, Governor of Tarsus 4.

The Justice League
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Yeah, the Arabian Nights are pretty fucked up, at least some of them...
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown