Magic Swords in Fantasy

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Magic Swords in Fantasy

Post by Kitsune »

I am curious what people feel is the most powerful magic sword in fantasy. I have suspicions that people might say "Stormbringer" but I have never read that series and I do not know the powers of the sword. As well, the sowrd out of the various "Book of Swords" sound very powerful but I have not read any of theme. The most powerful sword I remember is "Wolvesbane" from Simon Greens "Down Among the Dead Men" with has the ability to rot flesh as it touches and causes metal to rust. Both of these occuring at an incredible rate.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Excalibur, of course. When wielding the weapon, you can never lose. When wearing the scabbard, you can never die. That's far more impressive than rotting flesh and rusting metal.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Callandor from Wheel of Time. It'll work as a sword but more importantly it's the second most powerful Sa'angreal ever created. With it you can level a city at a stroke. Nasty little weapon, especially since it causes the user to develop a manic power obession while using it.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Master of Ossus wrote:Excalibur, of course. When wielding the weapon, you can never lose. When wearing the scabbard, you can never die. That's far more impressive than rotting flesh and rusting metal.
Hmm, I mean to the point where you attack someone with the sword, they attempt to parry, their sword becomes rust as thei atetmpt to parry it, then the sowrd cleaves into teh person and they quickly become a few cracked bones. It wa sused against a creature the size (my estimate) the size of an aircraft carrier and it did the same thing to that monester. I also attempts to control its wilder like many of these type of swords and it utterly evil.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Any of the Numenorean swords in LOTR are pretty powerful, being able to cleave the flesh of wraiths...but I have to agree with Ossus that Excalibur is THE sword.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

You can never lose with Excalibur? I've read Morte D'Arthur, and I specifically remember Arthur getting his butt kicked a few times in tournaments. He may not have been using Excalibur, though.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Durran Korr wrote:You can never lose with Excalibur? I've read Morte D'Arthur, and I specifically remember Arthur getting his butt kicked a few times in tournaments. He may not have been using Excalibur, though.
Only while you're actively holding it. So you'd better not drop that sword.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Stormbringer is pure chaos. It was created to destroy the world. It's sister sword was pure evil. Very, very dangerous. Very powerful.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Swords from the Book(s) of Swords were extremely powerful, and well a match for any magical sword you could name. Here's a link to The Twelve Swords

However I would also like to include Woman's Need as one of the best swords in fantasy, especially after the reason for some of her odd properties became known. "Woman's Need calls me, as Woman's Need made me. Her Need I will answer, as my Maker bade me" For the first 4 books Mercedes Lackey features 'Need' in, the sword has a slight curse: It draws the weilder to protect, save, or revenge any woman harmed or killed by a male. There is no way to fight this complusion. The 5th book explains why, and reveals more powers the sword can use.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

I can recall some of the Chinese kung-fu fiction stories... Grand Moff Yenchin is probably more quallified to speak on them, since he seems to be a fan of it. I've read a little, but my Chinese isn't that good. There's the TV shows, but not to accurate how that is. But assuming it's accurate, the Green Blood Sword (Might be Red. The word isn't really used commonly) can slice through things just by having light reflect off of it when it's stained with blood. Then there's the Dragon Slaying Knife which is supposed to be combined with some other sword.

Man, it all sounds stupid when you translate it to English.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

The soul reaver IIRC is fairly powerful. The damn thing has its own soul and eats them.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kelly Antilles wrote:Stormbringer is pure chaos. It was created to destroy the world. It's sister sword was pure evil. Very, very dangerous. Very powerful.
That might be because they were demi-gods in sword form? ;)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Stormbringer

Destroy nations, mess up the multiverse, kill your friends, be granted strength and power.....its all good..... :D

Of course, its better to say its the black blade that has these powers...Stormbringer is only a single incarnation of it.....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Keevan_Colton wrote:Stormbringer

Destroy nations, mess up the multiverse, kill your friends, be granted strength and power.....its all good..... :D

Of course, its better to say its the black blade that has these powers...Stormbringer is only a single incarnation of it.....
Nifty trick, that, isn't it? Endless Incarnations of the Eternal Champion, his Sidekick, his ill-fortuned Lady, and of course, the great city Tantilone (sp) .. and now Incarnations of the Black Sword.

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Godsbane was pretty cool, even if it wasn't all it appeared(Could revealing this even count as a spoiler anymore?).

I'd include my own creation, Smiter, but it's not published, so probably don't count.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

LadyTevar wrote: Nifty trick, that, isn't it? Endless Incarnations of the Eternal Champion, his Sidekick, his ill-fortuned Lady, and of course, the great city Tantilone (sp) .. and now Incarnations of the Black Sword.
Tanelorn.....subject of a wonderful Blind Guardian tune "The Quest for Tanelorn" their other Micheal Moorcock one I can think of being "Fast to the Madness" which is all about everyones favourite albino Elric of Melnibone.....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Kelly Antilles wrote:Stormbringer is pure chaos. It was created to destroy the world. It's sister sword was pure evil. Very, very dangerous. Very powerful.
Is there a powerful "Good" sword from the Universe from the books? Soemone was telling me that along time ago?
Thomas Paine

Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Kitsune wrote: Is there a powerful "Good" sword from the Universe from the books? Soemone was telling me that along time ago?
There's the black sword, stormbringer....the embodiment of chaos...
The white sword, its weaker oppisite number (it always comes off worse)...
And last there is the Grail, which usually takes the form of a staff which is the symbol of balance...the "good" side in all the tales....
There's the forces of Law and Chaos in eternal struggle....but either unchecked is totally destructive...only balance is good.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

There's the Sword of Shannara, from the Sword of Shannara books. Its big power is to reveal the most inner most truths of a person. This can often times lead to insanity for those not strong enough to confront their true selves.
LordChaos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by LordChaos »

The Sword of Bealu, assuming you can weild it. It basicaly gives you the complete power of a god, in that god's hight of his power. rather nasty. Course, you do basicaly become the incarnation of the god of destruction then...
There is no problem to dificult for a signifigantly large enough quantity of C-4 to handle.
If you're leaving scorch marks, you aren't using a big enough gun.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Exonerate wrote:I can recall some of the Chinese kung-fu fiction stories... Grand Moff Yenchin is probably more quallified to speak on them, since he seems to be a fan of it. I've read a little, but my Chinese isn't that good. There's the TV shows, but not to accurate how that is. But assuming it's accurate, the Green Blood Sword (Might be Red. The word isn't really used commonly) can slice through things just by having light reflect off of it when it's stained with blood. Then there's the Dragon Slaying Knife which is supposed to be combined with some other sword.

Man, it all sounds stupid when you translate it to English.
The definition of sword in Chinese fiction can be rather stretched. If you've seen Legend of Zu you can see what I mean.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Magic Swords in Fantasy

Post by Eleas »

Kitsune wrote:I am curious what people feel is the most powerful magic sword in fantasy.
Well, not really a sword but certainly a blade... The Subtle Knife. Literally cuts through anything; even the fabric separating dimensions.

Corwin of Amber carries another interesting sword, Grayswandir. It and its sister, Werewindle, carry the beginning and the end of the Pattern of Order (one of the two defining pillars of reality) embedded in the blade. The interesting part is that it appears the Pattern wasn't actually created first of the two.

But for sheer power, nothing can beat Stormbringer in the swords department. The Subtle Knife could, but it's not a sword.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

My vote goes to Townsaver. You literally become a wall of blades and by wearing a curiasse you negate most of the harmful side effects.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The Diamond Sword and the Wooden Sword. When they meet in combat, they would destroy the world (or rather, give entry to a horde of mutiversal demons that would do it).

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Stormbringer is just an evil class act.

Now, for raw power give me the Spear of Destiny...

Personally I like one of my ex-Gm's creation's "Ol Double Edge" we you absolutly HAVE to go out like Chow Yun-Fat.... (Allows you to sacrafice your soul, to perminatly destroy a single enemy)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin