killing hogwarts and other magical places

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

killing hogwarts and other magical places

Post by Agent Fisher »

if a muggle army could see hogwarts and attack it how would they fare against them.
if an infantry brigade was in middle earth could they conquer it.
and can gandalf and wizards from HP survive being shot.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

1. They'd win.
2. No, logistics dooms them, but while they have supplies they dominate.
3. Yes. Being 'shot' is far too vague (in the arm with a 9mm? A 0.22 to the hand? A 20mm to the chest?)
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

HOGWARTS-DOKEN!
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Gandalf might be able to survive being shot by a normal rifle or handgun(He certainly survived falling a long fucking way with the Balrog), but 'being shot' is rather indistinct. 9mm handgun? M16? 120mm Smoothbore? Tomahawk? MIRV warhead?

Anyway. Against low-power magical settings like HP world and Middle Earth, RL armies can crush them. Against middle level, it becomes a very bloody war, especially when mages realize they do their best work by remaining unseen amongst the unwashed masses until they pounce with horrific power.

Against the few uber-power settings, nothing short of MAD will save the modern world.. And maybe not even that.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Magic generally cannot go toe to toe with Technology in terms of firepower. The Mages have to be sneaky in order to pull some sort of win. Depends on how well a movement can go underground.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
FOG3
Jedi Knight

Post by FOG3 »

I'd love to see them try to take Paranor ie Druid's Keep when it's sealed. :lol:
Zaia
Inamorata

Re: killing hogwarts and other magical places

Post by Zaia »

Agent Fisher wrote:if a muggle army could see hogwarts and attack it how would they fare against them.
How would who fare against whom? The muggles against the wizards, or vice versa?
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

both who would win
being shot means small arms such as what a military infantry unit would have. excluding .50 cal sniper rifles. also small arms includes pistol.
assuming they are shot in the chest.

Deleted Double post
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Agent Fisher wrote:if a muggle army could see hogwarts and attack it how would they fare against them.
It's a school full of teachers and children. Some may have the spell equivalent of weapons, but it is still a school.
No, without access to supply lines from home they would run out of fuel, bullets, and food. They could get the latter from local sources, but without the first two things they would quickly lose effectiveness. Their vehicles would stop, their ammunition would be expended, and then it would be over for them.
and can gandalf and wizards from HP survive being shot.
Gandalf, I don't think any mortal weapon could kill him for long. The long fall with the Balrog (the impact to be precise) would have killed any normal human.

Your average HP wizard has no special immunity to bullets that I know of, though a powerful one might. There are charms to make one immune to fire and such...so I suppose it is possible.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Dumbledore in combat does not withstand any injury; rather, he uses his wizardry to have other objects block spells and such. A handgun would probably do him in.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Id like to see a modern army vs Netheril.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Jadeite wrote:Id like to see a modern army vs Netheril.
That's cruel. That's just too cruel. Sure, a single soldier or tank will assrape a Netherese soldier.. But once they advance too far, an Archwizard will flatten them all with Pulse spells(Incinerates everything within a ~7 mile radius in burst form, similar to the flash of a nuclear bomb) and Killing Winds(Bang, You're Dead Spell that covers several miles each casting.) and the army will simply be scoured from the field. Add in the insane lifting capacity of an Archwizard, and you get mile-wide mountains being used as catapult stones.

A modern armies only hope would be a nuclear first strike, and that's iffy, as they must evade counter-fire from Arcanists who can dish out isotons of firepower over and over, and they have a lot of area to glass.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Jadeite wrote:Id like to see a modern army vs Netheril.
How about Godzilla? Just as one-sided, but less relavent and more familiar
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

That's cruel. That's just too cruel. Sure, a single soldier or tank will assrape a Netherese soldier.. But once they advance too far, an Archwizard will flatten them all with Pulse spells(Incinerates everything within a ~7 mile radius in burst form, similar to the flash of a nuclear bomb) and Killing Winds(Bang, You're Dead Spell that covers several miles each casting.) and the army will simply be scoured from the field. Add in the insane lifting capacity of an Archwizard, and you get mile-wide mountains being used as catapult stones.
Where are the stats for Pulse? Iv seen them for Killing Wind, but Iv never seen Pulse before.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Jadeite wrote:Where are the stats for Pulse? Iv seen them for Killing Wind, but Iv never seen Pulse before.
Pulse does not exist as a sourcebook spell, but is from the novel Sword Play. One shot simply scours the vast majority of a cavern 'nearly a dozen miles across' of everything. Demons are vaporized with nothing left. In a flash. Hence my analogies to nukes. Survivors existed at the edge, past the layer of burned-to-horrific-demonic-death.

It can also be cast as a focused shot, but cannot kill a Pit Fiend in his own domain. It can fuck him up, though.

Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Sir Nitram wrote:Pulse does not exist as a sourcebook spell, but is from the novel Sword Play. One shot simply scours the vast majority of a cavern 'nearly a dozen miles across' of everything. Demons are vaporized with nothing left. In a flash. Hence my analogies to nukes. Survivors existed at the edge, past the layer of burned-to-horrific-demonic-death.
Ok, thank you. The reason I was wondering is I have a Black Mage character in an FR setting in which Netheril fell, but its magic was copied by other nations later. Which means my character is going to be able to use that spell, I would imagine its 11th level. Is it centered around the caster? I would assume its also a spell that makes no distinctions between friend or foe.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Jadeite wrote:
Sir Nitram wrote:Pulse does not exist as a sourcebook spell, but is from the novel Sword Play. One shot simply scours the vast majority of a cavern 'nearly a dozen miles across' of everything. Demons are vaporized with nothing left. In a flash. Hence my analogies to nukes. Survivors existed at the edge, past the layer of burned-to-horrific-demonic-death.
Ok, thank you. The reason I was wondering is I have a Black Mage character in an FR setting in which Netheril fell, but its magic was copied by other nations later. Which means my character is going to be able to use that spell, I would imagine its 11th level. Is it centered around the caster? I would assume its also a spell that makes no distinctions between friend or foe.
The 'burst' form centers around the caster, and apparently the caster can designate some individuals to be left unharmed. Going out on a limb, I'd guess it's one individual unharmed per two levels. The spell is likely 11th level, since the two wizards in the party were tossing around 10th level ones and couldn't match that.

I'm curious about your setting, but that should probably be shifted to PM's.

The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Post by The Drunkard Kid »

Y'know, if Potter Wizards could sneak into major cities and make them unplottable (make it impossible to put on a map, like they did to Hogwarts), Muggles would be severly... irritated, at the very least. Of course, we don't know what kind of limitations there are on that spell(s), so it's difficult to use that tactic in a debate...
"What's that smear on the wall, Mommy?"
"That used to be Spider-Man, honey."
"What killed him?"
"A zipper. Some said it was velcro, but the Daily Bugle said it was a zipper, and I believe the Bugle."
"Wow, he musta been real stupid, huh?"
"Yes honey, he was."
FOG3
Jedi Knight

Post by FOG3 »

Gandalf, I don't think any mortal weapon could kill him for long. The long fall with the Balrog (the impact to be precise) would have killed any normal human.
That is because Gandalf is not human. He is Maiar and a powerful one at that.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

FOG3 wrote:
That is because Gandalf is not human. He is Maiar and a powerful one at that.
Bah! Anakin's fall in AotC, was just as impressive (remember a human being's terminal velocity is a max of 200 km/h, which takes 5.6 seconds in a standard gravity to reach). Small arms fire, or maybe medium arms fire, should kill him just fine.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Hmm. Depends on the size and equipment, and if some sort of bulletproofing charm exists. The Imperturbable Charm might be capable of repelling bullets. We will probably eventually have an explanation of why the police can't deal with Death Eaters. If no spell to repel bullets exists, a force of a few hundred or so should be more than enough. With a bullet-repelling charm, much heavier artillery (or better yet, airstrikes) would be required. Gas won't work well due to the Bubble-head charm.
As already answered, no. Even if they had infinite supplies, a single brigade couldn't possibly conquer a continent. But they would dominate any foes they came across.[/quote]
and can gandalf and wizards from HP survive being shot.[/quote]
HP wizards are (mostly) ordinary mortals. They are a bit more resistant to normal accidents, as seen in the incredibly dangerous Quidditch games, but not inherently bulletproof.

Gandalf OTOH is a mystery. With the exception of the Balrog battle after they fell into the abyss, Gandalf is a very low-powered wizard. His best combat feat was the killing of six orcs in a single flash in The Hobbit, but he was trapped in the trees by a larger group and, according to the omniscient narrator, would have been doomed if he had lept down among them. Saruman, of roughly equal power to Gandalf the Grey, fled from Quickbeam the Ent. As Saruman certainly would not hold back his power, it suggests the Istari were vulnerable to normal physical force when unprepared. Gandalf the White is a different story; if we take his words literally, not even Anduril could have harmed him, so he might well be bulletproof.