League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Post by FaxModem1 »

I saw it last night and I thought it was top notch, it surprised me too with the plot twists. Now I ask where each character came from

Alan Quartermain

Tom Sawyer-The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The Invisible man-

Mera-

Dorian Grey-

Captain Nemo-20,000 leagues under the Sea

Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde-

I don't know the names of the books of the others, can anyone identify them?
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Alan Quartermain- ?

The Invisible man- The Invisible Man

Mina Murrey- Dracula

Dorian Grey- The Portrait of Dorian Grey

Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Joe Momma
Jedi Knight

Post by Joe Momma »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Alan Quartermain- ?
The Allan Quartermain books were written by H. Rider Haggard.

The Richard Chamberlain movie "King Solomon's Mines" from the early '80s was based on one of those books, though I don't know how closely it adhered to the original works.

-- Joe Momma
It's okay to kiss a nun; just don't get into the habit.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

thanks guys, I shall look them up at a bookstore.

What did everyone think of the movie?
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Haven't seen it, and I am rather reluctant, as Ebert said it was missing the elements that made the comic book so great.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

It is very different from the comics, but kept closer, overall, to the original legends than the comics(C'mon! Pride of the Empire an opium addict? The original Invisible Man still alive? Not a chance.), but still delivered a fun romp with the legends. If you're gonna be pissy about it being different from the comics, don't bother.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

So it doesn’t deserve the half star my local reviewers gave it? They've proved pretty reliable in the past.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Sea Skimmer wrote:So it doesn’t deserve the half star my local reviewers gave it? They've proved pretty reliable in the past.
I enjoyed it. I can't speak for you, Sea. My advice is to to Matinee, so even if it sucks, you won't have spent 8 bucks on it.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Post by Admiral Johnason »

It sucks that they didn't get to put James Bond's ancestor in it. But it was good. And I smell sequal.
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Haven't seen it yet but the critics don't seem too pleased with it. Not that I'm inclined to believe everything they say, in fact quite the opposite (I'm more interested in user reviews myself), just givin' ya'll the heads up.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

I thought the movie was pretty decent. It turned out a lot better than Wild Wild West (what a crap fest that was). I thought the most amusing part in the movie was the cop getting run down by that tank in the beginning.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Mina Murrey- Dracula

The authors are, first one's mentioned already, HG Wells, Bram Stoker, Oscar Wilde, Jules Verne, and well, I don't know about J and H.
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

I hate to give this away, but Sir Arthur Connan Doyle's main villian is the baddie in this film. I just can't spell Holmes's archvillian's name.

Size altered only because of Spoilers

HAB submarine commander-
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Moriarty, IIRC.

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Admiral Johnason wrote:I hate to give this away, but Sir Arthur Connan Doyle's main villian is the baddie in this film. I just can't spell Holmes's archvillian's name.
Blargh! That is something (namely, a spoiler) that you make really, really tiny, like I've done here.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Admiral Johnason wrote:I hate to give this away, but Sir Arthur Connan Doyle's main villian is the baddie in this film. I just can't spell Holmes's archvillian's name.
What the hell's wrong with you? If I hadn't already seen the movie, you would've just ruined it! You should always put SPOILER and leave scroll space before dropping something like that.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:
What the hell's wrong with you? If I hadn't already seen the movie, you would've just ruined it! You should always put SPOILER and leave scroll space before dropping something like that.
Arrrr, and you didn't shrink it down to spoiler size either, you dink!
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:
Arrrr, and you didn't shrink it down to spoiler size either, you dink!
Hey, I didn't know to do that. Besides, I won't give away the big secret of why, how, and the big twist and turns. Besides, there were only so many living villians to use, so by process of elimation, you should have know who the villian was.

HAB submarine commander-
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Moriarty, IIRC.

Sorry about that. I didn't know to do that.

HAB submarine commander-
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

M-O-R-I-A-R-T-Y.
The threads already been spoiled :P
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:Arrrr, and you didn't shrink it down to spoiler size either, you dink!
:oops: And no edit button either, um... hey look over there! *runs away*
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Admiral Johnason wrote:
Sorry about that. I didn't know to do that.
How the hell can you be here long enough to make nearly 1500 posts and not know to shrink and give warning about spoilers?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:

Mina Murrey- Dracula

The authors are, first one's mentioned already, HG Wells, Bram Stoker, Oscar Wilde, Jules Verne, and well, I don't know about J and H.
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was written by Robert Louis Stephenson.

And it's Mina Murray BTW.

Richard Chamberlaine has made 2 Alan Quartermaine movies by the way.

I'm not planning on seeing the movie by the way, because of the differences they made to the original work. (Maybe if it comes out on VHS, but making Quartermaine the hero and making Mina a vampire ??? Plus moving the whole thing to Venice etc.)
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

I have to say it. How can the comic have purists, when it pissed on so many of the originals?

Alan Quartermain is a hero. It's what he was written as. You know, Pip Pip, Here We Are In Africa, Bringing Civilization To The Savage, Jolly Good, Aren't We Wonderful. British propaganda. Of course, later in the writings he became more real and human, like what we see in the movie. I still don't know why they made him an opium freak for the comic. The only drugs he took were medicinal halocinagenics.

Mira's vampirehood is not-so-gently hinted at(Read: Hammered in) in the comic, so actually coming out and saying it was preferable. It made her less of a background setting.

As for moving the thing, it's a completely different plot. Entirely. But it stands on it's own feet, in my opinion.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Dizzy D wrote:
I'm not planning on seeing the movie by the way, because of the differences they made to the original work. (Maybe if it comes out on VHS, but making Quartermaine the hero and making Mina a vampire ??? Plus moving the whole thing to Venice etc.)
I far prefer the movie to the comic, actually. The comic was far more ... mature? obscene? ... in the way it protrayed the characters and the world around them. The movie took characters more closely tied to the original stories and placed them in action in a far more believeable world.

While sex and horror may sell comics, it would have ruined a movie like this.

Adding another topic to this thread, was it just Nitram and I that noticed the symbolic relationship between Quartermain (Old England) and Sawyer (Young America)?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet