Dorothy versis Data

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

une
Padawan Learner

Dorothy versis Data

Post by une »

Just cause I'm watching Big O as this is on...

Both are pale, both are robots, both try to mimic human behavior.

Who wins?
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I thought you meant todo, follow the yellow brick road, wicked witch of the west dorothy vs data in a fight when i read the title of thsi thread. Don't watch big o ye see. :roll:
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

darthdavid wrote:I thought you meant todo, follow the yellow brick road, wicked witch of the west dorothy vs data in a fight when i read the title of thsi thread. Don't watch big o ye see. :roll:
I don't think you'll be the last to think that.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Well, let's try to quantify Dorothy. I'll just mention a couple things I noticed tonight.

Despite having the frame of a very petite young woman, she's apparently too heavy for a grown man to move except by dragging her along the ground very slowly. Dastun, thinking she was a human girl, once tried to snatch her out of harm's way. He managed to sort of tip her, but basically stopped as if he had tackled a mailbox.

Nevertheless, she's strong and agile enough to flip herself maybe thirty feet backwards using one leg. This didn't appear to be a real feat, either, just something she casually did while having a relaxed conversation.

Given her mass, apparent strength, and overall dexterity I'd expect her to be quite formidable in a fight.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Oh, anyway, to the question:

Since I've never heard of Data being able to perform anything approaching Dorothy's casual rooftop flip, I tend to think he has a markedly poorer strength-to-weigh ratio than she does. And since Data isn't constantly falling through floors, he can't be TOO much heavier than she.

Thus I'd have to say that Dorothy would basically kick Data's ass. The amount of force she would exert putting her full strength and mass behind a blow would have to be massive.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Data more or less has the abilities of a normal human, strengthwise. Dorothy... doesn't.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Post by Admiral Johnason »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:Oh, anyway, to the question:

Since I've never heard of Data being able to perform anything approaching Dorothy's casual rooftop flip, I tend to think he has a markedly poorer strength-to-weigh ratio than she does. And since Data isn't constantly falling through floors, he can't be TOO much heavier than she.

Thus I'd have to say that Dorothy would basically kick Data's ass. The amount of force she would exert putting her full strength and mass behind a blow would have to be massive.
Data does have impressive strength. He is may times stronger, faster, and smarter than a human.
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Data does have impressive strength. He is may times stronger, faster, and smarter than a human.
True, but Dorothy would still kick his ass into next week. Having the strength to pull off Jedi-style leaps with one leg and be completely nonchalant about it is fairly impressive. It's really impressive when you consider the fact that the one doing the leaping is too heavy for a fairly big guy like Dastun to move, even when he's full of adrenalin and hauling ass. The more I think about this, the more sure I am of the outcome.
Drach
Padawan Learner

Post by Drach »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Data more or less has the abilities of a normal human, strengthwise. Dorothy... doesn't.
Umm...huh? Where'd you get that? Data is by far stronger than ay human could ever dream of being
Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Nobody willing to claim Data can win?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

GrandAdmiralPrawn wrote:Nobody willing to claim Data can win?
Sorry... Data's going to get his arse handed to him.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

The whole nonchalant while doing incredible unhuman feats isn't to great an accomplishment, all she ever is, is non chalant.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:The whole nonchalant while doing incredible unhuman feats isn't to great an accomplishment, all she ever is, is non chalant.
Yes, quite right about always being non-chalant. However, she still has performed feats that Data is incapable of. Data's gonna have his android ass handed too him.
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

I don't even remember this leaping on one leg thing :o
Oh and who ever said Data has the physical strength of a normal human hasn't seen much TNG :lol: He has probably ~10x a normal human's strenght, minimum.
"Do not worry, I have prepared something for just such an emergency."

"You're prepared for a giant monster made entirely of nulls stomping around Mainframe?!"

"That is correct!"

"How do you plan for that?"

"Uh... lucky guess?"
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

In my defense, I haven't watched it since I was 12.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Oddysseus
Padawan Learner
Location: Operating secretly in the heartland of the Homeland.

Post by Oddysseus »

Say what you will about combat. But no way Data can outdo Dorothy at playing the blues. She knows how to rock.
- Odd Jack, Jaded Skeptic
--- jadedskeptic.blogspot.com
- "The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry."
"The universe is a strange and wondrous place. The truth is quite odd enough to need no help from pseudoscientific charlatans." - Richard Dawkins