How powerful is Hogwarts supposed to be?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

How powerful is Hogwarts supposed to be?

Post by Gandalf »

I watched the movies, and gave up on the books. And most of the spells seem rather trivial, eg; the glasses repair thing. I often hear people going on about how Dumbledore is powerful and Voldemort is some bad ass dark lord.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Re: How powerful is Hogwarts supposed to be?

Post by Steven Snyder »

Gandalf wrote:I watched the movies, and gave up on the books. And most of the spells seem rather trivial, eg; the glasses repair thing. I often hear people going on about how Dumbledore is powerful and Voldemort is some bad ass dark lord.
I don't know. Hogwarts is a structure, a magically enhanced structure but just a building. I have never heard of Hogwarts actually attacking anything, so I don't know how 'powerful' it is.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Sorry, I meant stuff along the lines of the people inside it, and the such.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Book 5 begins to get into the more "serious" magic at Hogwarts. There is a lack of "Throw a giant fireball and blow your opponent away" spells, and an emphasis on curses that disable the opponent's ability to fight,
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

The curses can be very powerful.

Ava Kedavra (sic?) is a death spell, the ray has to hit you but if it does there is no defense, you die. The only person EVER to survive one was Potter himself.
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Post by The Drunkard Kid »

Well, to be fair, it seems they only mean magical defenses and personal armor. Every time someone shot it at Harry and there was something stone in front of him (tombstones, animated statues), the stone got shattered, but Harry didn't get hit by it.

Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to harm any living targets physically... Perhaps it's like a magical variant of Motoko's Zanmaken: Ni No Tachi from Love Hina (slices evil spirits/spells from the target without harming the human at all; if she performs it imperfectly, it also tends to slice all non-living things in it's path... like the clothes of the people holding the target...).
"What's that smear on the wall, Mommy?"
"That used to be Spider-Man, honey."
"What killed him?"
"A zipper. Some said it was velcro, but the Daily Bugle said it was a zipper, and I believe the Bugle."
"Wow, he musta been real stupid, huh?"
"Yes honey, he was."
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Gandalf wrote:I watched the movies, and gave up on the books. And most of the spells seem rather trivial, eg; the glasses repair thing. I often hear people going on about how Dumbledore is powerful and Voldemort is some bad ass dark lord.
Try getting back into the books. Things start getting really interesting in books 3-5. If you just stopped at #1, you're denying yourself some interesting reading. Along the lines of the more "serious" magic in the potter-verse

Are:
• the afore mentioned insant kill spell
•A torture spell
•A mind control spell
•possession
•legimency and occlumency (mind reading and defense against mind reading respectively
•resurrection
•limb regeneration
•teleportation
•summonings

The list goes on and on. The above is just what I could remember off the top of my head.
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Here's some more...

1. Instant object repair (Reparo spell)
2. Flying memos
3. Animagi and Metamorphagi
4. Various magical items (Floo powder, Marauder's Map etc.)
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

The Swamp spell which Fred and George created would make a marvelous combat spell as well.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

They're not that powerful in terms of combat, but some of their charm and enchantment spells are quite strong.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Steven Snyder wrote: I don't know. Hogwarts is a structure, a magically enhanced structure but just a building. I have never heard of Hogwarts actually attacking anything, so I don't know how 'powerful' it is.
Well...if Hogwarts is like Alexandria Castle from FF 9...eeeppp! :shock:
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

The Drunkard Kid wrote:Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to harm any living targets physically... Perhaps it's like a magical variant of Motoko's Zanmaken: Ni No Tachi from Love Hina (slices evil spirits/spells from the target without harming the human at all; if she performs it imperfectly, it also tends to slice all non-living things in it's path... like the clothes of the people holding the target...).
Now who in the world would actually try to get that spell right...